Newspaper front page news ~ Are headphones escape from reality or death trap?
Nov 10, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #31 of 67

It's not that expensive, my rent is cheaper than yours, you just have to avoid letting all your money disappear on nightlife and restaurants and stuff like that.

I mean yeah it's more expensive than the U.S. that's for sure especially within entertainment and hospitality, but you can work at a Cafe and get $15/hr, there you go, problem solved.

Nov 10, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #33 of 67

Quote:
So many australian head-fiers. It makes me think australia is overrun with audiophiles. Yet at the same time i wouldn't mid hearing you guys talk in real life. Australians have wicked accents. And if australia wasn't so expensive i would move there no questions asked.

Which leads us to the next question; why are there so few audiophile stores here?

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #35 of 67
Quote:
Even if there are, they are way more expensive than the ones in the States including express shipping to our homes.

Not really, the price of pretty much everything at that store in Kew equates to about the same price as amazon.com+shipping.

Example: They sell the Shure SRH-940 for $299, maybe you can find it for $260 somewhere online in the US, but shipping will come to about $40 anyway.

djwarehouse in Richmond sells everything at RRP so a lot of it looks over expensive, but they'll reduce it to 'normal prices' if you're a good customer.

We also have Ultrasone, which for some reason is cheaper here than in the U.S., and then there's the UE700 which I picked up for $99 at an Australian website.

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #36 of 67
Quote:
So many australian head-fiers. It makes me think australia is overrun with audiophiles. Yet at the same time i wouldn't mid hearing you guys talk in real life. Australians have wicked accents. And if australia wasn't so expensive i would move there no questions asked.

A Canadian telling us Aussies we've got wicked accents? I love head-fi more and more each day.

Quote:
The boom gates are annoying, walking through the emergency gate is quite normal, especially for teenagers.

My question is: "Why did father Santa Claus give Teresa noise-cancelling for christmas?"

She walked PAST an emergency gate dude, ignoring all warning signals!! how is that anybody else's fault but hers?? Blame the headphones? yeah right. Whenever I'm with isolating personal audio gear, I tend to try and be more alert with my eyes, defo not try to open a warning gate and walk pass a 'Do NOT CROSS WHEN LIGHTS ARE ON' sign..  as well as not bloody looking left or right..  but just walking straight to show other kids how cool you are. It's a pity she left her dear ones this way. Its a pity she had to leave at all, and as unfortunate as that has been, headphones can't be the reason.

Quote:
Not really, the price of pretty much everything at that store in Kew equates to about the same price as amazon.com+shipping.

Example: They sell the Shure SRH-940 for $299, maybe you can find it for $260 somewhere online in the US, but shipping will come to about $40 anyway.

djwarehouse in Richmond sells everything at RRP so a lot of it looks over expensive, but they'll reduce it to 'normal prices' if you're a good customer.

We also have Ultrasone, which for some reason is cheaper here than in the U.S., and then there's the UE700 which I picked up for $99 at an Australian website.

Don't forget Audio Technicas are pretty cheap too. Headphonic's 99 dollar white ES7 is the cheapest in the world!!

Ultrasone is just cheaper here than in the USA coz our local distributors are champ of champs

Only the giant brands with massive marketing bills overprice their stuff. Like anything in the Apple store. Bowers & Wilkins p5 as an example (499 AUD what?)

And Sony, Sennheiser, Monster Beats, BOSE etc

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #37 of 67

Quote:

Yes I'm aware of all the stores you mentioned - addicted2audio, logshop. I'll look into the Ultrasones.

Nov 10, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #38 of 67
Few other strange pricing occurrences that favor Aussies :-

Violectric is cheaper here than in the US, totally bizarre for a German product ~
$1048AUD landed here, $1299USD in the US.

Rega DAC is $880AUD over here in Kew Melbourne, $990USD full retail in the US
Again, weird, it comes over from England.

That said, we cop it for the LCD-2 ($995 vs $1,188), HD800 appears to be
the same price at $1,499AUD / $1,499USD unless you guys can get
a special 'over the counter' price which we cannot due to fixed pricing
set by the national distributor.

Little birdy told me today that 'depending' on local/national interest
we may have this masterpiece down here in Melbourne for audition
- nothing confirmed as yet but very exciting..

Cavalli Liquid Fire

Nov 10, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #39 of 67

Quote:
Few other strange pricing occurrences that favor Aussies :-

Violectric is cheaper here than in the US, totally bizarre for a German product ~
$1048AUD landed here, $1299USD in the US.

Rega DAC is $880AUD over here in Kew Melbourne, $990USD full retail in the US
Again, weird, it comes over from England.

That said, we cop it for the LCD-2 ($995 vs $1,188), HD800 appears to be
the same price at $1,499AUD / $1,499USD unless you guys can get
a special 'over the counter' price which we cannot due to fixed pricing
set by the national distributor.

Price fixing is illegal.

And AddictedToAudio is the cause of all the..  crazy prices lately.

LOL.. They distribute Violectric as well..  they did mention that Vios were selling well lately.. 

And for the HD800's 1499 price..  even that ..  is not..  ironclad to them. At their expense however, and depending on how nice you are :)

And as if free express shipping australia wide is not enough. Its a next business day arrival!

Nov 10, 2011 at 6:16 AM Post #40 of 67
$1499AUD is the dictated price by Syntec Sennheiser Australia, every retailer who wants the HD800 must sell at this price.

No more or less.

Nov 10, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #41 of 67

Quote:

Price fixing is illegal.

LOL.. They distribute Violectric as well..  they did mention that Vios were selling well lately.. 

And for the HD800's 1499 price..  even that ..  is not..  ironclad to them. At their expense however, and depending on how nice you are :)

And as if free express shipping australia wide is not enough. Its a next business day arrival!

Same day arrival for me.. Their customer service rep George is awesome - always replies fast and he will get back to you, a man of his word. I dare say they're better than Apple in terms of customer service (excluding returns and warranties because I've never dealt those stuff with them before). Highly recommend those guys.

Nov 10, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #42 of 67
George is indeed the No #1 customer service rep ~ he's also the boss! 
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #44 of 67

Quote:

Price fixing is illegal.

ive seen hd 800s on amazon that one day for like 1299. price was raised back to 1499 laterthat day tho.

Nov 10, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #45 of 67

Well the big 'rumor mill in overdrive' is whether this is the first sign of a new revision to the HD800.

Eg, Sennheiser reduce the price in struggling markets like Australia where it has not sold particularly well,
it could just be a pricing strategy alone or it could be a sign that there is a revision in the pipeline.

Much like the HD600 gave birth to the HD650 eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back