NEWS: Meridian Releases The Explorer Pocket-Sized USB DAC
Apr 8, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #738 of 1,072
Sorry to go a bit off topic but looping back to how I hear this from my Fitear TG334, I noticed there's a review of these out there with measurements using stock, a 33 ohm, and 100 ohm inline resistors:

http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/12/fit-ear-to-go-334.html

It's been mentioned in the 334 thread that a 100 ohm resistor is probably the best bet if you want to approach diffuse field flat response for these IEMs.  My take from studying up on this is this is no different than adding to the output impedance - so it's as I'm listening to the revised unit (5 ohm output impedance) with a 42 ohm resistor in the cable?

I've gone back and forth w/ the Microstreamer and Explorer over the past few weeks, my overall impression is that the Explorer seems more precise/detailed/taut but lacks some body and musicality.  For all day usage, I prefer the Microstreamer, but there are things I definitely enjoy the Explorer more.  I also find I prefer the 000 cable (a thicker, SPC cable) w/ the Explorer but opt for the 001 cable for the Microstreamer, perhaps w/ the idea the latter has a bit more resistance in it?

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #739 of 1,072
So is everyone who has requested a replacement now being required to First ship the unit back, then receive a replacement at some unknown time frame? I just got a ups rma return slip after waiting for over two weeks

This is frustrating, my original email contact/confirmation was that I would not be without a unit. Ie.. the new one would come, and then I ship the replacement back

Why the change?

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #740 of 1,072
Quote:

Me neither - that's a folder containing a complete web page (from Head-Fi).

Please try updating that link with the actual PDF, Painterspal.

Thanks!

Mike

Apologies, I couldn't figure it out so I've put a link to it on my website. - see above.
Quote:
So is everyone who has requested a replacement now being required to First ship the unit back, then receive a replacement at some unknown time frame? I just got a ups rma return slip after waiting for over two weeks

This is frustrating, my original email contact/confirmation was that I would not be without a unit. Ie.. the new one would come, and then I ship the replacement back

Why the change?

That's certainly my impression, at least here in the UK. It's a concern for me too. I intend to check and confirm that stock is ready and available before I return it.

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #741 of 1,072
Quote:
Painterspal,

The line you quoted from Merdian's exchange request form reads as if someone in their marketing department wrote it, first - with no understanding of the reason why people are requesting exchanges, and second - with a goal of suggesting there's nothing wrong with the original version, but rather with your desire to use it with "hard to drive" headphones.  

But, like you (if I owned a gen 1 Explorer), I wouldn't be willing to exchange it until I obtained a solid clarification of exactly what distinguishes the gen 2 version.  As you've mentioned, the exchange form shouldn't be referencing an Explorer that offers a higher output (power), but rather, an Explorer that has a lower output impedance.

I've been following this thread fairly closely since the beginning, but at the moment, I cannot recall the original source of the alleged gen 2 specification of 5-Ohms vs. 47 Ohms for the headphone out.  Did Meridian publish this "in writing" somewhere?  If so, I hear you - why isn't that in their exchange request form?  

I hope they get things sorted out for everyone...

Mike

Yes, I agree, sounds like marketing speak to me too. Probably not a technical answer, at least I hope not!
Quote:
The origin of the 5-ohm impedance in this thread was me. That number was specifically stated by Meridian manager Ken Forsythe in an email response to me. I posted the number and shortly after Tyll posted the same.

I have no reason to doubt that the revised specification is correct, I'm just curious how it's been achieved and what has been tweaked to make it possible.

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #742 of 1,072
Huzzah!

Moments ago, I received a UPS tracking confirmation email from Meridian: my revised Explorer is scheduled to arrive one week from today.  I posted my 'old Explorer' (with the UPS return label) on 4/1 (exactly one week ago).. then emailed Ron the same day to let him know that I had sent it.  So in my case, the turnaround from Meridian has been very prompt.

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #744 of 1,072
Quote:
I received my revised Explorer today. I sent mine to Meridian on 23rd March, they received it on 2nd April. I am more content with this revised version.

yay!!!  Glad to hear you like the replacement.  I hope to get mine soon.  I still have the original so I'll compare the two.

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #746 of 1,072
Quote:
hi jkbkot, would you mind elaborating why you prefer the revised version over the initial release?

thanks!

Hi, with the original version I heard too little bass and too much highs and mids and all together it just didn't feel right. With the revised version, I can hear nicely balanced clean music which is, in my opinion, noticeably better than what comes out of the soundcard in my laptop. I don't have any high resolution files (only CD quality) and the best headphones I have are Shure SE315s so I can't tell you much more than this.

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #748 of 1,072
Quote:
Hi, with the original version I heard too little bass and too much highs and mids and all together it just didn't feel right. With the revised version, I can hear nicely balanced clean music which is, in my opinion, noticeably better than what comes out of the soundcard in my laptop. I don't have any high resolution files (only CD quality) and the best headphones I have are Shure SE315s so I can't tell you much more than this.

hi jkbkot, thanks for sharing your impressions!

Apr 14, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #749 of 1,072
Just checking in - got my UPS return label sent to me on Thurs, shipping mine out tomorrow.  

Anyone in the US gotten their's back yet - turnaround a couple weeks or so?

Apr 14, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #750 of 1,072
Originally Posted by bobeau /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just checking in - got my UPS return label sent to me on Thurs, shipping mine out tomorrow.  

Anyone in the US gotten their's back yet - turnaround a couple weeks or so?

I think there's been a couple of people who received their revised Explorer.. mine arrives tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back