Newbie - First serious cans - money issue - Mostly for Rock music
Mar 29, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #17 of 72
I love my HD650s for rock and metal (compared to my friend's SR225s) but that's because I'm weird.
tongue_smile.gif
It really depends on your view of rock, though. If you like laid-back analytical listening (which I do for every kind of music), then HD600s may be your favourite for rock, but if you like an engaging, "rockin'" experience, Grados would be the way to go. Just keep in mind that no matter which of those headphones you get, you'll probably love them.

However, I might add that the Grados are the least amp-dependent of the bunch, so if you don't have an amp and don't plan to get one, you should really consider Grados/Alessandros.

Also, keep in mind that Grados/Alessandros leak more than any headphone I've ever encountered, so if you don't want someone across the room listening in when you're at reasonable listening levels, go for something else.

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #18 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my HD650s for rock and metal (compared to my friend's SR225s) but that's because I'm weird.
tongue_smile.gif
It really depends on your view of rock, though. If you like laid-back analytical listening (which I do for every kind of music), then HD600s may be your favourite for rock, but if you like an engaging, "rockin'" experience, Grados would be the way to go. Just keep in mind that no matter which of those headphones you get, you'll probably love them.

However, I might add that the Grados are the least amp-dependent of the bunch, so if you don't have an amp and don't plan to get one, you should really consider Grados/Alessandros.

Also, keep in mind that Grados/Alessandros leak more than any headphone I've ever encountered, so if you don't want someone across the room listening in when you're at reasonable listening levels, go for something else.

Hmm.. Now I just thought I was determined to buy the AD700s - But Alexandros free shipping.. Hmm.. Hmm.. Well .. It seems like the Grado arent that comfortable - And I really need that if I sit several hours in front of my computer. - I really like sennheiser, and yes they are for detailed listening. But they will sound like **** if you don't get a decent amp for them, it would truely be sad, as far as I have heard.

I know Grado is a very good choice for rock/metal - problem is, they are way to expensive over here.

AD700 seems to be a very good choice, and they ship for around 1000kr from germany.

Alessandro MS-2 - free shipping from homepage? - sounds good, but its still $299 - If it's a little difference in sound, I think 40% more than AD700 is too much - But thanks for the advice anyway!

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #19 of 72
No, the Senns won't sound like crap without an amp, just not driven to its full potential.

Try the MS1i it's $109.

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #20 of 72
So If I'm going to buy the AD700, unless you really can convince me it's a stupid idea.

What about the amplifier? - Most hi-fi headphones get much better sound with an amplifier, obviously. But If I use a Sound blaster X-Fi extreme gamer sound card for my computer, and I mainly will be using them through there (no I don't plan on trashing my sound card and only using a DAC), then what amplifier should I use?

the sound card only takes 3.5 mini jack and spdif. And yeah I'm a complete noob in this area, but if an amplifier really is going to change a lot, and the AD700 only costs 170$, then would I be able to get a decent (but not overly pricey) amp?

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #21 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, the Senns won't sound like crap without an amp, just not driven to its full potential.

Try the MS1i it's $109.

Hmm..

So MS1 vs senn 600 or 650 vs AD700?

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #22 of 72
Sure. Even better if you can find the HD600 for cheaper and have money for an amp.

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #24 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Christian Boysen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm..

So MS1 vs senn 600 vs AD700?

From all the reading I've done (and I've seriously done a lot of reading over the last few days) and apparently the AD700's are better for newcommers after a non-Grado-type sound signature and the MS1s are for the rock users who really just want the sound.

If you'll be doing ANY movie watching or ANY game playing, you shouldn't choose MS1s as they apparently have a poor soundstage.

Edit:
Also, forgot to mention I know nothing about the senn 600s :p

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #25 of 72
From my limited experience: I've owned Sennheiser HD580's, and I'll own them again. They sound much better than most here will admit without an amp. They do sound much better with one.

I've also owned the Grado SR125, and auditioned the SR60, 80 and 225. I liked the SR80 enough better than the 60 to buy it over the 60. In fact, I really wish I'd gotten the SR80 over the SR125. I liked the SR225 enough better to get that model over the others if I could afford it. I couldn't at the time. The big qualifiers with Grado are comfort and the bright, forward sound. I found both fatiguing, and will likely continue to stay away from Grados for those reasons. There are many out there who completely disagree with me as well.

I have a pair of AT ESW10's. For their size, or any size, they are brilliant. For their cost, they better be!

I also have a pair of Ultrasone HFI 780's. The jury is still out on those. DEEP BASS that is tight and controlled, brittle highs, and a really forward presentation - think Nora Jones' lips pressed against your ears forward. I received these with 200 hours, and I'm told that they continue to improve to 400+ hours, so I'm basically playing them 24-7 for the next week or two.

I had a pair of Ultrasone Proline 750's. They are a nice, accurate phone with serious bass. I don't think quite as deep as the 780's, but a bit more accurate, I think. These things are like a magnifying glass to your music. They are also a funky blue color. The main reason I sold them. If the 780's don't work out for me, I think the pro 900's will be my next choice.

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #28 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Christian Boysen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And how much money would that be .. ?

It depends on how much you're willing to spend. It's as cheap as $20 (Cmoy) to around $100 (Little Dot 1+) and to the sky.

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #29 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by GeckoSlayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From all the reading I've done (and I've seriously done a lot of reading over the last few days) and apparently the AD700's are better for newcommers after a non-Grado-type sound signature and the MS1s are for the rock users who really just want the sound.

If you'll be doing ANY movie watching or ANY game playing, you shouldn't choose MS1s as they apparently have a poor soundstage.

Edit:
Also, forgot to mention I know nothing about the senn 600s :p

Hmm.. quite important point about the movie thing. I do watch a lot of movies with headphones, so it definitely will be in serious consideration.

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #30 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends on how much you're willing to spend. It's as cheap as $20 (Cmoy) to around $100 (Little Dot 1+) and to the sky.

Well i was thinking something around 100-150$ max

requirements

Good for Audio Technica ATH-AD700

Good for (able to) plugging in to the desktop computer with Creative X-Fi extreme gamer sound card

max 150$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back