[NEWS / DISCUSSION / IMPRESSION] Phonak Audéo PFE232
Dec 15, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #377 of 1,082

Quote:
Yeah but it would create more muffled sound, but that's not it

Not always...  It depends on how clogged they are...  By what you've said (my filters look clean), they are most likely still a little dirty (microscopic dirt particles, etc.) which can still change sound if there is enough build up (you don't have to be able to visually see the build up for it to be there).  This will happen to all filters over time; its normal and natural.  A little clogging wouldn't necessarily create a muffled sound.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm arguing with you, I'm trying not to, instead I'm trying to explain the difference in sound.  If you have any ideas, shoot them out :)

Dec 15, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #378 of 1,082
Three weeks ago I asked the Audeoworld rep about the availability of the new type of filters. She said that they would eventually replace the old ones but as Phonak has lots of old style filters in stock the new ones are going to be available only about by the end of January.

Edit: I don't hear any difference between the new and the old style gray filters. Didn't compare new vs. old of the black and green filters.

Dec 15, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #379 of 1,082

Quote:
Not always...  It depends on how clogged they are...  By what you've said (my filters look clean), they are most likely still a little dirty (microscopic dirt particles, etc.) which can still change sound if there is enough build up (you don't have to be able to visually see the build up for it to be there).  This will happen to all filters over time; its normal and natural.  A little clogging wouldn't necessarily create a muffled sound.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm arguing with you, I'm trying not to, instead I'm trying to explain the difference in sound.  If you have any ideas, shoot them out :)

Hmmm... I'll put new grey filters on my Audeo and will see.

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #381 of 1,082

Quote:
Maybe I should elaborate a bit more on that. I find the 232's treble to be the best I heard so far because it is the most realistic, next to being the most precise one, and it's pretty much non-fatiguing to my ears, despite me usually being a fan of toned down treble (SM3, HD650, TMA-1, IE8, etc). With the 232 triangles sound like triangles, not sine waves with added white noise; high piano notes sound like piano, not harpsichord; cymbals sound like cymbals, not like some kid banging on their mother's baking trays. Maybe some people have forgotten what live music sounds like, but the 232's treble is pretty close to the real deal. It's maybe a bit bright and it took me some time getting used to this - for me - unaccustomed signature, but yeah, now the 232 spoiled pretty much all other IEMs for me... :p

Totally agree with your thoughts on the treble of the 232s. The thing that clinched it for me is the ability of the 232s to faithfully recreate the sound of a closed hi-hat. As a drummer, I often listen out for this detail when I listen to music and the 232s capture it brilliantly, better than any IEM I own.

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #382 of 1,082
As an owner and a fan of the 112, (i recently owned and more quickly dispatched a set of SM 3 V2 back to sender...sorry guys I guess i don't want to sit that close to the stage); of current reviews, as short as reviews may be..do the 232 offer the same versatility with ALL genres of music? One of my long term..aka 13 month..attributes of the the 112 is it's "seamless"  transition to please in ANY genre of music.  I own the ER4P...112 yields close treble extension with more visceral low midrange and more bass impact..I also own Stax SR-001 Mk2...after the Ety and 112, the treble roll off is just too much. $600 for a universal...Im gonna need a nudge...

Dec 16, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #384 of 1,082

Quote:
As an owner and a fan of the 112, (i recently owned and more quickly dispatched a set of SM 3 V2 back to sender...sorry guys I guess i don't want to sit that close to the stage); of current reviews, as short as reviews may be..do the 232 offer the same versatility with ALL genres of music? One of my long term..aka 13 month..attributes of the the 112 is it's "seamless"  transition to please in ANY genre of music.  I own the ER4P...112 yields close treble extension with more visceral low midrange and more bass impact..I also own Stax SR-001 Mk2...after the Ety and 112, the treble roll off is just too much. $600 for a universal...Im gonna need a nudge...

I find new Audeo enjoyable mainly with rock, metal and electronic stuff. They also do for pop and rap. For my preferences they are too heavy for jazz.

But basically 232 will handle every type of music well.

Dec 16, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #385 of 1,082
Surprise surprise! Count me in. 
biggrin.gif
 Just received them minutes ago. Ordered from none other than earphonesolutions. These are my first ever Phonak in-ears. First impressions (I've only heard the grey filters as of yet), extremely crisp and detailed, while the treble has this quality I can't describe just yet. It's borderline sibilant, but even then, sounds extremely natural. and not the least bit fatiguing. For comparison sake, I intend to write up a comparison between these, my GR10, and my W4. Hopefully that'll provide some insight for those on the fence. It'll be some time before I'm able to get around to it however. Bear with me, fellas. 
smile.gif

Dec 16, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #386 of 1,082

Quote:

This is one huge point I do want to make...  The 232s really do play any genre well.  They have just about the perfect balance of lows, mids, and highs that allows them to work with any genre.  Although, they aren't the best everywhere, I do find that the vocals can use a little more energy (not saying they don't have energy, they could use a tiny bit more energy), everything else seems to be moderated very well to create a wonderful balance of highs, lows, and mids.

Dec 16, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #387 of 1,082
Is it just me, or has anyone else tried them without the filters? If you haven't already, it's not what you think. I was expecting for them to sound harsh, and too aggressive. Instead, they sound neither harsh, nor aggressive. So to fellow 232 owners, I'd like to hear your thoughts pertaining to the sound without filters.

Dec 16, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #389 of 1,082
Quote:
With electronic stuff I like to kick the ZO up a notch (I only use the grey filters), but otherwise they play everything perfectly fine for my taste, no matter what genre.

You weren't kidding, my friend. The PFE232 (grey) has pretty good synergy with the Zo. Not the best synergy I've heard, but it's not as if the Zo is necessary in the first place. The low end is typical of high end BA's, tight and punchy, and is ample enough for my taste. Make no mistake, however, They're definitely nowhere near the bass heavy dynamics, such as the FX700 or MG7. 
smile.gif

Dec 16, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #390 of 1,082

To my surprise, didn't find PFE232 super bright or anything. I was expecting something similar to CK10/CK100... not to mention it's extremely comfortable. Seems that a lot of people are talking about how it lacks bass but it's more than enough for me. One of the best universal I've heard so far.

The clarity, I wouldn't go as far as unmatched or anything but it's extremely clear. I think PFE232 is excellent IEM because rather than shining in one particular area, it's more of a package, harmony, looking at the picture as a whole. After fooling around a bit, I think stock silicon tips suits 232 the best. It's a shame that I can't use my Sony Hybrid tips :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back