NEWS: Meridian Releases The Explorer Pocket-Sized USB DAC
Apr 22, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #766 of 1,072
Quote:
I'm not sure the guy understands the difference between a 192kHz sampling rate, vs a 192kHz frequency response upper limit.  I think this is where the whole article gets into trouble, based on a cursory look.

The guy talks about expectation bias: his whole article is one good example of such bias. I don't like the authoritative tone he's using either 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #767 of 1,072
Hi Dude,

Where did you get that stand ? Cool !

Hello fellow Singaporean, that HP stand is actually Sieveking Sound Omega Headphone Stand. These are quite priced pretty expensive actually for the original ones but if you don't mind rip-off similarly made ones by China manufacturers, I believe you can find some on Taobao.com if you search around.

Cheers. :)

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #768 of 1,072
Any owners in US received any further communications from Meridian? Any replacement units received?
Still waiting.......

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #769 of 1,072
Quote:
Any owners in US received any further communications from Meridian? Any replacement units received?
Still waiting.......

I got my RMA label on March 11, shipped out to them on the 15th.  They received it last Friday and shipped the replacement on Monday, which will be arriving tomorrow.

There was a bit of pestering on my end, not sure if that helped move things along.  

Apr 25, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #770 of 1,072
Thank you bobeau, you are lucky.

I have contacted them twice with emails and a call back in the early March.
So my status:
1. No form or RMA or a call for further communications/instructions from Meridian.
2. No updates on what's going on from Meridian.
3. Already past my 30 days return policy from my dealer, a bit reluctant to go thru my dealer route again.......pestering......lol

Ok, who out there in the same boat as I am?..........we need to revolt.....hahaha bollocks me think ei

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #771 of 1,072
Quote:
Thank you bobeau, you are lucky.

I have contacted them twice with emails and a call back in the early March.
So my status:
1. No form or RMA or a call for further communications/instructions from Meridian.
2. No updates on what's going on from Meridian.
3. Already past my 30 days return policy from my dealer, a bit reluctant to go thru my dealer route again.......pestering......lol

Ok, who out there in the same boat as I am?..........we need to revolt.....hahaha bollocks me think ei

Shame on them. In this case I stay with my JDS Labs ODAC and O2 (as two separates).
JDS Labs customer service is fantastic.

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #772 of 1,072
The meridian explorer on the line out mode itself, to me is the dog's bollocks, they hold their name in this $300 DAC category.
It brings up Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Little Wing" to the next level of excitement.

The customer service is the bollocks part and the headphone out mode too....lol.
Meridian's customer service is having a "Fredie Krueger" at the moment. Lol.

I might not get the replacement, I guess,.... from the earlier pestering to Meridian reps, early in March.lol.

Cheers

Apr 27, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #774 of 1,072
I took delivery of the revised version on Thursday and had a chat with my dealer regarding the Great Explorer Controversy. This version sounds very good driving the few HPs I have around (W3000ANV, Grado RS1, SE530). No obvious problems with low or high frequencies, nice tonality, great resolution. A definite step up from the DF as a DAC/HP for me, and a more pleasing listen than my old DAC1, if not as powerful. Used as a DAC into my speaker rig it's no slouch either. Will try it as USB/SPDIF converter later this weekend. My experience through my dealer was pretty transparent -- took the old one, called me a few weeks later for the revised version.

best,

o

Apr 27, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #775 of 1,072
Took delivery of mine yesterday, have maybe 4 hours or so on it now.  Performance-wise w/ my TG 334s, it's quite close to the Microstreamer now, perhaps has a slight edge in detail and tautness to the sound (granted though that could still be due to the higher impedance, which appears to have that effect on the TG 334).  It will probably take me a couple weeks to determine which one I prefer, but to my ears both are clear step ups from the Dragonfly.

To those having trouble getting feedback from Meridian - only thing I can say is be persistent, include you prior attempts in your messages.  Contact your dealer to see if they can help out.  

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #776 of 1,072
Hello everyone, 

I am considering to buy the Meridian Explorer DAC, however can someone let me know how to identify if the retailer is selling the revised version or the original?

I am in HK, I dont think Meridian has an official showroom, just resellers...so old stock may be still floating around and I dont want to jump through hoops to get a replacement if I get caught out..

Cheers,
Tom 

Apr 28, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #777 of 1,072
Tom,
According to some unofficial sources (like resellers) I found out, units with serial numbers at MA030W and prior are the old versions. Anything after that is the revised version. Hope this is going to help somewhat.

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #780 of 1,072
Quote:
Thanks GoSUV, but does that mean only 30 units were affected? I.e, MA001W - MA030W?

I seriously don't know, but I would guess more than 30 units were sold from the initial batch. I don't have one to verify any serial numbers, as I am only interested in one but heard about the output impedance issue so put my purchase on hold. I'll probably visit a retailer next week to buy one eventually, and will plan to verify the serial number by then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back