Next Step in the World of Headphones?
Jan 15, 2011 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

BRSxIgnition

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently purchased the TMA-1 Headphones by AIAIAI, and I'm enjoying them quite a bit. I like their deep bass punch and clarity. However, I have wanted to compare them to other phones I have had in the past, and others I have heard of. I have tried the SRH-840's and my local London drugs, and found them comparable, just not as deep as I'd like, but making up for it in clarity. I cannot test them against my M50's, because they have been damaged and Warren Audio never repaired them properly. I have also tried the HD-25's while searching for headphones once before, so that recommendation is not needed.

Anyway. Here is my question. What are some other $150 - $250, closed headphones or IEM's, which are good with Techno, Dance, Rock, Orchestral, and a smaller mix of other genres? I do not mind a longer cord as I would like the TMA-1's to be on-the-go headphones, and these as my home headphones. If it is recommended to replace the TMA-1's, then recommend me a way I can order them with a shorter cable, or get the cable shortened by a professional, post-purchase, before I receive them.

Are there any comparable or better headphones/IEM's for the price? Are any a significant jump up in overall quality? Are the M50's still the general consensus when it comes to this price range? I'd love to get people's opinions on this, because the world of headphones and their sound quality is looking great to me so far, and I'd love to explore.

Headphones and IEMS Im looking at are the:

[size=1.7em] Shure SE315-K [/size]

[size=1.7em] Senheisser's higher model headphones[/size]

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #3 of 8
Those have good, but varying reviews. Lately I've been looking at the Shure SE315's. Are they any good?

I've heard IEM's or earphones  (whatever they are officially called) are the best when it comes to a mix of portability and sound. Do they have good bass? Can someone link me some further reviews or info on the Shure SE315's or IEM's in general?

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 8
I love my TPGs. Monster Turbine Pro Golds. The Turbine Pros are regarded here are some of the most dynamic IEMs not only for the price but in general. Also, if you're looking for portability, have you heard the D1100?

Jan 16, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
I love my TPGs. Monster Turbine Pro Golds. The Turbine Pros are regarded here are some of the most dynamic IEMs not only for the price but in general. Also, if you're looking for portability, have you heard the D1100?

I thought Turbine Pro's or any Monster product when it came to anything was too overpriced for what it was, or that it wasn't liked much on Head-fi. Are they actually really good?

Also, the D1100's would be a slight step down from my TMA-1's, considering they're almost half the price, and more comparable to the M50's or other lower headphones.

Jan 16, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 8
It's not any Monster product. It's just every monster product besides the Turbine Pros. They're praised on head-fi, in fact there's quite a few threads on them in the portable headphone forum section. I forgot you had mentioned the M50s, so the D1100 wouldn't be an upgrade, rather a side grade. I suppose I could recommend the D2000, DT770, Hfi580/780. The Hfi780 is a great headphone. It's similar to my DJ1 pro. I wish I had purchased the HFi780 instead of my DJ1 Pro. They go excellently with your musical preferences, and they're easy to drive.

Jan 16, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #7 of 8
If they are going to be home headphones, why not go with an open pair for some contrast that way?  No point in duplicating what you already own (this coming from the guy who has owned as many as four closed Beyerdynamic studio headphones simultaneously)

Jan 16, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
If they are going to be home headphones, why not go with an open pair for some contrast that way?  No point in duplicating what you already own (this coming from the guy who has owned as many as four closed Beyerdynamic studio headphones simultaneously)

Yeah, that is what Im thinking of, so I'll edit that portion in the opening.

I mainly want something that is different, but still had good, deep bass kick, and clarity. I would prefer an earphone over an open-can, mainly because I have never owned any high end earphones/IEM's. But suggestions for anything are welcome.

And lol, why? Was there much of a difference between them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back