newbie review of the senn hd800
Sep 27, 2009 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

usinare

New Head-Fier
i consider myself an audiophile but new to the high end headphone world. i read a review of the 3 high end phones in the home entertainment magazine. the reviewer did say these headphones sound better than $30k audio systems. i got curious, so i took my 80gb ipod and headed straight to J&R in new york. i auditioned the denon ahd7000 and senn hd800. i immediately bought the denon because the sound impressed me instantly. i realized my ipod was not driving the denon loud enough so i got the headroom portable micro amp. this also brought instant satisfaction. after a few days i realized i could not listen to the denon for very long periods, because i found the bass and treble a bit strong. i wish it was toned down a bit. so i returned the denon and exchanged it for the senn hd800.

this senn hd800 is amazing. the soundstage is wide, you hear every nuance of the instruments. the midrange and treble is excellent. the bass is a bit weak, but overall the sound is excellent. this headphone provides smooth natural sound. it is not over-bearing so you can listen for long periods. it is extremely comfortable, sometimes i feel like i dont have anything on my ears. with the denon d7000 i felt most of the music in the center of my head. with the senn hd800, i felt the music was evenly distributed between the center of my head and my left and right ears. it is a wonderful experience. so still curious about my new hobby, i went to B&H and got the benchmark dac 1 usb headphone amp. this amp is very transparent, detailed with a laid back character. the details were a little better than the headroom portable micro amp. the difference was not night and day. just a little difference in instrument separation. but at twice the price of the headroom amp, budget-wise its not worth it.

i am not bashing the denon ahd7000. these headphones all sound different. they all have a specific characteristic about them. it is up to you to decide which one suits your music taste the best. for me it was the senn hd800

if money was no object, i will get both the denon d7000 and the senn hd800. the days i feel for reggae, r&b and smooth jazz, i use the denon d7000. for days that i am in the mood for straight or vocal jazz, classical new age i will pop in the senn hd800. i will also keep both the benchmark
dac for home listening and headroom portable for mobile music listening.

Sep 27, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #2 of 14
Nice review and welcome to headfi. I agree if you have the money that the d7000 and hd800 compliment each other really well. I havent had any fatigue from the d7000 since I switched over to the jmoney denon pads. It increases the distance between the ear and the driver giving a better soundstage and not so much of the overbearing sound. Overall, good review and I would agree with most of it.

Sep 27, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #3 of 14
Ya, welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet.---see signature for explanation.
redface.gif

Sep 27, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #4 of 14
My wallet told me yesterday:"you are not belong to the HD800 club." And my wife also said the same.
frown.gif

Sep 27, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #5 of 14
Uncle Erik I think it was made a good point that a lot of audio gear is designed to impress customers, but after a while of use, the impressive aspects, such as bright treble (reputedly the Benchmark, though I haven't listened with the latest version, and, of course, a lot of music recorded to sound very bright to make even mediocre gear sound good) to fake better detail, or a mid-bass boost (Denons!) are not really natural.

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by usinare /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i immediately bought the denon because the sound impressed me instantly. i realized my ipod was not driving the denon loud enough so i got the headroom portable micro amp....

so still curious about my new hobby, i went to B&H and got the benchmark dac 1 usb headphone amp.

OP, you don't mess around with baby steps, do you?
normal_smile .gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uncle Erik I think it was made a good point that a lot of audio gear is designed to impress customers, but after a while of use, the impressive aspects, such as bright treble (reputedly the Benchmark, though I haven't listened with the latest version, and, of course, a lot of music recorded to sound very bright to make even mediocre gear sound good) to fake better detail, or a mid-bass boost (Denons!) are not really natural.

Very interesting point which I've never heard before. I am certainly finding it to be true with the DAC1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudhole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My wallet told me yesterday:"you are not belong to the HD800 club." And my wife also said the same.
frown.gif

My wallet and wife are keeping me out of that club too!

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
frown.gif

It's tempted but being shallow, I could not stand the all plastic Martian looking of the HD 800. Maybe they change the "look" with the next HD 900 (?). Meanwhile, I am collecting some Audio Technica woodies.

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #8 of 14
Was it really necessary to resurrect this thread for that comment?

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
Nice review and welcome to headfi. I agree if you have the money that the d7000 and hd800 compliment each other really well. I havent had any fatigue from the d7000 since I switched over to the jmoney denon pads. It increases the distance between the ear and the driver giving a better soundstage and not so much of the overbearing sound. Overall, good review and I would agree with most of it.

D7000/HD800 is indeed a wonderful combo, along with T1/D7000.

Jun 15, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #11 of 14
No problem, just giving you a hard time.

Quote:
D7000/HD800 is indeed a wonderful combo, along with T1/D7000.

I wasnt a big fan of the T1. K!000/d7000 combo would be alright.

Jun 15, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
No problem, just giving you a hard time.

I wasnt a big fan of the T1. K!000/d7000 combo would be alright.

I know since you are just : " an average nice guy" on your profile.

All kidding aside, I have 2 questions, please.

1. What's " contributor" ? 
2. Do you think the HD 800 are kind of odd looking for over 1K cans ? Keep in mind that I am a shallow person.

Jun 15, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #13 of 14
Contributor was a person that donated money to headfi before it went to the new hudler platform. Apparently its now permanent.

With the looks of the hd800,  at least you feel like you are getting something different from the rest of there line. Unlike the T1 or d7000, which if you didnt know any better, you wouldnt place it as anymore valuable than anything else in there line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back