NEWS: Beats in a lawsuit with Yamaha
Feb 14, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #17 of 493
I can understand where the lawsuit is coming from and frankly, the styling IS a rip-off.
but Copyrighting shapes is silly, all large over-ear headphones are going to have the same generic shape, 2 cans and a headband. yes beats are selling the look but trying to sue is almost as daft as say... apple trying to patent a rectangle with rounded corners.

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #18 of 493
Quote:
I find those look like soul by ludacris more.

My son has an SL300 and there are significant differences- light up logos, quilted padding under the headband, different color schemes and cord colors as well as other design differences.  I think the difference between Yamaha and "rapper cans" like Soul, Street and others is that the rapper cans made an effort to present some differentiation from Beats.

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #19 of 493
I think looking like Beats might have some negative side-effects too. 
For instance, with so many cheap knock-offs lying about, would the target audience (teenagers) not avoid wearing these very obvious copies because they might otherwise be called out for having "fake" Beats? 

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #20 of 493
Quote:
trying to sue is almost as daft as say... apple trying to patent a rectangle with rounded corners.

Since they stole that from Dieter Rams's work for Braun. :)

This is a bit more distinct than "two cans and a headband" though. Moving beyond functional design requirements and into deliberate aesthetic styling. 

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #21 of 493
Quote:
I think Yamaha took the design similarity to another level as evidenced by their own ad referenced in post #6 that practically taunts Beats.

Maybe it's intentional... plan for the eventual lawsuit, ride the media exposure, drop the bomb that says "haha we're totally legit", walk away with money.

What? It could happen.

/cynic

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #22 of 493
It's same case as iPhone vs galaxy, at the end beats will win the law suit

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #23 of 493
It's sad that a respectable company like Yamaha is trying to tap into the mainstream demographic that Beats are targeting. 

On a side note, I do think the Yammy's look much better than the Beats Solo. =D

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #24 of 493
Quote:

Maybe it's intentional... plan for the eventual lawsuit, ride the media exposure, drop the bomb that says "haha we're totally legit", walk away with money.

What? It could happen.

/cynic

I agree...Controversy creates success in a lot of cases...

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #25 of 493
fanny wang, soul by ludacris, that 50cent headphone from sms audio, yammy pro series, beats...

beats should sue this "company" too! =))

http://www.cdrking.com/?mod=products&type=view&sid=14742&main=34

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #26 of 493
Quote:
fanny wang, soul by ludacris, that 50cent headphone from sms audio, yammy pro series, beats...

beats should sue this "company" too! =))

http://www.cdrking.com/?mod=products&type=view&sid=14742&main=34

Maybe they're actually scared that, Yamaha being a reputable audio company and all, actually has the sound to back up the looks.
Or i'm just over-thinking it, that they're suing them just because they're reputable, and they'll make a profit out of it.

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #27 of 493
To be honest, before the whole Beats thing... I had no idea who Dre was.

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #30 of 493
Quote:

What? It could happen.

/cynic

Quote:
I agree...Controversy creates success in a lot of cases...

You may be right and this may all be part of their marketing plan if they are chess players looking several moves ahead.  The Yamaha thread here, while receiving positive praise from several seasoned Head-fiers for their sound, has only experienced a fraction of the activity from comparable new releases from Sony, V-Moda, Sennheiser and AKG.  This controversy puts Yamaha out there in the same breath as Beats to the masses, especially if the story is picked up by national media.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back