Newbie - First serious cans - money issue - Mostly for Rock music
Mar 29, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #46 of 72
I like my AD900's. I bought them for around 1120kr (150 euro) second-hand.
I've also bought an incoming sr225 for 900kr (164$USD).

You can buy both of them 2nd hand, and you'll be only around 100 kr over your budget. Don't dismiss the for sale forum. That's my advice
smily_headphones1.gif

One other thing to remember is: when I tire of this headphone obsession of mine I can resell my 'phones with little loss. Something to remember.

Mar 29, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #47 of 72
$170 for AD700? You've got to do some more snooping to do.

Search for both AD700 and 900 at ebay and amazon.
Ordering from japan/hong kong is recommended, taxes has an odd tendency to be ignored when being shipped from the far east
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #49 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$170 for AD700? You've got to do some more snooping to do.

Search for both AD700 and 900 at ebay and amazon.
Ordering from japan/hong kong is recommended, taxes has an odd tendency to be ignored when being shipped from the far east
wink.gif

Hmm... worth a thought of course

Mar 29, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #50 of 72
Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet
tongue.gif
. I would definately go for the HD600. If you can buy these and still have money left over for an amp then thats definately the way to go. As for amps, I'd suggest looking at the Little Dot amps, FWIR they are good for their price. If you want a more portable amp look at a iBasso or for less a cmoy or a pa2v2. But as far as cans go, definately the HD600.

Mar 29, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #51 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet
tongue.gif
. I would definately go for the HD600. If you can buy these and still have money left over for an amp then thats definately the way to go. As for amps, I'd suggest looking at the Little Dot amps, FWIR they are good for their price. If you want a more portable amp look at a iBasso or for less a cmoy or a pa2v2. But as far as cans go, definately the HD600.

Well.. Isnt the HD650 just a major improvement of the 600, but kind of same headphone genre? - what I mean is, if I'm gonna buy the HD 600 for rock music and such, shouldnt I just buy the HD650, it's only 90$ more... or what?

Mar 29, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #52 of 72
Some people prefer the 650 to the 600, but many like the 600 more. This is all FWIR, but the 600 are a lot more neutral while the 650 have more bass and are darker in general. If you search the forum there are reviews that compare these two cans in more detail. If it came down to 600+amp vs. 650 without, the 600+amp is the way to go.

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #53 of 72
IMO the Senn HD650 benefits greatly from a beefy amp and a better source than a sound card, this could cost more than $500.

I wanted to suggest keeping it simpler to start, getting a phone easier to drive, then figuring out where you'd like to go next.
HD-25 sounds good from most sources and with most music genres, or the Ultrasones pfillion recommended look tasty too.

I own HD-25 and HD650, I don't have any Ultrasones....yet.
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #54 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some people prefer the 650 to the 600, but many like the 600 more. This is all FWIR, but the 600 are a lot more neutral while the 650 have more bass and are darker in general. If you search the forum there are reviews that compare these two cans in more detail. If it came down to 600+amp vs. 650 without, the 600+amp is the way to go.

Heard from a few reviews that the major difference between the HD600 and the HD650 is the cable, and buying the HD650 cable to use with the HD600 (yes it will work they say) and the HD600 will gain the extra bass that the HD650 got. .. Although I don't know where to buy that cable..

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #55 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Christian Boysen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heard from a few reviews that the major difference between the HD600 and the HD650 is the cable, and buying the HD650 cable to use with the HD600 (yes it will work they say) and the HD600 will gain the extra bass that the HD650 got. .. Although I don't know where to buy that cable..

That definitely won't happen. Maybe you're thinking of the ER4P/S situation, which is a case of difference in impedance only.

Anyway, I'll admit I just jumped from the first page to this page of the thread. Either the AD700 or HD 600 is a fine starting point, but unless you have a very decent/high setup, the HD 600 (and especially the HD 650) will sound severely underpowered. The bass will be flabby, and the sound in general will sound weak and "unmotivated."

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #56 of 72
Hmm.. I'm starting to get a little insecure again to be honest. A lot of people mention that an upgrade of the standard HD 600 cable is like getting a new pair of headphones. So now I'm left with a little cluelessness.

Should I buy the Senn 600 + mini amp + cable = 360$+

or

Buy Senn 600 + mini amp ~~ 360$

or

buy the senn 650 and wait for amp (for quite a while) ~~ 360$+++

or

Stick to the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 and get an amp = 350$

Hmm.. This getting rather tricky

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #57 of 72
With your budget, honestly, I'd just go with the AD700/AD900.

Unless you want to save up, and then buy a decent mid-fi amp (like a Gilmore Lite) and a HD 600, hopefully both off of this site's FS sub-forum to save a great deal of money.

As for the cable talk, never expect a major change like that. Unless the cables that the headphone comes with are seriously flawed sonic-wise, then you're just fooling yourself and your wallet with the false hopes of wonder and amazement with the imagined mind-blowing improvement.

If you want to dabble in cables, it should be after you are settled in with your system. I'm not saying cables don't make a difference, but with such extreme view about cables making a difference around here, it's a sign that you should not consider tweaking that part of any system until you are satisfied with your entire system and know what it sounds like as-is.

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #59 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. The RS-1 will be a good star point as reference for rock hp.
2. K-271 can be a good option, even as used.

smily_headphones1.gif
Yeah well, about the RS-1 thing. It's gonna blow my budget with about 300%
wink.gif
- every grado is highly overpriced here I think. They will cost around 1000$ in Denmark.

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #60 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With your budget, honestly, I'd just go with the AD700/AD900.

Unless you want to save up, and then buy a decent mid-fi amp (like a Gilmore Lite) and a HD 600, hopefully both off of this site's FS sub-forum to save a great deal of money.

As for the cable talk, never expect a major change like that. Unless the cables that the headphone comes with are seriously flawed sonic-wise, then you're just fooling yourself and your wallet with the false hopes of wonder and amazement with the imagined mind-blowing improvement.

If you want to dabble in cables, it should be after you are settled in with your system. I'm not saying cables don't make a difference, but with such extreme view about cables making a difference around here, it's a sign that you should not consider tweaking that part of any system until you are satisfied with your entire system and know what it sounds like as-is.

About saving the great deal of money - Hmm.. Really ? Even though I live in Denmark? - Don't you think the shipping will ruin it all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back