NEWS: Meridian Releases The Explorer Pocket-Sized USB DAC
Apr 30, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #782 of 1,072
One heads-up for OSX users -- the Explorer seems to default to full output via its HP out, either when plugged in cold or if iTunes pauses -- this may be an iTunes-specific glitch, but worth unplugging your phones between uses just in case. I'll check this out with other programs this aft.

o

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #783 of 1,072
Quote:
My serial number does not look anything like that, its 8 characters long and does not start with 'MA'...

An approximate inventory date may also be useful in determining whether you're purchasing a revised unit.
I purchased the Explorer on March 23rd. I was told that the revised unit had just flown in from Meridian UK on the 21st (I live in Canada). 

I would probably be careful in purchasing a unit that's been in the reseller's inventory prior to the second half of March 2013. 

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #785 of 1,072
Quote:
One heads-up for OSX users -- the Explorer seems to default to full output via its HP out, either when plugged in cold or if iTunes pauses -- this may be an iTunes-specific glitch, but worth unplugging your phones between uses just in case. I'll check this out with other programs this aft.

o

What does the 'full output via its HP out' mean???

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #786 of 1,072
Quote:
Quote:
What does the 'full output via its HP out' mean???

It means that the Explorer's amp defaults to 11. Not a good thing for headphones connected to it. As I said, this may be an MA/iTunes glitch -- perhaps others can chime in.

o

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #787 of 1,072
Quote:
Took delivery of mine yesterday, have maybe 4 hours or so on it now.  Performance-wise w/ my TG 334s, it's quite close to the Microstreamer now, perhaps has a slight edge in detail and tautness to the sound (granted though that could still be due to the higher impedance, which appears to have that effect on the TG 334).  It will probably take me a couple weeks to determine which one I prefer, but to my ears both are clear step ups from the Dragonfly.

To those having trouble getting feedback from Meridian - only thing I can say is be persistent, include you prior attempts in your messages.  Contact your dealer to see if they can help out.  

Glad you got yours.  Not only did mine not come in, I just got a message that mine had in fact never shipped when in fact I was assured I'd get the replacement first.  At this point I'm fed up with this product and am not pursuing it any further.

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #788 of 1,072
Quote:

An approximate inventory date may also be useful in determining whether you're purchasing a revised unit.
I purchased the Explorer on March 23rd. I was told that the revised unit had just flown in from Meridian UK on the 21st (I live in Canada). 

I would probably be careful in purchasing a unit that's been in the reseller's inventory prior to the second half of March 2013. 

I got mine on the 19th of February... so I'm quite sure its an old version.

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #789 of 1,072
Glad you got yours.  Not only did mine not come in, I just got a message that mine had in fact never shipped when in fact I was assured I'd get the replacement first.  At this point I'm fed up with this product and am not pursuing it any further.

Radiohead,
I am also dreaming that in the near future, these small batch of "original" units will be "a rare diamond" that head-fiers looking for......lol
I can relate to your frustration although in my case they have not even sent me any new messages since early March.
Wedged, smack dab in the middle, is it headphone-intended Dac or is it a line out Dac? Although my FLAC Player could reproduce up to 24/96 sound quality using IPad 2 or mini-CCK-belkin USB AC powered hub 5V 2A-line out Meridian Explorer not headphone out-RCA into my antique stereo system of Adcom Preamp feeding Magnepan MMG plus Velodyne sub HGS12. Oh wait....this meridian is not portable at all.....hahaha kidding.
I can hook up my HE400 thru meridian line out feeding my ALO Continental V2. I need to save for portable battery power feeding my Belkin USB hub, to make it a "brick-able" portable gears......hahaha I would try my fellow head-fier-zilch0md's suggestion of using Anker Astro3 LiPo battery pack on 5V as my portable clean power supply of the USB hub. Anybody with an iPad and a Dac has similar success? Or by not sharing or posting, you guys are as paranoid as I am that Apple might change the IOS to kill this success?...hahaha
OK, has anybody follow my post here to see how big my man-bag would be?.....hahaha the brick will be IPad + USB hub + battery power pack + Meridian + Continental + HE400.

Picture of USB hub powered Meridian thru Jolida FX10.

OK have a good week.

Cheers Big Ears

Apr 30, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #790 of 1,072
Quote:

Bummer, the customer service definitely is not to par here.  Not uh, smeggy levels, but I digress...

So you were offered to get a replacement in first before sending your current back?  The process I went through was getting an RMA slip, shipping to Meridian on the east coast, then waiting for the replacement.  Total turnaround was 10 business days.

May 2, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #791 of 1,072
Quote:

Bummer, the customer service definitely is not to par here.  Not uh, smeggy levels, but I digress...

So you were offered to get a replacement in first before sending your current back?  The process I went through was getting an RMA slip, shipping to Meridian on the east coast, then waiting for the replacement.  Total turnaround was 10 business days.

A request please: if you still have your 1st gen Meridian, could you please via the USB bus information (for instance, on a mac) and see the version number? I am trying to figure out, as was a recent poster, a way to distinguish between the first iteration of the device and the 'improved' version.

Thanks in advance!

May 3, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #792 of 1,072
Quote:

A request please: if you still have your 1st gen Meridian, could you please via the USB bus information (for instance, on a mac) and see the version number? I am trying to figure out, as was a recent poster, a way to distinguish between the first iteration of the device and the 'improved' version.

Thanks in advance!

Here's a cap of info from the latest version -- this may be the one you have, so please feel free to ignore:

[size=11.0pt]Meridian Explorer USB DAC:[/size]

[size=11.0pt]  Product ID:                         0x0011[/size]
[size=11.0pt]  Vendor ID:                          0x1cba[/size]
[size=11.0pt]  Version:                              13.47[/size]
[size=11.0pt]  Serial Number:                  030005BD[/size]
[size=11.0pt]  Speed:                                 Up to 480 Mb/sec[/size]
[size=11.0pt]  Manufacturer:                   Meridian [/size]
[size=11.0pt]  Location ID:                       0xfa130000 / 6[/size]
[size=11.0pt]  Current Available (mA):   500[/size]
[size=11.0pt]  Current Required (mA):   500[/size]

May 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #793 of 1,072
Quote:
 Here's a cap of info from the latest version -- this may be the one you have, so please feel free to ignore:

[size=11.0pt]Meridian Explorer USB DAC:[/size]

[size=11.0pt]  Product ID:                         0x0011[/size]
[size=11.0pt]  Vendor ID:                          0x1cba[/size]
[size=11.0pt]  Version:                              13.47[/size]
[size=11.0pt]  Serial Number:                  030005BD[/size]
[size=11.0pt]  Speed:                                 Up to 480 Mb/sec[/size]
[size=11.0pt]  Manufacturer:                   Meridian [/size]
[size=11.0pt]  Location ID:                       0xfa130000 / 6[/size]
[size=11.0pt]  Current Available (mA):   500[/size]
[size=11.0pt]  Current Required (mA):   500[/size]

thanks orkney!

this is the same version number i have (13.47) - i was curious to see if the 1st batch had a different number ...

best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back