NF Audio impression thread.
Dec 27, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #976 of 1,292
I know that the NM2+ is being compared to the KBEar Believe a lot currently, given that they are both single DD IEMs, and they have a similar price. I’ve come to the conclusion, that for me, I like the NM2+ quite a lot more than the Believe. I think that main strengths of the Believe are its percussive, fast, potent bass, its extended smooth treble, and its ability to stay very composed and not sound compressed when faced with particularly complex and chaotic musical passages, such as with symphonic music or with metal. It is tuned really well, and I don’t find it fatiguing at all. I guess one could consider it the more versatile IEM, in that it can handle all types of music well. I can’t put my finger on it exactly, but just like with the FH3, I find it very competent and well tuned, however it just doesn’t inspire me. It feels a bit boring somehow. I find myself wanting to grab a different IEM when listening to the Believe.

With the NM2+, I find it thoroughly captivating from the first moment I start listening to it, and yet I can listen to it for extended periods of time, w/o any fatigue. For me, the truly special characteristic of the NM2+ is its imaging. It is still the most holographic sounding single-DD IEM I’ve heard thus far, and I find it better than many multi-driver IEMs that I’ve heard thus far. The bass is also more nuanced with better microdynamics. Both the Believe and NM2+ have beautifully tuned mids. The treble, while not as extended as the Believe, is still plenty extended. I also find the power requirements of the NM2+ are much less than the Believe, and I did listen to the Believe powered off the Schiit Magni, so it had more than enough power, and those are my listening impressions above.

Note, this is just my humble opinion, and there are others that prefer the Believe to the NM2+. They are both remarkable IEMs, it’s just that the Believe feels a bit boring to me personally, even after trying several ear tips and sources.

Edit: Updating this comment b/c I now really like the Believe, and find it does have holographic imaging. I just had to use the stock ear tips....go figure, right? Anyways, these are 2 superb “affordable“ single DD IEMs, and the best single DD IEMs that I’ve heard thus far.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #977 of 1,292
I received my NM2+ a few days ago. I don't have a lot of listening time on them yet (received my LCD-2F the same day and they've been hard to take off my head...) but so far, I'm liking them. I've tried both the balanced tips and bass tips and find I get a good seal (medium size) with both, but prefer the bass tips out of the gate. Very early impressions are that these do well across the genres I listen to most often, but boy are they not kind to poorly produced / mastered stuff! I've noticed some compression on faster, busier sections of death/black metal tracks, especially at higher listening levels. Occasionally cymbals come across with some glare (mainly crash hits in quick succession). The bass is fast and punchy when called for but by no means boosted / bloated (big change from my BL-03's). I like to hear the "snap" of the fast double bass kicks and these provide that in stride. Lastly, a very impressive amount of detail with these... That's probably the biggest standout for me in my limited listening thus far.

Other notes - I really dig the clean aesthetic of these IEMs. The brushed aluminum shells are simple, but in a good way. Very comfortable in ear. The stock cable is fine from a tangle and feel standpoint but I'm not a fan of the curved ear hooks. They're overly stiff and curved too tightly for my ears. Not unbearable but certainly noticeable on the ear. The NM2+ are VERY easy to drive. Zero issues with my iPhone + 3.5mm Apple dongle (~40% volume). With the Schiit Heresy, between 9 - 10 o'clock on low gain is all that's needed.

Looking forward to getting some more time with these across more of my library.

Dec 28, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #979 of 1,292
After getting the NM2+, just out of curiosity I am tempted to get the NA2 but can't decide if I should pull the trigger. I have the Tin T4 and wonder how do they compare?
The NA2 is quite a bit more bassy, but not bloated or bleeding into the mids. The upper midrange is not as pronounced as the NM2+, and the treble is not as extended. Detail retrieval is very good, like the NM2+. I have both (got the NA2 first), and think they are a bit redundant, though less so than the T4 and NM2+, IMO. I think the NM2+ is significantly better overall than both the NA2 and T4. Though the NA2 has a different tuning, a little EQ can change that on the NM2+. If one is really unable to tolerate the upper mids of the NM2+, or T4 for that matter, then the NA2 is a good candidate.

Dec 28, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #981 of 1,292
Can you guys tell me how's the synergy of NM2+ with BTR5 ? I'm thinking of buying the BTR5 for all my iems.
I have the BTR5, for me it's great with IEMs. Good in Bluetooth LDAC, but in USB DAC mode and balanced output it really brings out its full potential. It tends to get a little warm so with brighter sounding IEMs like NM2 + should be I think it pairs well.

Dec 28, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #982 of 1,292
The NA2 is quite a bit more bassy, but not bloated or bleeding into the mids. The upper midrange is not as pronounced as the NM2+, and the treble is not as extended. Detail retrieval is very good, like the NM2+. I have both (got the NA2 first), and think they are a bit redundant, though less so than the T4 and NM2+, IMO. I think the NM2+ is significantly better overall than both the NA2 and T4. Though the NA2 has a different tuning, a little EQ can change that on the NM2+. If one is really unable to tolerate the upper mids of the NM2+, or T4 for that matter, then the NA2 is a good candidate.

Thanks! Interestingly I don't find the T4 and NM2+ redundant by any means as they sound quite different to me. Guess I should save my money and spend ok the LZ A7 then!

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #983 of 1,292
Thanks! Interestingly I don't find the T4 and NM2+ redunt by any means as they sound quite different to me. Guess I should save my money and spend ok the LZ A7 then!
Certainly, that was merely my personal take, and we all here things differently. That’s part of what makes this hobby fun and interesting. I fully encourage you to save up for the LZ A7. I find the duo of the NM2+ and the A7 to be an amazing team.

Dec 28, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #984 of 1,292
Certainly, that was merely my personal take, and we all here things differently. That’s part of what makes this hobby fun and interesting. I fully encourage you to save up for the LZ A7. I find the duo of the NM2+ and the A7 to be an amazing team.

I don't need to save up for the LZ A7:sweat_smile::L3000:thou I don't prefer spending too much on this hobby as I realized few days ago I only have two ears.:k701smile: I will wait for the next price drop of the A7.

Jan 1, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #985 of 1,292
I know that the NM2+ is being compared to the KBEar Believe a lot currently, given that they are both single DD IEMs, and they have a similar price. I’ve come to the conclusion, that for me, I like the NM2+ quite a lot more than the Believe. I think that main strengths of the Believe are its percussive, fast, potent bass, its extended smooth treble, and its ability to stay very composed and not sound compressed when faced with particularly complex and chaotic musical passages, such as with symphonic music or with metal. It is tuned really well, and I don’t find it fatiguing at all. I guess one could consider it the more versatile IEM, in that it can handle all types of music well. I can’t put my finger on it exactly, but just like with the FH3, I find it very competent and well tuned, however it just doesn’t inspire me. It feels a bit boring somehow. I find myself wanting to grab a different IEM when listening to the Believe.

With the NM2+, I find it thoroughly captivating from the first moment I start listening to it, and yet I can listen to it for extended periods of time, w/o any fatigue. For me, the truly special characteristic of the NM2+ is its imaging. It is still the most holographic sounding single-DD IEM I’ve heard thus far, and I find it better than many multi-driver IEMs that I’ve heard thus far. The bass is also more nuanced with better microdynamics. Both the Believe and NM2+ have beautifully tuned mids. The treble, while not as extended as the Believe, is still plenty extended. I also find the power requirements of the NM2+ are much less than the Believe, and I did listen to the Believe powered off the Schiit Magni, so it had more than enough power, and those are my listening impressions above.

Note, this is just my humble opinion, and there are others that prefer the Believe to the NM2+. They are both remarkable IEMs, it’s just that the Believe feels a bit boring to me personally, even after trying several ear tips and sources.

mind telling me which ear tips that you used for NM2+?

Jan 1, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #986 of 1,292
mind telling me which ear tips that you used for NM2+?
I‘ve used all sorts of ear tips on both of those IEMs, and have settled on Final E tips for the NM2+, and ePro horn tips for the Believe....at least for now.

Jan 3, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #987 of 1,292
How do A7 and NM2+ complement each other in your opinion? What is better or worse on these IEMs?

Jan 3, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #988 of 1,292
How do A7 and NM2+ complement each other in your opinion? What is better or worse on these IEMs?
NM2+ is more coherent and natural sounding, with a single DD. It also images better for me, with better instrument separation and placement. It is good for all kinds of music, except for the most complex symphonic or metal genres, when it can get a bit compressed.

The A7 is still a really natural sounding IEM, especially for having 3 different types of drivers in it, but it still doesn’t sound as realistic as the NM2+ especially with higher pitched strings. The bass is more punchy, with powerful attack, and quite rapid decay. The mids and treble are tunable with the various nozzles and the switch. Overall, I find it more dynamic sounding, and that‘s actually saying a lot, b/c the NM2+ is definitely not a boring sounding IEM.

Jan 4, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #989 of 1,292
Yep typo! Meant the new FD5. Have been pondering selling the NM2+ and FH3 to replace both with the FD5 if it lives up to the early hype.

I sold NM2+ and bought FD5 last month, end up sold my FD5 and bought NM2+ again this month.

Jan 4, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #990 of 1,292

Users who are viewing this thread

Back