Newbie - First serious cans - money issue - Mostly for Rock music
Mar 29, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #31 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Christian Boysen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most hi-fi headphones get much better sound with an amplifier, obviously.

Have you tried most hi-fi headphones unamped and amped, or is this just something parroted from Head-fi?

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #32 of 72
Try looking for tube amps like the Little Dots to add more warmness.

IMO of course. You might want a solid state one like a Zero.

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #33 of 72
Speaking in general terms only, amplifiers amplify the sound. So the lower Ohms, easier to drive. This is why the Sennheisers (600 0r 650) need an amp. They have higher impedance. All of these headphones will sound better with an amp, some need an amp to get the sound out, or you will have a situation that is going to leave you spending more money. This is only speaking in general terms, not an education of electrical engineering, so let's not start the flames to amp or not.

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #34 of 72
pa2v2 amp and Grado 225, i had a chance to give them a short listen and it was really nice. Alessandros might be a good alternative if money is an issue. the pa2v2 amp is less than $100

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #36 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried most hi-fi headphones unamped and amped, or is this just something parroted from Head-fi?

Oh - It's all parroted. I have never had the chance to listen to headphones amped - neither the chance to listen to some nice headphones, other than special eddition vinyls on my half-audiophile old father's headphones (sennheiser 430) from around 1980.

So yeah.. Basically I'm just trying to make the right buy, and making it last for a long time.

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #37 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Busta9iron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking in general terms only, amplifiers amplify the sound. So the lower Ohms, easier to drive. This is why the Sennheisers (600 0r 650) need an amp. They have higher impedance. All of these headphones will sound better with an amp, some need an amp to get the sound out, or you will have a situation that is going to leave you spending more money. This is only speaking in general terms, not an education of electrical engineering, so let's not start the flames to amp or not.

K701s are only 62 ohms and need an amp. You have to take sensetivity into account too.

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #38 of 72
Quote:

Hmm.. One thing is for sure, Headphones is the one most subjective field I have ever touched
smily_headphones1.gif

That, my friend, is the biggest understatement of all time
wink.gif

If these will be your only cans, I'd shy away from Grado . . . . while they are easy to drive and sound great for rock their comfort and sound-signature will be limiting regarding listening time and variety of musical styles at which they excel. They are great cans, but IMO as a 2nd or 3rd set.

HD600 will work well, but will definitely benefit greatly from an amp (which can be added later perhaps when financial resources increase). If you can get them cheap enough (used maybe?) you may have enough cash for a used amp which would get you off to a good start.

I'd suggest having a look at Ultrasone, some may be within your budget while several models will be if you buy used. I find the ProLine 750 to be a very versatile headphone and use mine for a variety of genre's. I have not heard the other models, but they are well liked by many. These will benefit from an amp also, but is it far from necessary.

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #39 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K701s are only 62 ohms and need an amp. You have to take sensetivity into account too.

That is why I said generally speaking. No need to give the OP information overload, as he is getting input on all the cans that are recommended.

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #40 of 72
Yeah well, as you might recognize, I'm easily affected by all your comments, so far I'm overwhelmed by the replies and help.

Right now i stand at 1500kr for senn HD 600 vs 1100kr for AD 700

They're mostly for Rock/metal but also Classical acousitc (yeah bad combo, but I'm not much up for 3.20 minute stereotype mainstream music)

Yeah I may be getting a decent amp someday

After all they are mainly going to be used for movies and music

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #41 of 72
If there's only about a $45 difference, go with the Senns.

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #42 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there's only about a $45 difference, go with the Senns.

Hmm.. You may be right - Can you explain why, since whats the difference in soundstage and etc compared to the AD700 ? - I get that they are two completely different types of head phones and thus different sound. But is the senns just better overall?

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #43 of 72
Quote:

Oh - It's all parroted. I have never had the chance to listen to headphones amped - neither the chance to listen to some nice headphones, other than special eddition vinyls on my half-audiophile old father's headphones (sennheiser 430) from around 1980.

So yeah.. Basically I'm just trying to make the right buy, and making it last for a long time.

In that case, trust your ears! There are lots of opinions here (as you've seen). Go with what sounds good to you, and don't mind what others say your phones need to sound good to them.

Personally, of all the phones you've mentioned, I'd go with the AD700. None of them are bad phones, but the AD700 has a certain magic to it that's hard to find elsewhere.

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #44 of 72
Quote:

Yeah I may be getting a decent amp someday

After all they are mainly going to be used for movies and music

If the someday means sooner rather than later, I would agree that you may want to pull the trigger on the 600's. If you are going to be later, then maybe you should get the AD700's. The soundstage of the AD700's is astounding for the price. Having owned Sennheisers in the past, but not the 600's, I can say that you won't go wrong with them. You may not like the sound you get without amplification. Just keep that in mind, and if you can go try them unamped, you will know for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back