New- Zishan Z1 DSD player thread
Apr 20, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #76 of 1,364
Still, from what you are saying it sounds better then Walnut and Zishan DSD,if that's the case many will be very happy especially with the support of 256 GB, great for DSD playback.
Mine shall be here today if not tomorrow.
Probably after 200-300 hours burn in will sound even better.
What headphones you tried with?

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #77 of 1,364
er4b, Docomo earbud, Blox B320, Yinman 600ohm earbud...
I got so excited and felt guilty(!) for settling with something that cost me so little, I ordered two more earphones...

Apr 20, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #80 of 1,364
Apr 20, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #81 of 1,364
So comapared to LG v10 and LG v20 on ess9108 dac, your getting the newer ess9023 for $400 less? What?

Eh, you do understand that the the LG offerings are full featured, top of the line cellphones and the Z1 is a screenless DAP? 

Also the DAC chip is only a very small part while implemention is far more important in my experience. Lastly IIRC the 9018 is a far more expensive chip than the 9023. 

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #82 of 1,364
  Eh, you do understand that the the LG offerings are full featured, top of the line cellphones and the Z1 is a screenless DAP? 

Also the DAC chip is only a very small part while implemention is far more important in my experience. Lastly IIRC the 9018 is a far more expensive chip than the 9023. 

Don't forget they're also paying for the LG brand name, and profit on top of that. It looks like the Z1 might be coming from an OEM manufacturer, which means we might see more of them...

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #83 of 1,364
But Z1 is not perfect, when I plug my earphone into it (with the device turned off), I hear annoying electronic noise.
The other downside being that its volume knob has very little resistance, when I carry it in my pocket I accidentally jake up the volume several times, I think it could be dangerous to use with sensitive IEMs.
Also the two keys on the bottom(LED on & hold) seem redundant to me. The former serves only as a switch-on/off, I remember Walnut is turned on/off by long press the middle key, which is good. And the keys on the front are not easily pressed by mistake, the only thing that should be worried is the volume knob, which the hold key doesn't control...

The Walnut also makes electrical noise when it's turned off and you plug headphones in, it doesn't make sense and actually sounds like a very bad thing. The charging light isn't redundant, it's to let you know when it's done, but the blinking light needs to be cut off. I don't know who the genius was that put that one the final design... who isn't a genius anymore. MENSA would kick them out.

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #84 of 1,364
Thanks for overview Fred looking forward to the DSD playback 256. This with flac gapless support and I'm in like flint. Perhaps put a foam under the volume control to make if stiffer.

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #85 of 1,364
  The Walnut also makes electrical noise when it's turned off and you plug headphones in, it doesn't make sense and actually sounds like a very bad thing. The charging light isn't redundant, it's to let you know when it's done, but the blinking light needs to be cut off. I don't know who the genius was that put that one the final design... who isn't a genius anymore. MENSA would kick them out.

Reminds me of turning off 70's stereos. I might be wrong (they tell it has been known to happen but I've never noticed) but I believe it is just a partial discharge of the caps. Nothing to be alarmed about. This is a relatively simple design which is what I like about it.

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #86 of 1,364

I like all the little design quirks and same genius gave us a powerful player that can be used as an amp and blows away anything in a similar price range so that's my kind of genius tbh :wink:

Apr 20, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #87 of 1,364
  Reminds me of turning off 70's stereos. I might be wrong (they tell it has been known to happen but I've never noticed) but I believe it is just a partial discharge of the caps. Nothing to be alarmed about. This is a relatively simple design which is what I like about it.

If it is just a partial discharge, do you think it would damage the headphone drivers?

er4b, Docomo earbud, Blox B320, Yinman 600ohm earbud...
I got so excited and felt guilty(!) for settling with something that cost me so little, I ordered two more earphones...

How does it sound with higher impedance headphones (Yinman 600 ohm)? I'd like to use this with my P1 but I'm not sure if it has the driving power...

Apr 20, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #88 of 1,364

If it is just a partial discharge, do you think it would damage the headphone drivers?

Never say never but I doubt it. I've had no issue, but then again I don't consider it to be loud. Search out some vintage equipment and see how loud a pop you can make.

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #89 of 1,364

lol, zishan has a great sense of humor. I asked him if there is any way to make the indication light stop glittering, he said: flip it over. :joy:

Hahaha, that's hilarious ☺.. That's what i did actually on walnut v2.

Back to Z1, folder support, good dac, large memory support for me it is impressive for the price... So now it priced at 27... Hmmm interesting...

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #90 of 1,364
27 where?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back