1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie Advice on headphone & amp

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by tobiman, Oct 21, 2012.
  1. Tobiman
    I'll soon be picking up a beyer 990 pro and an amp/dac, so I can improve my music listening experience. I'm looking for a good amp that will work with the 990 pro, music preference and as well as my cash on hand. My music preference consists of Hip Hop (50 cent & co.) Rock (Skillet, Red, Three days Grace & Co.), Metal, R&B (Banky W and Co) and gaming (if this counts as a preference although I have a PC 350 atm and ATH M50s) and I have a budget of around $150 for the amp/dac. So far, I've been able to single out the beyer 990s as a good choice for headphones, but the hard part is getting an amp/dac combo that will bring my PC (source) back to life and since I'm completely new to this kind of stuff, I decided to ask on here so I can get a few more ideas and perspective of things.The current list of possible amps/dacs that I've been able to put together includes the tube based HIFI EF2A and HRT Music streamer II.
    I need help on deciding which amp to get and maybe ideas for better headphones in the 990s price range.

2. PurpleAngel Contributor
    Quote:
    I'm assuming your using on-board audio?

Refurb Creative X-Fi Titanium (non-HD) PCI-E sound card, $43
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102043

Fiio E9 desktop headphone amplifier, $95
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?is=REG&Q=&A=details&O=productlist&sku=809825

3. Tobiman
    Sadly, I have a laptop and don't think the sound card will fit in.

Edit for clarity.

4. PurpleAngel Contributor
    Quote:
    I'm assuming your laptop comes with USB ports.
    What about S/PDIF optical & coaxial ports?

5. Tobiman
    It has USB 2.0 and 3.0 but doesn't have the S/PDIF & coaxial ports.

6. Tobiman