Newbie review: Klipsch Custom 3
Aug 11, 2010 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Jzbass25

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, this is my first review so be easy on me haha

I just got the Custom 3's for $100 on amazon and Ive been listening to them for about an hour or so. First I want to say that the microphonics really arent as bad as I thought they would be, sure the mesh can make some noise but I generally wear really soft shirts so they dont really create too much friction for the cable to rub across. Out of the packaging I gave the cable a little "massage" to get out the kinks and it feels great and works great.

Now for the sound, my last headphones were $100 sonys which I got on a blackfriday sale for half off, that was a great deal but it was nowhere near the deal the klipsch were. The klipsch are a lot more exciting and fun to listen to, they have a great soundstage which I compare to be near the same soundstage as the Bose noise-cancelling over-ears. The bass is rich and deep but doesnt overpower, everything seems to level out. Compared to the sony's I would say that the mid is a little bit more forward. The treble is clear, crisp and not shrill, I havent noticed any sibilance at all. Every frequency feels very smooth and nothing seems to overpower each other. I can pick out instruments very well which will help with transcribing music.

The headphones came with some great accessories too. With it there are multiple tips, a carrying case that can hold an ipod and some adapters for different plug sizes. I havent tried all the tips yet but the ones that came on it isolate very well and fit very well so I might just keep these on. I believe they say the ones that come on it are medium size and will fit most people.

Now I also got a biosciencegeek Cmoy amp and I tested the headphones with and without on the same songs and I notice that it adds more soundstage and makes the bass even more deep and allows the trebles to come out slightly more.

Overall I think these are some of the best headphones I've ever heard even against some good over ear headphones. The cable is the only minus since Im not a fan of mesh but if I ever have problems with it I may just get some custom molds to put these drivers in.

Edit: I will test them later tonight with my guitar effects to see how well they work for some quiet practice.

Aug 11, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 25
@zbass ,Very nice review ,Glad you like them
happy_face1.gif
 the custom 3 is one of favorate phones and is one of the best sounding phones i have , a very under rated iem in my opinion .

Aug 11, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 25

Quote:
A lot of people complain about the cable, I've never seen them in person or in pictures...is it just a mesh/memory wire combo that people don't like? 

The wire is very thin and were it comes out of the right angled plug it can bend up at a right angle splitting the mesh covering the cable,if you carry your player in your pocket  this can be avoided if you put your player in your pocket upside down so no unnatural bend is formed in the cable . i have no problem with my cable ,had them 11 months now .

Aug 11, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 25
I love the Custom 3 and have no problems with the cable because I only use them at my desk in the office. No reason to tempt the fates. I'd like them to last a long time.

Aug 11, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #6 of 25
It's a shame Klipsch gave up on them before they ever became popular, haha.  Frankly, they're a killer product and at the price they're going for, they're an outstanding deal.  The Custom 3 has one of the best sound stages I've heard from an IEM for size, linearity of space, and being able to both portray proximity and distance well.  I wasn't a major fan of stock tips, although some folks go ga-ga over them.  I prefer stepping to the Shure Olive tips instead.

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #7 of 25

Quote:
The wire is very thin and were it comes out of the right angled plug it can bend up at a right angle splitting the mesh covering the cable,if you carry your player in your pocket  this can be avoided if you put your player in your pocket upside down so no unnatural bend is formed in the cable . i have no problem with my cable ,had them 11 months now .

I already carry my player upside down in my pocket because it allows the cable to be more manageable when Im walking to class so lucky me haha

Quote:
It's a shame Klipsch gave up on them before they ever became popular, haha.  Frankly, they're a killer product and at the price they're going for, they're an outstanding deal.  The Custom 3 has one of the best sound stages I've heard from an IEM for size, linearity of space, and being able to both portray proximity and distance well.  I wasn't a major fan of stock tips, although some folks go ga-ga over them.  I prefer stepping to the Shure Olive tips instead.

I was going to buy some Shure Olive tips just to try them out so maybe I'll revive the thread if I decide to get some.

As for playing guitar with them they are much more natural sounding than the sonys, with the sony headphones sometimes a distorted tone or even a clean tone would be too harsh (possibly because it is all patched out to go with some celestion v30 speakers) but with the klipsch the tones sound almost as if it is a guitar mastered in a studio, it is really great.

Aug 12, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #8 of 25
To the op, nice review.

Quote:

My cable has developed this problem in many places including the bottom of the memory wire on both sides, at the plug, and several places in-between.  I just cut the surrounding mesh, so that it hangs straight again.  The cable is beyond terrible.  It tangles easily and doesn't untangle easily, and then there is the microphonics.  The cable has changed from release to now.  I got a pair early on and the cable was better and didn't have any of the kinking problems, but seemed to be more microphonic.  The second pair I got had the kinking problem but seemed to be less microphonic.  I can't say if it has changed again after all of the complaints, but I suspect that is why Klipsch discontinued the Custom series.  They really just need to re-release it with a new cable and I think it would be a good headphone again, especially if the price stays low.

Has anyone tried different tips with their Custom 3?  I find that a wider nozzle tip brings the treble out more.  I don't have any that will stay on the earphone, but I have thought about boring out the hole slightly on one of the Klipsch tips to see if that helps.  I find mine too warm if I get a perfect seal, but at about a 90% seal it gets closer to neutral but still warm.

Aug 13, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #10 of 25
I know the brand comply but Im not sure what you mean with comply core. I know these but they dont have anything to do with monster.

http://www.complyfoam.com/Product/Tx%7B48%7D100-/Model/Custom-3

Aug 13, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #11 of 25
I just listened to Charlie Parkers "Just Friends" with the orchestra and man I am even more blown away! The orchestra sounds so rich, the Cello had great tone! (even though as a gigging bassist I prefer to act like cello doesnt sound good compared to bass, as a joke of course =P). Charlie's Sax is so smooth and rich, even with an older recording these things just shine!

As a side note I listened to piano reductions of Steve Vai music and the piano sounded amazing, of course it just might be a well voiced piano and good mastering; however, the klipsch are 10x more clear than my sony's with the piano and the depth of the soundstage feels like I'm right next to the piano, it gives me chills! (I am a stickler for piano tuning and tone since I grew up with a piano technician father)

Btw for reference I have been listening to all styles with these such as : funk, jazz, rock (geared more toward steve vai, p. gilbert and satch, Zappa, but also some pink floyd), r&b (new and old), listened to some Outkast, classical music, Blues, and also some progressive metal (dream theater is really it). So my views aren't really genre bias, they all sound great.

Small Edit: Forgot to say that I also play 7 string guitar and the sonys seem to lose some sort of tone with the low B string but these are fine. Also just a little bit ago I decided to sit in some silence and read and I completely forgot they were on, I had to feel the sides of my ears to see if they were in or just hanging on my ears.

Aug 13, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #12 of 25
^ nice impressions ,glad you are enjoying the c3s, they are a great iem , and by the way a comply core is the tube in the middle of a comply tip , remove the foam part of the tip  and you are left with a tube (or core) you need to put this on the nozzles of the custom 3 to fit the monster foam hybrid tips on the c3s .

Aug 13, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #13 of 25
If I can get rid of this guitar pickup Im trying to sell maybe I'll do that then, atm without it sold I only want to pay for one batch of tips (Unless I can somehow just buy the cores). So maybe I will start with the comply's then get some foam hybrids and try it out. Also how are the comply tips compared to the shure or the monsters? I like the wax gaurd since sometimes I have those days where allergies make me really waxy and memory foam seems like a good idea. But if I go the monster route I may just buy the cheaper comply's here. Then I can just get the more expensive monster tips later to fit over the cores.

Aug 13, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #14 of 25

Quote:
If I can get rid of this guitar pickup Im trying to sell maybe I'll do that then, atm without it sold I only want to pay for one batch of tips (Unless I can somehow just buy the cores). So maybe I will start with the comply's then get some foam hybrids and try it out. Also how are the comply tips compared to the shure or the monsters? I like the wax gaurd since sometimes I have those days where allergies make me really waxy and memory foam seems like a good idea. But if I go the monster route I may just buy the cheaper comply's here. Then I can just get the more expensive monster tips later to fit over the cores.

I DO NOT LIKE THE COMPLY TIPS , THEY SUCK THE LIFE OUT OF MUSIC, MONSTER FOAM HYBRIDS ARE MUCH BETTER , THE MONSTER TIPS ARE QUITE DURABLE AND LAST A FAIR WHILE

Aug 13, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #15 of 25
Well is there a way I can just get the cores or do I have to buy the tips to get them?

Btw why does this say they are compatible with the custom 3? http://monstersupertips.com/compatibility.asp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back