[NEWS / DISCUSSION / IMPRESSION] Phonak Audéo PFE232
Nov 26, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #826 of 1,082
Quote:

I'm getting a good seal. It's just time to try different tips. I'll be trying a few double/tri-flanges. Foam is a good idea too. Do olives work with these? Or is Comply my only option for foam? I don't really know enough about frequencies to be able to say where the treble is bothering me. Would I use a frequency sweep to identify that?

Sweep may or may not...  I would try playing with tips first...  I know Comply makes a model.  I'm unsure if Shure tips will fit... 

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #829 of 1,082
Quote:

I'm getting a good seal. It's just time to try different tips. I'll be trying a few double/tri-flanges. Foam is a good idea too. Do olives work with these? Or is Comply my only option for foam? I don't really know enough about frequencies to be able to say where the treble is bothering me. Would I use a frequency sweep to identify that?

I can tell you from experience that a good seal isn't always a perfect seal.

PS: strangely I found the PFE232 with grey filter very slightly dark, but I am one of the few that think the Heir 4A.i was just too bright...go figure 
confused.gif

Nov 27, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #830 of 1,082
If anyone in the UK is looking to sell theirs please send me a PM.

Nov 27, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #831 of 1,082
All tips fit Phonak (triple flange may need a tilt and slip technique) except for small rigid tips such as yellow foamies, which just will not open for the wider circumference of the PFE232

imo Triple Flange > Comply > Olives but of course pays to demo for yourself. Most tips come with the fit kit included, only the comply and olives would be external purchases *I think*
If you are budget conscious then check out StoreOne black triple flange on Amazon UK. Essentially the same, black colour is better but material not *quite* as waxy comfortable as original ver

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #832 of 1,082
The 232 will not fit many tips.  I have a huge collection from my SE530 days, but they are too tight on the 232s to risk.  I buy all my replacement foamies from the manufacturer.  I will not risk breaking off the tube. Also, the tips are short in length, which improves sound in my years of experimenting with SE530s. 

I always use foam.  Olives and flanges produced too much treble emphasis and damaged naturalness as well.  May vary depending on ear anatomy.  But at least try it. 

Nov 28, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #833 of 1,082
So, I received my PFE232s earlier today and am still fiddling with them. All I have to say right now is that they sound nothing like my Etymotic ER-4Ps. They're going to take some getting used to. I suspect the sound signature will grow on me.

They do a lot of things better than the Ety's, but I'm not certain yet they're differences I like. :)

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #834 of 1,082
Quote:
So, I received my PFE232s earlier today and am still fiddling with them. All I have to say right now is that they sound nothing like my Etymotic ER-4Ps. They're going to take some getting used to. I suspect the sound signature will grow on me.

They do a lot of things better than the Ety's, but I'm not certain yet they're differences I like. :)

You are absolutely 100% positively correct, these will sound nothing like an Etymotic.  If any review made you think that, I feel bad for you (it would have been misleading).  And yes, they will take a little time to get used to.  The signature may or may not grow on you depending on your preference.  Do break them in for a little while and use them (IDK what burns in specifically: tips, drivers, brain...  It could be a bunch of things).  They do change though.

Differences are quite large moving for a neutral sound to a v-shaped one.  You'll know in no time whether you like them or not. 

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #835 of 1,082
Quote:

You are absolutely 100% positively correct, these will sound nothing like an Etymotic.  If any review made you think that, I feel bad for you (it would have been misleading).  And yes, they will take a little time to get used to.  The signature may or may not grow on you depending on your preference.  Do break them in for a little while and use them (IDK what burns in specifically: tips, drivers, brain...  It could be a bunch of things).  They do change though.

Differences are quite large moving for a neutral sound to a v-shaped one.  You'll know in no time whether you like them or not. 

I didn't state that very well. I knew that they weren't going to sound like the Etymotic, but I underestimated the depth of the v shape and amount of mid-bass that they'd produce (I think - I hardly have two hours on them). I was looking for something with punchier bass and slightly relaxed mids for EDM and rock, but it may be that these are TOO pronounced. I may have been better served by a UE900 or W4R, which I'm assuming would have been more neutral.

But it's too early to make that call. I know from experience in high-end two channel audio that just because something sounds different doesn't mean it's not equally awesome in its own way. It just sounds foreign to you and you can adjust.

On the upside, I'm able to EQ them to where they sound quite good. I just don't have that option  when I'm traveling with my iPhone.

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #836 of 1,082
I just got the PFE-232 and have been comparing them with my Westone W4R for the last few hours. First impression on differences is the highs are much more pronounced/energetic/sparkly on the 232 while the W4 sounds warmer, a bit darker with more mid bass..

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #837 of 1,082
Quote:
I didn't state that very well. I knew that they weren't going to sound like the Etymotic, but I underestimated the depth of the v shape and amount of mid-bass that they'd produce (I think - I hardly have two hours on them). I was looking for something with punchier bass and slightly relaxed mids for EDM and rock, but it may be that these are TOO pronounced. I may have been better served by a UE900 or W4R, which I'm assuming would have been more neutral.

But it's too early to make that call. I know from experience in high-end two channel audio that just because something sounds different doesn't mean it's not equally awesome in its own way. It just sounds foreign to you and you can adjust.

On the upside, I'm able to EQ them to where they sound quite good. I just don't have that option  when I'm traveling with my iPhone.

I'd go W4 over UE 900 for EDM and rock if it ever comes down to it.  But you are absolutely right, different sound != not good :p  And I like the foreign analogy, it fits perfectly with how I felt about the 232 :p 

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #839 of 1,082
Quote:
232 ergonomics no doubt well and truly trump the TF10 though I'm thinking!? 

The 232 ergonomics also trump the UE900s, at least in my ears. I went out and bought a pair at the Apple store just so I could make a comparison between my Ety ER-4P, the PFE232 and something else. They were available and they're quite good, actually. But as of right now, they're not so comfortable for me when I try to make a good seal. The PFE232s, by comparison, are almost like having nothing there at all.

I'll spend the day with the Phonaks and Ultimate Ears tomorrow and will figure out which I want to keep, if either, over the next week. I'm starting to think the "deficiencies" I felt in the boominess of the upper bass were, in fact, simply a lack of midrange presence. The bass appears to be really quite accurate, balanced and tight when I warm up the 232's with some EQ. But this is preliminary and I'm not yet convinced.

I do know I love the PFE232's treble, however. Just, wow.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #840 of 1,082
+1 regarding comfort...  The PFE is probably the most comfortable IEM I've worn to date :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back