NEWS: Meridian Releases The Explorer Pocket-Sized USB DAC
Apr 16, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #753 of 1,072
Simple stick, but don't do very much.

No No for me.

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #755 of 1,072
Yes, contact with the explorer@ official address is terrible. They answer to every third message sent to them in a way that does not bring anything to the table.

I wanted to find out how to order the revised version of Explorer where I live. I was told twice that local dealership will contact me... and nothing has happened so far. It's been over 2 weeks now. I am ready to pay for the device right away. The problem is nobody is actually willing to sell it to me/tell me where to buy it.

I also asked for serial numbers re recognizing revised Explorers from the the initial nigh impedance batch, twice. Those emails also remained unanswered.

The stunts Meridian is pulling with the very much bull**** support provided via explorer@meridian.com is beyond silly. This is truly making me reconsider :frowning2:

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #756 of 1,072
Since you didn't mention where you are located, it is difficult for anyone to recommend a local dealer.  You are asking for a lot of support from a company with whom you are not currently a customer.  What do you expect?

Apr 19, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #757 of 1,072
Quote:
Since you didn't mention where you are located, it is difficult for anyone to recommend a local dealer.  You are asking for a lot of support from a company with whom you are not currently a customer.  What do you expect?

Asking a manufacturer which of their local supposedly authorized resellers can possibly sell a version of their product is "asking for a lot of support", especially as they supposedly dedicate a specialized branch of their company just to provide such information (as they themselves claim)? You are being silly :D ..and I did not ask anybody to recommend me anything.

When I sent similar request to Krell when I was shopping for their components several months back, they called me right back, from the US on an European cell answering all my questions pretty much automatically. When I approached Berkeley Audio Design re their dacs and usb units they answered my email after exactly 6 minutes. LMAO, even 'local' amazon.de writes back almost instantly and I can imagine they do have thousands of customers bugging them at any given moment.

Quality of service is care and flexibility, not making the customer feel like a company is making them big favors generously selling their products to them.

Apr 20, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #758 of 1,072
just got my replacement in the mail, took about two weeks in total. I have not used it yet as it is primarily for work. While I certainly did not appreciate the downtime (as I had to buy another option in the meantime), the company did make good on the replacement so I do appreciate that aspect of it

make sure you are at home, they did not require signature on my package and it was left on my doorstep, when I came home from work.

Apr 21, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #759 of 1,072
Quote:
I haven't changed mine yet but I'm planning to do it in a couple of weeks when I'm going to be away for a few days. However, I'm a little worried about what I'll receive.

Although Meridian's PDF form was reassuring in that it said that a replacement would be sent within two days, their reply to my email was somewhat bizarre: "If you’re experiencing problems with your current Explorer we’re able to exchange this for a version with a higher output to drive your “hard to drive” devices". Given that the 'devices' I specifically cited were my Westone 4R and Sennheiser Momentum and I noted the high output impedance issue I'm puzzled. If these are 'hard to drive' what does that make my HD800? I don't want a higher output, I just want a lower output impedance.

My concern is that I'm currently more than happy with the DAC performance and I don't want to loose that, so I'm a little reluctant to return it; I just want the headphone out to be better for when I'm traveling with my laptop (and with possible future resale in mind), but everything else left as now. Does anyone know how they've lowered the impedence of the revised version?

On the subject of USB power conditioning I've been using the iFi device with the Explorer for a while and it does make a considerable difference in my rig. While that isn't unexpected given that my mains power is quite dirty, what surprised me was that it still sounded better in a much cleaner AC environment. For example, for a bit of fun I took my ME/iFi rig over to a friends house where we pitched it up against his Weiss DAC202 using Firewire. It should have been a complete miss-match but we were both shocked at how good the ME/iFi combo sounded. The Weiss was better but it was much closer than I would ever have expected when the iFi was in the chain. A terrific combination IMO.

My desk may be old and scruffy, but the sound certainly isn't!

Hi Dude,

Where did you get that stand ? Cool !
gs1000.gif

Apr 21, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #760 of 1,072
Quote:

Asking a manufacturer which of their local supposedly authorized resellers can possibly sell a version of their product is "asking for a lot of support", especially as they supposedly dedicate a specialized branch of their company just to provide such information (as they themselves claim)? You are being silly :D ..and I did not ask anybody to recommend me anything.

When I sent similar request to Krell when I was shopping for their components several months back, they called me right back, from the US on an European cell answering all my questions pretty much automatically. When I approached Berkeley Audio Design re their dacs and usb units they answered my email after exactly 6 minutes. LMAO, even 'local' amazon.de writes back almost instantly and I can imagine they do have thousands of customers bugging them at any given moment.

Quality of service is care and flexibility, not making the customer feel like a company is making them big favors generously selling their products to them.

ME=$300 USD. Krell=$$$$($?); figure the margins.

Apr 21, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #762 of 1,072
I sent my request to Mr. Lennox on March 24th. Still waiting in the "queue".

On April 6 I got this: "We are delivering units starting last week as inventory allows. Just keep enjoying your current unit until we get to you. Ron."

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #765 of 1,072
Quote:
Hi, I would like to know your opinion on this article: http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
It's very long and detailed, the TL;DR is something like: higher resolution than CD doesn't make sense and "Its playback fidelity is slightly inferior to 16/44.1 or 16/48, and it takes up 6 times the space."

I'm not sure the guy understands the difference between a 192kHz sampling rate, vs a 192kHz frequency response upper limit.  I think this is where the whole article gets into trouble, based on a cursory look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back