NEWS: Meridian Releases The Explorer Pocket-Sized USB DAC
May 7, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #811 of 1,072
Quote:
Hearing that you tried 15 different hubs, I have to take my hat off to you for exhibiting such dogged persistence to achieve your goal.

A determined attempt, no question about that. I gave up after testing one hub (OK, I do own only one :wink:

May 7, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #812 of 1,072
Quote:
I received my replacement unit as nicely package as the original one and the envelope included a signed (not a printed sign, btw) letter on a very nice paper explaining that this is my new unit and that they would welcome my comments on their standard Explorer e-mail address. So I must say I am very content with the level of their service (not counting replies to e-mails). So maybe it's a problem with your particular branch of Meridian...?

I received somewhere in the middle... a largish (about half the size of the a shoe box) box with no note, just the new unit in the felt sleeve nicely protected in packing foam.

As an aside, I've spent about 40 hours with the new one and have started listening to the HTR Microstreamer again.  It's hard to pick a favorite for me (all listening with my TG334s).  The MS seems to have a smoother, more liquid presentation, almost gives the impression of having a bit more depth to the sound, but the MS excels in dynamics.  They both are really quite excellent.

May 7, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #813 of 1,072
Quote:
Thanks very much for the clarification, Matthew - and congratulations for working out a viable solution.   It's pretty cool, really.   Definitely "transportable."

I suspect that your Y cable is pulling power from both the battery pack -AND- the iPad, though.  I've never seen such a cable that wasn't designed to pull power from both of the USB A connectors while pulling data from only one of them (the black one, in your case).

You might find that your Meridian Explorer gets plenty of power from just the battery pack alone, while your iPad's internal battery is conserved for its own use, by taping the 4th pin of the USB A connector that's plugged into your Belkin hub.  

See this post for details:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/615548/do-the-dacport-and-the-dacport-lx-really-sound-different/30#post_9292387

In any case...  Enjoy!

Mike

This all is very interesting. I'm learning a lot. Good to know this.
So, the ME is pulling electric power from both the iPad and the battery pack at the same time.
I wonder how it is processed. The power from the iPad is not clean (polluted)  and the power from the batteris is clean.

May 7, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #814 of 1,072
Quote:

I received somewhere in the middle... a largish (about half the size of the a shoe box) box with no note, just the new unit in the felt sleeve nicely protected in packing foam.

As an aside, I've spent about 40 hours with the new one and have started listening to the HTR Microstreamer again.  It's hard to pick a favorite for me (all listening with my TG334s).  The MS seems to have a smoother, more liquid presentation, almost gives the impression of having a bit more depth to the sound, but the MS excels in dynamics.  They both are really quite excellent.

hello jkbkot and bobeau,

thanks for your response - were you dealing with Meridian USA and a gentleman named Ron Lennox?

i also was curious about receiving just the unit itself as there is no serial number attached to the actual device - not sure what to make of this (and down the future if it requires service through warranty, etc.) ...

best,

May 9, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #815 of 1,072
This all is very interesting. I'm learning a lot. Good to know this.
So, the ME is pulling electric power from both the iPad and the battery pack at the same time.
I wonder how it is processed. The power from the iPad is not clean (polluted)  and the power from the batteris is clean.

I had chance to properly try out the new set up on a 90 min train jounrey into work. All I can say is its amazing and the best combo I've ever heard. I have Shure SE25s and the silence is incredible, I've never heard (or not heard!) anything like it. I've read elsewhere about 'dirty' power adding noise, pops and clicks but I've had no problems at all.

A determined attempt, no question about that. I gave up after testing one hub (OK, I do own only one :wink:

Thanks very much. Having spent £200 on the ME I was too stubborn to give up and send it back......so took full advantage of Amazons returns policy trying out usb hubs

May 10, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #816 of 1,072
Just picked up a Explorer today from local hifi store. Great sounding unit. While in the store I tested it coupled with the Musical fidelity M1 HPA and boy did THAT make a great combo. Sounded fantastic with my hd650's. Then I tried with their HD800s.... wow. Although IMO the 800's are so freaking unconfortable. Whats up with that? O.o

May 11, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #817 of 1,072
FInally got the RMA authorization and shipping label (UPS 3 day select) from Jason Baker and Ron Lennox. First Jason requested I ship the DAC by itself, sans box and accessories. I wanted a box with the new serial number however, so they agreed that I return everything to them. The box is in the hands of UPS now... Hopefully it will be quick...

The interesting thing is that the (now departed) Explorer was sounding better than ever as a DAC into my Marantz 7 tube preamp.

May 14, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #819 of 1,072
It took a while to get my shipping label, which of course arrived while I was out of town, so it took even more time to ship my original device back. Once I did, it arrived at the Georgia facility at lunchtime, and a new one shipped out that afternoon, according to the corresponding tracking reports. So the process went as quickly as possible once I sent it back. The new device arrived rather unceremoniously sandwiched in foam, in the felt pouch (perhaps the one I'd sent the original back in), and covered in transparent protective film. And a plastic plug in the line out jack. No other accessories or documentation. 

I confirmed basic operation, but no lengthy critical listening. Initial impressions from my complete-at-long-last desktop listening station were quite positive. Superior resolution compared with my MacBook's DAC was immediately noticeable with Airmotiv 4s. Also apparent after briefly listening with HD-650s is substantially superior sound from an Asgard 2 fed with the Explorer's line out compared with directly connecting to Explorer's integrated headphone amp. All of which is as it should be, although I was somewhat surprised at the A2's immediately apparent superiority. Pretty happy with the rig so far, and it seems well-matched. Although, for now, I'm mostly just relieved to have everything finally shipped and fully operational. 

While the Explorer/A2 sagas were unfolding, I made yet another impulse upgrade to the stereo speakers of the family home theater, which now sports bi-amped PSB B6s driven by a Denon AVR-1712. Although I don't get the opportunity to do much serious listening there, it's nice to deploy the Explorer on that system, too. I've yet to carefully assess the impact of the upgrade over the AVR's DAC, but I presume it'll be discernible if not obvious. If nothing else, Explorer upgrades capability to 192 kHz listening, and otherwise seems reasonably well-placed in class with the downstream home theater kit. 

So that's at least four high-quality listening applications I'm getting out of this source, which is gratifyingly versatile. Output impedance drama aside, seems like a good investment.

May 17, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #820 of 1,072
Devices like these are cool, and helpful, and do the job, but in China on TaoBao, eTao, Tmall, etc. they can be purchased for 60 RMB (approx. $9.66), not $300 dollars.

May 17, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #821 of 1,072
The perfect amplifier for the HD800 is made by Senn themselves. The new HDV800 has an output impedance of... 43ohms. Let the Genius do their job once again.

I was not a fool and I still have my explorer first version. As it is 47ohms it will drive the Senn HD650/700/800 better than the revised version for those who wanna drive tiny earbuds.

May 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #823 of 1,072
Quote:
Devices like these are cool, and helpful, and do the job, but in China on TaoBao, eTao, Tmall, etc. they can be purchased for 60 RMB (approx. $9.66), not $300 dollars.

Sure I know what your talking about. Stuff like this..

Lol.. You better start reading about Meridian and educate yourself.

May 19, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #824 of 1,072
Lol.. You better start reading about Meridian and educate yourself.

How about we just listen and see which has better value for price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back