Newbie introduction and needing DAP suggestions
Mar 27, 2022 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Symphen

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

i'm totally new to this hobby and want to start getting into DAPs and pairing them with decent IEMs. I have a budget of about 2000€ (for DAP + IEM) and really wanna invest into something portable, since i do travel a lot.

Overview of DAPs i looked at:

• First off the IBasso DX240 and DX300. Each one would set me back around 1000€. I've heard/read many times, that the sound-experience is somewhat better on the DX300, whlist the 240 offers the better formfactor and user-experience.

• Next there are the FiiO M11 Plus LTD and the M15 for 800€and 1000€ respectively.

• Last but not least there also is the Astell & Kern A&norma SR25, which seems to get a lot of praise for the experience-package and the stellar barrery life.

About me:

I do listen to a lot of stuff overall. From Meat Loaf, Genesis and Joe Cocker over Alestorm, Rammstein and Metallica to DJ-Sets from Veni Vici and Deadmau5.

So my main goal would be an increase in overall music quality compared to my phone (Iphone 12 Pro Max), without focusing too much on a certrain genre or musical feeling (even though i like warmer sound a lot when it comes to instrumentals). Also, i'd like to have access to Spotify or Apple Music, mainly because my collection of high quality music isn't that extensive yet.

The only high quality headphones i currently own are a pair of Sony WH-1000 XM3 because of their awesome ANC. The better sound quality, compared to the no-name-stuff i used to own before, actually got me interested in getting into this hobby.

So thanks in advance to everyone even taking the time to read through all of this and especially to those who can help me with suggestions. Feel free to ask me anything which i didn't answer yet.

Cheers!

Mar 27, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 16
If you are planning to use streaming services I would steer away from A&K because the company doesn't bother to update firmware to keep up with streaming service changes. I have an AK70, at the time a $600 player. Tidal (better quality, more $$ to artists than Spotify) was integrated -- until Tidal changed some some kind of login requirement and AK basically shrugged and said "not our problem."

I don't know if they followed through with their promise a year ago to update newer/pricier players either. It's not exactly the most organized support site.

https://www.astellnkern.com/aknews/akNews_detail.jsp?newsNo=10&searchParamUrl=newsCategoryNo=7&pageSize=10&langType=1&page=1

I don't think a luxury-priced company should do that to its customers.

Also, A&norma is really an ugly bit of typography.

---------------
Astell&Kern has identified the issues users are having with the embedded Tidal app. Tidal has changed the authentication method used when logging into third-party Tidal apps. Astell&Kern is working as quickly as possible to make the required changes in the embedded app.
New firmware updates for the SP2000, SP1000, SP1000M, SE200, SE100, SR25 and KANN ALPHA will be released in May 2021, which will contain an updated embedded Tidal app to fix the authentication issues.
There is an issue with the new Tidal authentication policies on the following players – KANN CUBE, SA700, SR15, CT15 and CT10. We are looking into ways to continue to support the Tidal app on these players. More information will be available in May 2021.
Tidal is dropping support for older model Android devices. Unfortunately this means Tidal can no longer be supported on the following players due to the new authentication requirements - AK380, AK320, AK300, KANN, AK70 MKII, AK70, AK240, AK120II, AK100II.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/posts/1949740605179952
-----------------

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 16
If you are planning to use streaming services I would steer away from A&K because the company doesn't bother to update firmware to keep up with streaming service changes. I have an AK70, at the time a $600 player. Tidal (better quality, more $$ to artists than Spotify) was integrated -- until Tidal changed some some kind of login requirement and AK basically shrugged and said "not our problem."

I don't know if they followed through with their promise a year ago to update newer/pricier players either. It's not exactly the most organized support site.

https://www.astellnkern.com/aknews/akNews_detail.jsp?newsNo=10&searchParamUrl=newsCategoryNo=7&pageSize=10&langType=1&page=1

I don't think a luxury-priced company should do that to its customers.

Also, A&norma is really just an ugly bit of typography.

---------------
Astell&Kern has identified the issues users are having with the embedded Tidal app. Tidal has changed the authentication method used when logging into third-party Tidal apps. Astell&Kern is working as quickly as possible to make the required changes in the embedded app.
New firmware updates for the SP2000, SP1000, SP1000M, SE200, SE100, SR25 and KANN ALPHA will be released in May 2021, which will contain an updated embedded Tidal app to fix the authentication issues.
There is an issue with the new Tidal authentication policies on the following players – KANN CUBE, SA700, SR15, CT15 and CT10. We are looking into ways to continue to support the Tidal app on these players. More information will be available in May 2021.
Tidal is dropping support for older model Android devices. Unfortunately this means Tidal can no longer be supported on the following players due to the new authentication requirements - AK380, AK320, AK300, KANN, AK70 MKII, AK70, AK240, AK120II, AK100II.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/posts/1949740605179952
-----------------

Ah that's a bummer, I didn't know about that. Thanks for the info! I want my devices to be atleast somewhat futureproof.. But the older devices losing support might also be related to the older versions of andriod used in these devices.. Anyway its annoying.

Mar 27, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 16
Ah that's a bummer, I didn't know about that. Thanks for the info! I want my devices to be atleast somewhat futureproof.. But the older devices losing support might also be related to the older versions of andriod used in these devices.. Anyway its annoying.
Yes, it is the older Android, but you would think that A&K would work something out with Tidal instead of letting its players go obsolete. It's not clear to me whether they've even updated the later models after those promises last May.

Mar 27, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #7 of 16
Yes, it is the older Android, but you would think that A&K would work something out with Tidal instead of letting its players go obsolete. It's not clear to me whether they've even updated the later models after those promises last May.
Yeah that's true.. Well thank you for the info, i guess A&K won't be on my top list anymore.

Mar 27, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #8 of 16
Interesting. I didn't know about the M6 until now, imma look into it. Can you briefly explain to me, what makes the M6 stand out compared to its competition? And thanks a lot for the suggestion!
Shanling is fast in firmware support. For IEMs you don't need that much of power, it will be plenty enough and you can invest the rest of the money in whats more important, IEMs.

Mar 28, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #10 of 16
Hey everyone,

i'm totally new to this hobby and want to start getting into DAPs and pairing them with decent IEMs. I have a budget of about 2000€ (for DAP + IEM) and really wanna invest into something portable, since i do travel a lot.

Overview of DAPs i looked at:

• First off the IBasso DX240 and DX300. Each one would set me back around 1000€. I've heard/read many times, that the sound-experience is somewhat better on the DX300, whlist the 240 offers the better formfactor and user-experience.

• Next there are the FiiO M11 Plus LTD and the M15 for 800€and 1000€ respectively.

• Last but not least there also is the Astell & Kern A&norma SR25, which seems to get a lot of praise for the experience-package and the stellar barrery life.

About me:

I do listen to a lot of stuff overall. From Meat Loaf, Genesis and Joe Cocker over Alestorm, Rammstein and Metallica to DJ-Sets from Veni Vici and Deadmau5.

So my main goal would be an increase in overall music quality compared to my phone (Iphone 12 Pro Max), without focusing too much on a certrain genre or musical feeling (even though i like warmer sound a lot when it comes to instrumentals). Also, i'd like to have access to Spotify or Apple Music, mainly because my collection of high quality music isn't that extensive yet.

The only high quality headphones i currently own are a pair of Sony WH-1000 XM3 because of their awesome ANC. The better sound quality, compared to the no-name-stuff i used to own before, actually got me interested in getting into this hobby.

So thanks in advance to everyone even taking the time to read through all of this and especially to those who can help me with suggestions. Feel free to ask me anything which i didn't answer yet.

Cheers!
Most mid tier DAPS are pretty decent, the tricky part is the IEMs....What sound signature are you after?

Mar 28, 2022 at 6:05 AM Post #11 of 16
Most mid tier DAPS are pretty decent, the tricky part is the IEMs....What sound signature are you after?

I would like my music to be mostly balanced with some warmth and a bit of emphasis on the bass. I have been super into bass heavy headphones but i wanna get away from it and try out the more balanced approach and see how i like it, especially since i listen to a lot of genres it really might up my enjoyment of some.

Also, i'm fine with spending quite a chunk of money for my first proper pair of IEMs, but i'd like to stay in the 1000€ range. I'll consider suggestions above that amout of course, especially if you say that like 200€ more makes a super huge difference.

Mar 28, 2022 at 6:55 AM Post #12 of 16
I would like my music to be mostly balanced with some warmth and a bit of emphasis on the bass. I have been super into bass heavy headphones but i wanna get away from it and try out the more balanced approach and see how i like it, especially since i listen to a lot of genres it really might up my enjoyment of some.

Also, i'm fine with spending quite a chunk of money for my first proper pair of IEMs, but i'd like to stay in the 1000€ range. I'll consider suggestions above that amout of course, especially if you say that like 200€ more makes a super huge difference.
My recommendation

https://shop.musicteck.com/collecti...ucts/um-universal-mext?variant=39664533078078

Mar 28, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #14 of 16
They seem interesting, do they differ a lot from the MEST? Thank you for the recommendation!
Very similar except the high end is more rolled off on the mext, in other words it is not emphasized treble like the mest...but the mest has those ultrahigh drivers.... the mext is more relaxed but still very high resolution over all (it has the bone conduction).... I'm toying with the idea of getting them after hearing them at canjam...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back