Newbie Advice on headphone & amp
Oct 21, 2012 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Tobiman

New Head-Fier
I'll soon be picking up a beyer 990 pro and an amp/dac, so I can improve my music listening experience. I'm looking for a good amp that will work with the 990 pro, music preference and as well as my cash on hand. My music preference consists of Hip Hop (50 cent & co.) Rock (Skillet, Red, Three days Grace & Co.), Metal, R&B (Banky W and Co) and gaming (if this counts as a preference although I have a PC 350 atm and ATH M50s) and I have a budget of around $150 for the amp/dac. So far, I've been able to single out the beyer 990s as a good choice for headphones, but the hard part is getting an amp/dac combo that will bring my PC (source) back to life and since I'm completely new to this kind of stuff, I decided to ask on here so I can get a few more ideas and perspective of things.The current list of possible amps/dacs that I've been able to put together includes the tube based HIFI EF2A and HRT Music streamer II.
I need help on deciding which amp to get and maybe ideas for better headphones in the 990s price range.

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
I'll soon be picking up a beyer 990 pro and an amp/dac, so I can improve my music listening experience. I'm looking for a good amp that will work with the 990 pro, music preference and as well as my cash on hand. My music preference consists of Hip Hop (50 cent & co.) Rock (Skillet, Red, Three days Grace & Co.), Metal, R&B (Banky W and Co) and gaming (if this counts as a preference although I have a PC 350 atm and ATH M50s) and I have a budget of around $150 for the amp/dac. So far, I've been able to single out the beyer 990s as a good choice for headphones, but the hard part is getting an amp/dac combo that will bring my PC (source) back to life and since I'm completely new to this kind of stuff, I decided to ask on here so I can get a few more ideas and perspective of things.The current list of possible amps/DACs that I've been able to put together includes the tube based HIFI EF2A and HRT Music streamer II.
I need help on deciding which amp to get and maybe ideas for better headphones in the 990s price range.

I'm assuming your using on-board audio?

Refurb Creative X-Fi Titanium (non-HD) PCI-E sound card, $43
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102043

Fiio E9 desktop headphone amplifier, $95
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?is=REG&Q=&A=details&O=productlist&sku=809825

Oct 21, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Sadly, I have a laptop and don't think the sound card will fit in.

I'm assuming your laptop comes with USB ports.
What about S/PDIF optical & coaxial ports?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back