"Newcomer" needs help buying his first headphones
Nov 30, 2010 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

AKnash

New Head-Fier
Hello there!

I'm pretty new to all this headphones talk and quite frankly, it's confusing me.
I was looking for a pair of headphones to use on my computer (Mostly listening to music or talking on skype, not that much gaming) and my MP3 player, which is a Samsung YP-P3.
After looking around for a little while I found 4 pairs of headphones that would be in my price segment and seem rather interesting:

Sennheiser HD 598

AKG K-271 MK II

AKG  K 272 HD 

Now, my question is: Would I need an AMP to really use any of those on my computer/MP3 Player? If so, what kind of 'cheap' amp can you guys recommend?
Also, what's the difference between a Sennheiser HD 598 and a HD 595?

I'd appreciate a fast answer, but thanks already!

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #2 of 8
Don't know these...but try searching "HD 598 vs. HD 595" or variants.  

Then it all begins.

"Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet!"

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #3 of 8
Those 3 can be driven without amp, you should have enough volume

AKG-Sennheiser, really depends on taste and music preference

598 is a pretty recent model, but there are a couple of topics about it already here

As amp, FiiO gives you nice products for your money (E5/E7/E9)

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #4 of 8
Well it looks like I'm getting the Sennheiser HD 598, then.
If they can be driven without an amp, the volume might just be loud enough for me to use them without an amp on my MP3 player, right?
Guess I'd try it without one first?

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #5 of 8
Two of the headphones you listed are "closed" and one is "open". Do you prefer your headphones to block outside noise and keep the music/sound to yourself, or would you prefer being able to hear the outside normally and have others able to hear what you're listening to? Closed = isolation and generally more bass. Open = doesn't block noise in either direction which gives it a more, uh, "open" sound.

Also depends on the music. Most of headphones do better or worse with certain genres depending on their design and which range of sound they produce best.

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #6 of 8
Well, generally I don't care that much if they're open or closed. Since I usually talk to other people when outside, I guess open would be fine.

My taste in music is generally really really widespread but if I should pin it down I'd say it's a mix of "post-rock", generally more acoustic/instrumental stuff. Some Hip Hop from time to time.

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #7 of 8
AKG tends to be more neutral, Sennheiser (with most models) more coloured, more bass.
With acoustic/instrumental, I'll definetely say AKG, but again, it's preference.

A possibility to hear them before buying really gives you perspective on those things I guess.

Good luck with your hunting!

Nov 30, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #8 of 8
The Search function is your friend. I'd have a look at a few threads on each of the phones you mention, to read first-hand opinions on matching amps to phones and so on.

The K271 is a well-regarded professional studio headphone, where the pro user wants to hear a straightforward source sound. It may require a good amp to push it to optimal performance. Audiophiles on the other hand differ in their preferences, so headphone manufacturers often find ways to make the source sound more appealing to different customer groups, such as boosting the bass.

The most reliable way to identify your most appropriate phone is to listen to that phone using music of your preference. Watch the Local Meets forum here at head-fi for meeting announcements in your region. Organize one yourself if there is none -- and you may be surprised at how many headphone aficionados turn up, and at the broad array of gear. If there's a Guitar Center in your city, they tend to have a substantial selection of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back