Nice Pair of IEMs for Under $40?
Nov 13, 2012 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

graphicdisaster

New Head-Fier
First of all, I stumbled across Head-Fi yesterday while browsing reviews on headphones and whatnot, and I am really appreciative of all the time and effort you guys put into your reviews and recommendations to other Head-Fiers. I think it's absolutely fantastic.

Now, to my original reason for posting.

I am looking to purchase a pair of IEMs as a gift for my girlfriend. Right now she has these terrible plastic IEMs that basically wash all the lows, mids, and highs together to create this wish-wash of disgust. It pains me, really. She doesn't notice it (and really doesn't care, haha) but I think that she will appreciate the music she listens to much more with a higher-quality pair.

She listens to a bunch of different music, ranging from quiet acoustic to some post-hardcore and metal-ish music. Her bread and butter is the quieter acoustic stuff, so I'd really like to get a pair that fit that style and genre of music, but that are suited for other styles of music also.

My budget is $40, give or take five. I'm a university student right now, so I don't have the money to spend that I'd really like to on her. I live in Canada, so I know that makes a pricing difference...but still post recommendations anyways.

Thanks!

- Austin.

PS. If you want bands and songs she listens to, just let me know.

Nov 13, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 16
Yeah, but, since your girlfriend maybe it's better and cheaper that you give her some in-ears from Philips. Great sound and design. [size=12.666666984558105px]SHE9550 for example only 20 $  OR [/size]SHE2675/SHE3575   also around 20$.
ADDIEM have a better for sound quality but I don't think it works great with every source(smartphone, mp3 player), because of it's balanced armature drivers, which are more sensitive... So you should go with Philips

Nov 13, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 16
SoundMAGIC E10 would be a nice option. Comes with a load of accessories too.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/581119/review-soundmagic-e10

Nov 13, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #8 of 16
Okay. I took a look at the SoundMAGIC E10s, and I think those probably sound most like what I'm looking for...

I have also looked at the VSonic GR99s and the Astrotec AM-90s. Key differences between the three?

Nov 13, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #9 of 16
MEElectronics M31 could be another option for you. I found them a little to mid bass focused though.

To compare the the IEM's you're looking at, take a look here.. (be careful in there it can consume and confuse)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-263-iems-compared-1964ears-1964-v3-added-11-04-12

Personally I think E10 is still the way to go. Good bang for your money. :wink:

Nov 13, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #10 of 16
Would they be suited for acoustic music alright? Personally, I think they'd fit my tastes excellently, but I'm not sure...

I have a feeling that I'll go for them anyways, and if they're not suited for acoustic, then it's just an early Christmas gift for myself. 
tongue.gif

Nov 13, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #11 of 16
Would they be suited for acoustic music alright? Personally, I think they'd fit my tastes excellently, but I'm not sure...

I have a feeling that I'll go for them anyways, and if they're not suited for acoustic, then it's just an early Christmas gift for myself. :p

If you mean the E10 yes, they suit all genres well. They sound worth a lot more than their asking price, I can tell you that much.

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #14 of 16
I did happen to look at the Sonys, but the fact that it's a J-split as opposed to a Y-split is what threw me off. They seem like pretty solid buds though. If it weren't for that uneven cable, I'd probably go with the Sonys.

Nov 14, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
I did happen to look at the Sonys, but the fact that it's a J-split as opposed to a Y-split is what threw me off. They seem like pretty solid buds though. If it weren't for that uneven cable, I'd probably go with the Sonys.

ha. cool.
you could always tape them to make a y-split and tell your girl it's your special touch :p

Either way, at least you've saved her from those horrible buds and possible inducted her into a wallet nibbling hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back