Newbie looking for your expertise.
Jun 30, 2011 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Goochmon

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I am currently in the market for a new pair of headphones.  I have been doing my own research and in doing so I have found it quite difficult to zero on one particular pair where I feel I am getting great value while also being suited to my needs.  I would really like your help in offering opinions about what I should buy, try, or consider for my purchase. 

I am looking at headphones in the 100-150 dollar range, in an over ear style.  I like to listen to all types of music with a focus on reggae, jazz, dance, some rock and hip-hop.  I also really enjoy watching movies and playing video games.  However, listening to music would be the dominant use for these new headphones.  My personal research has me stumped between Grado s60's or Audio Technica m50's.   The later of the two being more versatile while the former is more of a audiophiles introduction to headphones. 

I'm sure some of you will have excellent links to a thread for me to read and that would be appreciated but please leave at least one recommendation for me to investigate.    

Thank you for your consideration.

> _ <

Jun 30, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 13
I've heard the ATH-M50 and they sound very good with Jazz, Dance and Reggae. I think they would suit you well.

Jun 30, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #3 of 13
I adore my SR-60, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it for your music.  More upbeat jazz can sound fun, and rock is phenomenal but IMHO they are too aggressive for reggae and lack the bass extension and impact that dance and hip-hop need.

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #4 of 13
I could also suggest you look into the AKG K240S / MKii.

They deal well with almost all types of music, the only big problem was with bass guitar-heavy metal, where the mid bass can kind of be overpowering.

Since your focus is on music that doesn't normally exhibit large amounts of continuous bass, they should be perfect for giving you the "oomph" in the lower end. And of course the highs are wonderful on these. I find these very laid-back in sound.

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 13
SR80i here

Fun to mod, portable to a sense, great forward sound and good comfort. 

the SR80i are more clear then the SR60i because of a better cable.

Get the SR80i with a set of G-cush earpads. $40 for earpads? Yes, they are well worth it! The same are used on the Grado PS1000 and are extremely nice. $140 and you don't need an amp!

Jun 30, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #8 of 13
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the replies, I am certainly interested in the aspects of modification, and appreciate your responses. 

I have been trying to access the sticky on the main page regarding a newbie buyers guide but am getting an error message.  Anyone else having this problem?

Would you have any suggestions for Sony or Sennheiser?  Things to stay away from?

Your advice is appreciated. 

>_<

Jun 30, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #9 of 13
If you don't have some specific hps in mind, post here will just get you lost. Here I can pull out more phones for you at price range. stuff from Sennheiser , Shure, Beyer, etc all have something in your price range. If I were you, i would get both of those phone used and listen to them for yourself and sell the one that you don't like. If you just wanna one all arounder i have to vote for M50( the price must be around $100 ) other wise Shure 840 would be a better choice

Jul 2, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #10 of 13
Consider the Denon AH-D1100.

They suit your musical preferences. I am also a big reggae fan and love to listen to dub through these. They are also great for rock and electronic music in general.

They are "around the ear" and are considered portable. Super comfortable too. Great soundstage and instrument separation.

Price is around $200, but if you shop around you can find them for less.

Was listening to Kanka - A Ticket To die? and NIN - The Great Destroyer while I wrote these. You won't be disappointed.

Jul 2, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #11 of 13
Something fun and a bit different: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/545368/review-fischer-audio-fa-011-off-the-deep-end

Jul 3, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #12 of 13
Thanks again everyone for your help and recomendations.

I have reviewed and researched all of your suggestions, I went to my local headphone store to try them all for extended periods of time, they were all very good.  Ultimately I went with the ATH m50's.   I really enjoyed their bass and mid's, while other headphones had more impressive mids; either I didn't enjoy the bass quite as much or felt the bass was lacking.  Not that I am a bass head but for me, I really liked the overall balace of the m50's.  Beyond that they have a lot of positive reviews and get great feedback from the consumer.   I also tried the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II and they were awesome but out of my price range.   

Now all I have to do is burn them in. 

>_<

Jul 3, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #13 of 13
Congrats on your purchase. Good thing you could try them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back