Newbie Amp/DAC/Headphone Advice
Aug 4, 2014 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

scubadvr2001

New Head-Fier
I've recently decided to get more serious about putting together a good headphone system, but have not decided as yet decided how deeply I want to dive into this new adventure.  I am going to arbitrarily set two budget amounts and ask the forum to give me their recommendations.  I primarily listen to classical, smooth jazz, and 60-70's rock.  If the budget was $2000 what would you recommend? If the budget was raised to $4000 what would you recommend? 

Thank you in advance for your guidance.

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 13
Audio-GD NFB-11, external DAC/Amp, $355+shipping.
http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB112014/NFB112014EN.htm

Audio Technica ATH-W1000X closed headphones (wooden cups), $420.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-ATH-W1000X-Grandioso-Closed-Back-Audiophile-Headphones-/201126613153?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item2ed41490a1

Nice sound for under $1000

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 13
This Battle of the Flagship thread might help: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_index2

Audio-GD NFB-11 is definitely nice. You might consider stepping up to the Compass 2 which allows you to switch out DAC chips to experiment with different sound.

Aug 6, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 13
I have been looking at the Audeze LCD 2 and really like them. I am also considering the HD 800's. I am not familiar with your amp/DAC recommendation. I live in London right now, so I will have to see if I can find this equipment and test it. If I was going to budget $4k what would you recommend for the amp and DAC? Thanks for your guidance.

Aug 6, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 13
HD800 + NAD M51 + Audio GD Master 9 goes just over. That's what I am aiming for ATM. 

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #7 of 13
Hifiman HE-560, schiit lyr/asgaard/audio GD stuff and ODAC. HE-560's very, very good for classical rock, might lack a bit of excitement for jazz.

Alternatively, wait for he-6 successor and jade 2.

A setup based around 007 might be good, though I can't vouch for that one. Guess one should hear the Staxes before buying anyway. There are many options within electrostat world, though.

You should audition hd800 before buying btw.

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #8 of 13
Hifiman HE-560, schiit lyr/asgaard/audio GD stuff and ODAC. HE-560's very, very good for classical rock, might lack a bit of excitement for jazz.

Alternatively, wait for he-6 successor and jade 2.

A setup based around 007 might be good, though I can't vouch for that one. Guess one should hear the Staxes before buying anyway. There are many options within electrostat world, though.

You should audition hd800 before buying btw.

+1. 

If you like the HD800 it can be just about end game. Until the HD900 lol. 

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #9 of 13
I spent some time looking at the Audio GD website and reading a number of Head-Fi reviews.  The Audio GD equipment is certainly well respected.  Being a newbie, the options for the NFB-11 and the Compass are confusing.  What specific options would you recommend for the NFB-11 and for the Compass?

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #10 of 13
I also saw quite a few excellent reviews for the Woo WA7.  While there are significant differences in the prices, from a performance perspective how does the WA7 compare to the Audio-GD NFB-11 and the Audio-GD Compass?

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #11 of 13
I spent some time looking at the Audio GD website and reading a number of Head-Fi reviews.  The Audio GD equipment is certainly well respected.  Being a newbie, the options for the NFB-11 and the Compass are confusing.  What specific options would you recommend for the NFB-11 and for the Compass?

As I understand it, the big difference between the Compass and the NFB-11 are that the Compass allows you to switch out the DAC chips to try other sounds (you have to pay for the extra chips). Certainly the Compass will be a step up in SQ, but I was told by someone that if you already have the NFB-11, then upgrading to the Compass is not a giant leap in SQ. The Compass does have a line input if that is important.

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #12 of 13
I also saw quite a few excellent reviews for the Woo WA7.  While there are significant differences in the prices, from a performance perspective how does the WA7 compare to the Audio-GD NFB-11 and the Audio-GD Compass?

The Woo is a tube amp. The Audio-GDs are solid state amps. People buy tube amps because they flavor the sound. People buy solid state for accuracy. You could get the NFB-11 and the WA3 or WA6. Use the NFB-11s DAC with the Woos. Then you could choose to listen to tube sound or solid state :)

Dec 13, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #13 of 13
Hey Scubadiver,

As I've gone through purchasing a new setup during the last two months I've read tons of reviews about nearly every components out there in the upper price range.

The most important finding that I've had was: listen! You can get an idea of what is out there and worth listening by reading, but nothing can replace your own listening experience.

For example, in the price class where you are looking for equipment there are mainly three headphones available, the LCD2, the HD 800 and the HE 560. There are some others aside, which you can all find in the wonderful thread "Battle of the flagships", and they are all great if you like the sound signature. For me in the end the HD 800 could not convince me in one listening session. Instead, when I heard the first tones out of the LCD3 (I started listening to cans from 1000-2000$) it was immediately clear that this headphones need to be mine.

As the LCD2 is the little bit cheaper LCD3 but sonically very near to it I would always go again for an Audeze, I like the musicality and the Bass is fabulous and it's less fatiguing to me then the HD 800. But - a lot of people really like the HD 800 much more then the Audezes.

Depending on the headphone you can look for an amp - the combination of both can both sound quite different. I finally ended up with a tube amp, because I simply love tubes - it's a pleasure for me listen AND watch all the time :).

To name some good amps with integrated DACs it could be the Oppo HA1 and probably the Woo WA7 (which I've never heard so far, but Mike from Woo strongly recommended it over the other Woo amps in the same price region).

If you are looking for a decent DAC and a separate amp you may look for the Audio GD stuff (Master 7 and Master 9) or you may probably consider the Auralic stuff (Vega and Taurus). The latter is great, but above your budget. Questyle could also be a consideration, they have a fabulous DAC/amp combo which is in your budget (according to the review of project86).

Of course the Schiit stuff is also something which you should have a look on. I've not yet be able to listen to it as here in China it's hard to get your hands on it.

I've missed some other good stuff - but the most important thing I've mentioned, try to get your hand in it and listen. What is maybe good to my ears is not good to yours. This makes the audiophile hobby so great - and expensive. No one said it to me so far but - Sorry for your wallet :).

Feuergeist

Users who are viewing this thread

Back