newbie with the K702's -will they really get better or just louder with another amp?
Sep 15, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #16 of 29

Indeed, I agree that with audio it is very hard for consumers to make good decisions. I myself was pretty overwhelmed at first, and all I wanted was a decent set of headphones!

You both bring up good points about people selecting what they want to hear. I guess at the end of the day it's about as easy to tell someone how to hear music as it is to tell someone how to see a painting.

Though, I will say that after nearly two weeks with the 702's I am able to hear a few  things I never heard before in mixes of songs I'm very well familiar with. And I'm trying to figure out if it's because I'm now consciously looking for something new to hear or if it's due to the equipment, or a little of both. But some people should sometimes stop over-analyzing and remember to actually ENJOY the music for all its beauty. That's my 2 pennies. 

I also think that part of the allure of dropping cash (at least to me) are the gadgets themselves. I love looking at new tech..I've never listened to a tube amp, still learning how they work, but man do some of them just look sci-fi sexy, lol. Aside from my research and reviews on the K70x, the final selling point for me was simply their look. Personally I love the way they look...I also love the way the Grados look, but I don't own a pair. Yet.

I think the Canamp is almost a done deal. If / When I acquire it I will write some of my impressions to the best of my ability.

Sep 16, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #18 of 29

Quote:
I'd love to hear the canamp at the meet if you do decide to pull the trigger on it.

For sure!

That way I won't feel quite as intimidated because I'll actually have some decent equipment to bring with me, lol

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #19 of 29
Another amp that has a big reputation with the K701/702 is the Matrix M-Stage (Lehmann Black Cube Linear clone)

I am waiting for mine to be delivered....

there is an extensive thread on this amp, covering sound, modding etc...

Sep 16, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #20 of 29
Hey, I pair my K701 with Linearossa K3, and I think it's sound wonderful, some people said that k701 is sibilance, but when I paired with this amp, I hardly to notice any sibilant, while it's still offering plenty detail sure.

my friend who has K702 like to pair his AKG with M-Stage, then he upgrade to Graham Slee Solo II and he said that the synergy is nice.

I also have tried pair K701 with Solo II, and yeah, it sounds awesome 
smile.gif

So for more limited budget, you can check Matrix M-Stage and Linearossa K3, for higher class, GS Solo II is a good option.

Sep 23, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #21 of 29
I decided to go for the Canamp...

this is from the email I sent itsbroken (seller and very nice guy) of my first initial impressions:

Well, I got the Canamp today and got it all hooked up. All I can say is WOW. I've only spent about an hour with it but I am very pleased and I will most certainly be hanging on to it!

I really didn't think 200 dollars was going to make that big of a difference between these two amps (the Fiio and Canamp) but that was very foolish of me. I immediately could hear a difference. The instruments sounded even more separate and defined. Everything sounded warmer and just richer and also the sounds seemed to swirl around my head, not just between my ears if that makes any sense.

I listened to 4 different genres and they all sound fantastic! Rock sounds very nice as well as electronic. One favorite IDM/ambient band is Boards of Canada and they have never sounded this beautiful to me before. Honestly I haven't been this impressed over audio since I was a kid and my dad hooked up our first 5.1 surround system.

I can also "feel" the strums on guitars with rock music, like the guitarist is sitting next to or behind me. Synthesizers in electronic music actually sound different than what I was hearing before..I also attribute that to the AKG k702 detailing. These cans really do sound pretty amazing with this amp. This newbie happily considers himself officially blown away.

-I will post more as I listen to more. I am really enjoying this thing and it was well worth the investment!

Sep 23, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #22 of 29
Here's my 2 cents worth:

Amps not only deliver higher volume from low-sensitivity cans; they also provide clarity at lower volumes. I'm sure that a better amp (ever consider building a CMOY?) will make those cans come alive. At least, it did in the case of my Sennheiser HD280 pros (which lacked bass when driven directly from my iPod). Just make sure you try before you buy.

If you're a DIY kind of person, check out the CMOY and Starving Student amps (whichever one best fits your needs). From what I've heard, they can outperform amps that cost 10 times more (and you can build each of them for under $40 if you know where to find the parts).

Sep 24, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #23 of 29
And don't forget opamp rolling options.....

The M-Stage supplier provided me with a Class-A mod socket, and a pair of OPA627's as part of my purchase...

This apparently takes the amp to another level - and this is a type of mod that can very easily be retro fitted to most amps with socketed Opamps

Sep 24, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #24 of 29
well, i have own the k702 for a very long time, thus i have been through the path of searching for ways to improve k702 because i like its sounding. an average amp like DV 3322 or 337 SE will make k702 sound nice, personally i dont like the canamp. if you have the skills, time, go for the diy b22 balanced. i have done that and never regretted. k702 just sound amazing from b22.

lastly, source is also very important. if you are getting the music from your laptop, i would recommend getting a good dac like the buffalo32 from twistedpear or da11 from larvy. in fact, with these setup, i am finding that my k702 becomes the bottleneck of the chain and now i am in the search for a better headphone.

Sep 24, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #25 of 29

Quote:
And don't forget opamp rolling options.....

The M-Stage supplier provided me with a Class-A mod socket, and a pair of OPA627's as part of my purchase...

This apparently takes the amp to another level - and this is a type of mod that can very easily be retro fitted to most amps with socketed Opamps

I'm pretty sure op amp tweaks are minor in their changes at best... nonetheless it is a nice option to be able to play around with.

Your results may differ, but from op amp rolling my sound card, it is too hard to get an accurate feel for how different they might be... maybe with the amp it will be easier to make a quick comparison -it's a PITA with a soundcard and takes a long time between listening sessions. I still have my military grade op amps in my card though :p

I wouldn't view this as a final factor in someones purchase, but it is a nice added benefit.

Sep 24, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #26 of 29
From my experience having a good dac and headphone amp does improve the sound of the AKG 702. The difference is quite noticeable, even to my untrained ear. A good dac or source plays a very important role in how good the AKG 702 could sound. In my opinion it is more important than the amp. Well at least in my case I notice more improvement with the DacMagic than when I first got the Matrix M-Stage headphone amp.

Sep 24, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #27 of 29

Quote:
in fact, with these setup, i am finding that my k702 becomes the bottleneck of the chain and now i am in the search for a better headphone.

Welcome to the K1000/electrostatics world.  K1000 seems like a no-brainer since you have a balanced b22.  They are not anywhere near as comfortable as the K701/702s though; such is the cost of chasing optimal sound.

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #28 of 29

Quote:
Welcome to the K1000/electrostatics world.  K1000 seems like a no-brainer since you have a balanced b22.  They are not anywhere near as comfortable as the K701/702s though; such is the cost of chasing optimal sound.

how i wish i can afford k1000, thats my dream cans but its far from my reach still..... =(

Sep 26, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #29 of 29
They'll get louder AND richer-sounding. Mine sound rather thin when connected to my laptop, my ipod touch, or to the headphone output on my AV receiver. But connected to my amp (Headroom Micro), they are much fuller-sounding at any volume level, (and of course they can play loud enough to damage your hearing if you are self-destructive).

Quote:
they'll just get louder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back