[NEWS / DISCUSSION / IMPRESSION] Phonak Audéo PFE232
Oct 31, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #797 of 1,082
Well, after my short but intense love/hate relationship with the Heir 4A.i I am back with the PFE232 and it feels great. The two are so different in their presentation. The Heir is a show-stopper now doubt but the Phonak just do music with a wonderfully natural, smooth and holographic presentation.
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #801 of 1,082
Just received PFE232s today to butt heads against my current portable king, the W4. I'm about to start messing with the filters and tips. Any tips? 
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #802 of 1,082
For starters leave the grey filters in. I have to admit they do blow the W4's away. If you like rock...check out Styx's Too Much Time On My Hands.

The beginning into is absolutely SICK with the 232's. The synthesizer goes from left to front to right and sounds amazing. Then try it with the W4's and you'll see the difference.

Steve

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #803 of 1,082
I'm probably still the only one that feels this way but I do think the W4s are at the same level as the PFE232...  They both had their ups and downs that essentially washed each other out IMO.

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #805 of 1,082
Quote:
I'm probably still the only one that feels this way but I do think the W4s are at the same level as the PFE232...  They both had their ups and downs that essentially washed each other out IMO.

What are their differences and which do you prefer for certain kinds of music? Lastly if you can only choose one what would it be? I ask because I don't have the opportunity to try both of them out :)

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #807 of 1,082
Quote:
What are their differences and which do you prefer for certain kinds of music? Lastly if you can only choose one what would it be? I ask because I don't have the opportunity to try both of them out :)

The differences would mainly be the signature.  They both have a nice bass focus, but the Phonak has larger bass quantity, but also has the quantity of the treble to match it.  With that said, the PFE232 is a v-shaped IEM while the W4 aims to be better balanced across the spectrum.  The PFE will beat the W4 in about every genre but classical, instrumental, and acoustic (there may be others).  My personal preference would be the 232 over the W4.

Nov 13, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #808 of 1,082
Quote:
For starters leave the grey filters in. I have to admit they do blow the W4's away. If you like rock...check out Styx's Too Much Time On My Hands.

The beginning into is absolutely SICK with the 232's. The synthesizer goes from left to front to right and sounds amazing. Then try it with the W4's and you'll see the difference.

Steve

Blow them out of the water? I don't know about that. Sounds like sensationalism to me 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Really interested in hearing your opinions here!

I haven't had much time with them yet, but so far, here are my impressions: The sound is very good! Haha.

They definitely do not isolate sound from the outside environment as well as Westone 4. Also, I find the ergonomics of the W4 cable to be much much better than the PFE232. The cable isn't bad, but I definitely miss the W4 cable when I'm listening to the PFE232. Comfort is still to be seen (W4 is very comfortable), but so far they don't bother my medium size ears at all. There were a few times the highs with electronic music bordered sibilant, but I was in no way wanting to take these off after a good 30 minutes. This I feel is one of the primary strengths of the W4 that will make or break my time with the PFE232: Will I be able to keep these in my ears for extended periods of time without becoming fatigued? I didn't have time to switch back to the W4, so these impressions are minor, but still relevant, IMO.

All of this is with grey filters.

Nov 13, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #809 of 1,082
Quote:

I am also interested in the comparisons between the W4's and 232's.  The W4's are $100 less expensive, but with the addition of the $55 phone/mic/controller cable for the W4's which comes standard with the 232's, the W4's are only slightly less expensive than the 232's.
So keep the comparisons coming - and thank you!

Nov 18, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #810 of 1,082
Is the patented Head-Fi hype train gone for these IEMs or are people just too busy listening to them to post on here?

I guess the price isn't all that friendly, but man, these are great! I haven't even wanted to compare them to my Westone 4s yet, lol. I think once school breaks next week for Thanksgiving, I'll have time to compare them.. but right now I am just fine with listening to the PFE232s over my W4.

Back to listening. Cheers!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back