New- Zishan Z1 DSD player thread
Jun 5, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #616 of 1,364
Get the Zishan. I have the opamp rollable Walnut and I prefer the Z1 by quite a margin. No negatives to report so far. Works like a DAC on my mac and will take my 200G card (Though it can get laggy). Great little player

I see....well does Zishan sound warmer in your opinion? Also, does it playback DSD 128 natively? Sorry for all the repeating questions because those are the only factors that I really worry about for a DAP.

Jun 5, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #617 of 1,364
Ohh, really thank you very much for you effort.....anyways I have heard good feedback about this device, do you have any negative opinion regarding the sound quality of the unit you are having? I am quite unsure whether to get this unit or the Walnut V2s........since this unit support DSD and mostly of my file are in DSD format anyways.
Have no negative opinions at all:dt880smile: In fact, just sold my clip+ and gonna sell my ibasso dx90, and have no ambitions to try anything else. I've been interested in v2s too, but have decided to wait until I at least see a single person saying its better than z1. I haven't seen, but have seen the opposite.

I haven't tried with dsd (as far as I know) but have tried with some very hi-res 88/192 or something like that which did'nt go too well (did'nt play I believe). So I'm sticking with 16/44, can't seem to hear the difference anyway

Jun 5, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #618 of 1,364
Have no negative opinions at all:dt880smile: In fact, just sold my clip+ and gonna sell my ibasso dx90, and have no ambitions to try anything else. I've been interested in v2s too, but have decided to wait until I at least see a single person saying its better than z1. I haven't seen, but have seen the opposite.

I haven't tried with dsd (as far as I know) but have tried with some very hi-res 88/192 or something like that which did'nt go too well (did'nt play I believe). So I'm sticking with 16/44, can't seem to hear the difference anyway

Hmm interesting, well judging from your reply, I guess I will go with plan B which is to solely use this unit as amp for my aune m1s and occasionally use it to playback those 16/44.1 flac cd songs that is in my third sd card.

Jun 5, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #620 of 1,364
I don't think you can conclude that dsd won't work perfectly. As I understand it it's a different format entirely

Wow....hmm.....as per usual just a spec sheet......sad.....so at last I will just get either this unit or walnut and use it as an amp for my DAP and DAC......so....which one sounds warmer, this or the walnut?

Jun 5, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #621 of 1,364
I see....well does Zishan sound warmer in your opinion? Also, does it playback DSD 128 natively? Sorry for all the repeating questions because those are the only factors that I really worry about for a DAP.
I do not have the most recent iteration of the Walnut. I do have a walnut that has been recapped with Silmic II caps and a Rubycon power cap and it is no comparison for the Zishan Z1. Is the Z1 warmer, perhaps, but it doesn't have the bass roll off the my Walnut has and it is fun to listen to while still having great instrument seperation and detail. I follow the Walnut thread and it seems like there are a lot of issues with the V2s, while the Z1 has already had a firmware update about a month ago to resolve some issues.

Jun 5, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #622 of 1,364
I've tested with stereo DSD 64 and 128 from here: http://www.2l.no/hires/

It played the 64 with no problems, but the 128 did'nt play at all (it was skipped). I'm using a card tested at more than 80MB/s.

I also observed something a bit puzzling; the z1 kept playing a folder I had deleted on the sd card until I put it in the pc again and emptied the trash. After that, it did'nt.

It seems this "feature" is mac specific; it will move the folder to a trash-folder on the card, but it will still be there and picked up by the z1 until the trash is emptied.

At least I did'nt know it worked that way..

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #623 of 1,364
afaik Walnut is not that good as USB DAC, but personally have no experience. just forum reads.

Interesting. I have been using my Zishan Z1 as a USB DAC with my Thinkpad laptop. I have been very impressed with the quality. Yesterday I listened to a good number of Spotify (extreme quality) tracks and didn't notice anything overly negative. I'd like to try to my Etymotic ER4's to see if I hear anything undesirable.

I'd like to also get a Walnut V2s. Really, I think I just have button envy :ksc75smile: .

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #625 of 1,364
Thanks. Hmm I see well I am planning to connect either Zishan Z1 or Walnut V2s to my Aune m1s or fiio e17k as an amp. In your opinion, which one sounds warmer?

FWIW non of my V2's works as an amp for the M1s, it's output is too hot for them so they distort. Haven't tried the Z1 with it yet but tbh neither V2 nor the Z1 will improve the sq of the M1s......

Jun 5, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #626 of 1,364
Z1 is too lo-fi to pair with aune m1s imo, I prefer RA+ but even there i feel there is room for improvements.

After some time, Z1 dac is super smooth. I use it all the time to pair my computer with my stereo. Windows/Mac/Linux/Android successfully tested. it's a bummer that v2s seems wonky on that part.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #628 of 1,364
About DAC with mac: I had'nt tried, but it worked in 5 seconds. Tried with wav, mp3, flac, all seemed to be fine to my ears.
Screen_Shot_2017-06-05_at_18.30.12.png

It seemed to eat my Sandisk 128gb just fine, but its not practical at all navigationwise. Ordered 2 x 16GB samsung instead. Navigation is a joy with a fast card, where as I had a cheap Ali card where navigation was slow and music was sometimes stuttering.
Get the Zishan. I have the opamp rollable Walnut and I prefer the Z1 by quite a margin. No negatives to report so far. Works like a DAC on my mac and will take my 200G card (Though it can get laggy). Great little player

So just to confirm, Z1 as dac has no problems about pops/clicks?

afaik Walnut is not that good as USB DAC, but personally have no experience. just forum reads.

Yes. I will personally confirm that.

Jun 5, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #629 of 1,364
I do not have the most recent iteration of the Walnut. I do have a walnut that has been recapped with Silmic II caps and a Rubycon power cap and it is no comparison for the Zishan Z1. Is the Z1 warmer, perhaps, but it doesn't have the bass roll off the my Walnut has and it is fun to listen to while still having great instrument seperation and detail. I follow the Walnut thread and it seems like there are a lot of issues with the V2s, while the Z1 has already had a firmware update about a month ago to resolve some issues.

I see, that will be quite interesting, thank you...well I had done more research yesterday and spotted tons of problems with the walnut v2s in example being unable to playback a simple cd ripped file (FLAC) and its DAC is unable to function properly.... Sorry to ask this but does Zishan has a saber house sound (harsh and sometime overly bright high)?

I've tested with stereo DSD 64 and 128 from here: http://www.2l.no/hires/

It played the 64 with no problems, but the 128 did'nt play at all (it was skipped). I'm using a card tested at more than 80MB/s.

I also observed something a bit puzzling; the z1 kept playing a folder I had deleted on the sd card until I put it in the pc again and emptied the trash. After that, it did'nt.

It seems this "feature" is mac specific; it will move the folder to a trash-folder on the card, but it will still be there and picked up by the z1 until the trash is emptied.

At least I did'nt know it worked that way..

Ahh the trash "bug"....well that happened to me when I switched over to mac platform years ago....that sucks though....anyways it seems like mostly of my DSD64 file will have hope being playback by this unit....sadly my DSD128 will be left alone. Thank you anyways.

FWIW non of my V2's works as an amp for the M1s, it's output is too hot for them so they distort. Haven't tried the Z1 with it yet but tbh neither V2 nor the Z1 will improve the sq of the M1s......

Z1 is too lo-fi to pair with aune m1s imo, I prefer RA+ but even there i feel there is room for improvements.

After some time, Z1 dac is super smooth. I use it all the time to pair my computer with my stereo. Windows/Mac/Linux/Android successfully tested. it's a bummer that v2s seems wonky on that part.

Hmm well I had notice that my aune m1s heated up quite a bit especially when I am playing back DSD files....nevertheless, I can still pair thIs up with my Sony NWZ-A15 which is quite low power and needs a little omph to drive some of my earbuds.

He was talking about v2s not v2.

Ohh thanks for the correction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back