[NEWS / DISCUSSION / IMPRESSION] Phonak Audéo PFE232
Jan 23, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #1,051 of 1,082

how does the 232s rank in comparo to your pletora of IEMs? i see u even have JH16s CIEM as well. the 232 + a pair sony xba3 are probably my top 2 IEMs so i dont have the range of experience as u.

btw does only the T100 complys fit the 232? what about S & Ts series?

That's going to take a while - what I look for in an IEM is competence - these are extremely competent - the output is of an extreme high quality. Then I look for signature - these are different than what I typically listen to, but not so off the mark that I cannot enjoy them and enjoy them for what they are. As I said, they are great all-around headphones. Also fit with universals is always hit or miss with me - mostly miss. But these fit like a glove and are tiny and light. It is almost like they aren't there. They are also fun to listen to music with.

Yeah, I guess I like them - lol.

As for Complys - I am not sure - I just know any Comply with a 100 in the title will fit - not sure of 400's or any other. 500's are too big I would surmise - I haven't tried anything other than the ones that came with them and my P100's - But since those fit - I figure I can tip roll with all my Westone\, Shure and Ety tips - so I am at the beginning of what I hope is a long relationship.

Jan 23, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #1,052 of 1,082
That's going to take a while - what I look for in an IEM is competence - these are extremely competent - the output is of an extreme high quality. Then I look for signature - these are different than what I typically listen to, but not so off the mark that I cannot enjoy them and enjoy them for what they are. As I said, they are great all-around headphones. Also fit with universals is always hit or miss with me - mostly miss. But these fit like a glove and are tiny and light. It is almost like they aren't there. They are also fun to listen to music with.

As for Complys - I am not sure - I just know any Comply with a 100 in the title will fit - not sure of 400's or any other. 500's are too big I would surmise - I haven't tried anything other than the ones that came with them and my P100's - But since those fit - I figure I can tip roll with all my Westone\, Shure and Ety tips - so I am at the beginning of what I hope is a long relationship.

Agree. The fit on these is not discussed enough. Simply marvelous. I need to find more time to spend with them, they should be coming up soon in the shootout I'm planning.

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #1,054 of 1,082

yes i would have to agree that the 232s are very competent indeed except for the slight tendency for treble hotness/sibilance, they sound very good. very detailed, more than decent soundstage (size & imaging) with good bass extension & quatity. 

to my ears, the bass does fall short in defination & texture but then im comparing them to my HD800 driven by a very good amp & a decent source as well. the 232s are only plugged in to a DAP sans external amp. again, these 232s remind me of a well amped hd6x0 esp with the flatter mids. today i scored a darn good deal on a set of almost new HD600s so i can do a comparo in the very foreseeable future. 

and yes fit is also a hit & miss with as well. thats the reason i returned a set of IE80s as i coudnt find a fit that works for me. no matter how good an iem is, its next to useless if the fit & comfort arent there. and these 232s fit awesome!!!

had some bonus points left over from the purchase of the 232s at earphone solutions so i ordered a 5pair set of shure black foamiesfor $5.99 shipped. read they fit phonaks & are also much more durable as well. i think my search for a porty on-the-go rig is over 
etysmile.gif

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #1,055 of 1,082
I wonder what perticular model of transducer phonak used in the single driver models and what transducer was used in the dual model. Sonion or knowels? I believe I recall tyll saying they used proprietary armatures, but I wonder if that meant phonak actually manufactured their own or just had them OEM'd.

Regardless, while I havent heard the 232's(im dying to), I am a HUGE fan of my 132's. Such a beautiful tuning from phonak. I cant imagine how glorious the 232's must be. The reported V shape signature draws me in even more. I've never been one for mid centric phones really.... These 232's are my #1 spot on my "MUST HAVE!" List.

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #1,057 of 1,082
yup i do find the treble on the 232s can run a bit hot. on the + i find i can listen to the 232s with substantially less volume than with other iems.

Jan 26, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #1,059 of 1,082
yup i do find the treble on the 232s can run a bit hot. on the + i find i can listen to the 232s with substantially less volume than with other iems.

After switching the stock silicone tips with the Comply T130 on my PFE022 (grey filters) and PFE232 (grey filters), I'm able to tame the treble peaks on these without losing the treble details and I actually love the sound signature more than ever. Indeed these are the few best IEMs that I've ever owned. If only Phonak is still around, I'll be expecting more fantastic IEMs from them.

Jan 26, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #1,061 of 1,082

FWIW, I liked the 132 better than the 232, which was a bit piercing sounding to me.

Tyll - is the driver in the 132 the same as the 022 - just the 022 has the green filter installed? I have a pair of the 022 here and was going to get used to the 232 before messing about with its little brother. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #1,062 of 1,082
I finally recieved mine, and after 20 minutes of listening I enjoy the sound as much as I thought i would. I can`t say too much without listening more but its excactly the sound I was looking for, tight and deep bass, amazing highs and I kinda like the mids, they don`t seem recessed to me, everything seems just right. Glad I bought them, I`m simply blown away by the sound they provide.

Greets,
Michael

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #1,063 of 1,082
I wonder what perticular model of transducer phonak used in the single driver models and what transducer was used in the dual model. Sonion or knowels? I believe I recall tyll saying they used proprietary armatures, but I wonder if that meant phonak actually manufactured their own or just had them OEM'd.

Regardless, while I havent heard the 232's(im dying to), I am a HUGE fan of my 132's. Such a beautiful tuning from phonak. I cant imagine how glorious the 232's must be. The reported V shape signature draws me in even more. I've never been one for mid centric phones really.... These 232's are my #1 spot on my "MUST HAVE!" List.

Looks like the beautiful sound ive come to know and love from my 132's comes from none other than sonion. Perhaps the two armature next to it is that of the 232???

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #1,064 of 1,082
  I finally recieved mine, and after 20 minutes of listening I enjoy the sound as much as I thought i would. I can`t say too much without listening more but its excactly the sound I was looking for, tight and deep bass, amazing highs and I kinda like the mids, they don`t seem recessed to me, everything seems just right. Glad I bought them, I`m simply blown away by the sound they provide.

Greets,
Michael

Did yours come packaged with scotch tape covering the drivers/filters. Mine came and it was sealed ect., same packaging but the earbuds are taped to the back of the cardboard insert. Never seen scotch tape used in any sort of factory packaging let alone $400+ earphones. I'm guessing maybe they had to make a quick fix at the factory because the buds kept falling down into the packaging? But I'm still kind of wondering if I got used earphones from the 3rd party. 

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #1,065 of 1,082
Anyone else rocking the 232 sans filters?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back