Newbie review: Klipsch Custom 3
Aug 13, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #16 of 25
They are compatibale with custom 3 if you use a spacer (ie, a comply or shure olive core ) The same goes for the shure iem's and many others on that list.

You have to buy the comply tips or shure olives and decore them (remove the foam )
regular_smile .gif

Aug 13, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #17 of 25
I really wonder if Sleek Audio SA6s' cable is better than C3s' ? They are also very thin and don't seem trustworthy, however I didn't heard of any complain about 'em.

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #19 of 25

Quote:
monster hybrid foam tips on a comply core is the way to go with the custom 3 

You really think so?  I tried this, and I found that it ruined the midrange.  One of the things I always liked about the Custom 3 was the midrange, even if it was a little too warm for my taste with a perfect seal, and the Monster hybrids made female vocals sound harsh and pianos sounded thin.

Did you have them inserted deep?  I did not, since I was concerned about the tips getting stuck in my ears; however, I definitely had a good seal.  Either our ears are rather different, you had the tips mounted slightly different, or some other variable produced a much different sound.

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #20 of 25
 I had one monster hybrid tip on each nozzle and they were in my ears all the way so that the driver housings were flush with my ears ,However some other tips work well for me on the c3s also , shure silicon's ,standard monster tips,shure triple flange cut down to a duel flange , the only tips i do not like on them are klipsch gels
popcorn.gif

Quote:

You really think so?  I tried this, and I found that it ruined the midrange.  One of the things I always liked about the Custom 3 was the midrange, even if it was a little too warm for my taste with a perfect seal, and the Monster hybrids made female vocals sound harsh and pianos sounded thin.

Did you have them inserted deep?  I did not, since I was concerned about the tips getting stuck in my ears; however, I definitely had a good seal.  Either our ears are rather different, you had the tips mounted slightly different, or some other variable produced a much different sound.

Aug 16, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #21 of 25
When people say the Custom 3 cable doesn't make too much noise, I wonder if my pair came from a batch of particularly stiff cable wire.  Mine are quite stiff and make quite a bit of audible noise when I turn my head, as they brush against beard stubble, etc.  Microphonics are something that I'm quite sensitive to, and on the Custom 3, it makes it difficult for me to the music.  It keeps reminding me I'm listening to IEMs rather than being there live, in person.

Outside of the microphonics, I really like the Custom 3 sound signature and their open, airy, very ambient reproduction.  I use the Shure black foams for isolation.  I'm glad you're enjoying yours and hope they give you many years of service.  Thanks for the review.

Aug 17, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #22 of 25
I find wearing the cord under my shirt and using the slider on the cord right up to my chin eliminates the microphonics that you describe 

Quote:
When people say the Custom 3 cable doesn't make too much noise, I wonder if my pair came from a batch of particularly stiff cable wire.  Mine are quite stiff and make quite a bit of audible noise when I turn my head, as they brush against beard stubble, etc.  Microphonics are something that I'm quite sensitive to, and on the Custom 3, it makes it difficult for me to the music.  It keeps reminding me I'm listening to IEMs rather than being there live, in person.

Outside of the microphonics, I really like the Custom 3 sound signature and their open, airy, very ambient reproduction.  I use the Shure black foams for isolation.  I'm glad you're enjoying yours and hope they give you many years of service.  Thanks for the review.

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #23 of 25
Cinching the cord behind your head will also improve the microphonics considerably.  With that said, it really is surprising how microphonic the cord is for an over-the-ear style earphone.

Quote:
I find wearing the cord under my shirt and using the slider on the cord right up to my chin eliminates the microphonics that you describe 

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #24 of 25

Quote:
Cinching the cord behind your head will also improve the microphonics considerably.  With that said, it really is surprising how microphonic the cord is for an over-the-ear style earphone.

I find wearing the cord behind my head uncomfortable with all iem's

Aug 18, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #25 of 25
Back when I owned them, I didn't need to use the cord slider at all to lessen microphonics, as they were already pretty quiet as it is. The Shure Olive foams are indeed a highly recommended tip of them, it made them into the highest-isolating IEMs i've ever had, without sacrificing the SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back