NEW ZEALANDERS where are we all??
Mar 19, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #16 of 49
Just to show that you're not alone there are some of us here even further south than Christchurch.

I have a couple of friends, not Headfi members, also running good quality setups...one a Mapletree amp, Grado SR325 and AKG701 and the other a Ray Samuels Raptor with Grado GS1000 and Stax SR007 with 007TA amp.

Go back a few years and various NZ meets have been proposed but lack of numbers and travel constraints seem to have put paid to that.

The only brands you'll find with ease in HiFi shops are AKG and Sennheiser.
Many places that used to carry Grados have dropped them due to possible problems with the importer and cheaper phones being offered on Trade Me.
I believe some guitar shops may still carry or have access to Beyer phones.

If you want Audio Technica phones and are willing to take a punt without audition them I can recommend Audio Cubes having purchased 4 pr of ATs from them without problem.

If you do find a shop with phones you can audition make sure that they use a good source and if possible a headphone amp although going by my experiences in NZ HiFi shops you might be lucky on that score.

PS. Can I have a hearty round of appluse for my name sake and avatar, Henry the Tuatara captured on film getting it on with a lady friend at the ripe old age of 110. Go Henry, raising the bar for us all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #17 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have posted on Head-Fi whilst in Christchurch...

Damn impressive souvlaki in Christchurch - it's the one thing I miss (as well as Movenpick Ice Cream...)

Impressive souvlaki? Where?

Movenpick is good, but Kalinchi Gold is better, Kapiti is better still and penguino's icecream in Nelson is on top.

Mar 19, 2008 at 9:27 AM Post #18 of 49
Not really an active member (that could be read wrong
eek.gif
) but definitely a lurker from Palmy North. Sometimes I brave wearing my Grado's outside
smily_headphones1.gif
but mostly i haven't found alot of people here appreciate good phones. Seem to be able to get alot of AKG locally too.

Cheers

P.S Some pretty impressive souvlaki here too....

Mar 19, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #19 of 49
seen a few beyers and senns around in the stores but the prices are ridiculous, well worth that wait and a few extra notes in your wallet to purchase overseas.

seems like i could well get shot for this with all the interest but what is 'souvlaki'.
movenpick on the other hand is something that would be sorely missed if i lived elsewhere
rolleyes.gif

all down south it looks like, but thats not a half bad setup your mates seem to have tuatara (how authentic)
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #20 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by XOtago /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes I brave wearing my Grado's outside
smily_headphones1.gif
but mostly i haven't found alot of people here appreciate good phones.

looks to be that way, but really do a decent pair of phones belong outside? Many people can be seen with the mainstream set of 555's or 595's roaming the streets, just makes you wonder what the have lying in wait at home
rolleyes.gif

Mar 19, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #21 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many people can be seen with the mainstream set of 555's or 595's roaming the streets, just makes you wonder what the have lying in wait at home
rolleyes.gif

Going by what turns up on TM from time to time there are some top quality phones in Godzone.
There was a pair of AKG1000s a couple of months back, some RS1s, lots of HD650s and a pair of HE60 with amp.
My friend with the Stax system also had some At L3000s at one time and these may still be floating around somewhere.

I see there's a pr of 701s on TM right now, started at a fairly low reserve too.
The K1000s are also relisted,priced too high for local sale I feel.

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #22 of 49
There is too, those are some cheap 701's! Yea there has been a fair few good phones on tm, k1000's and senns gold ed. and a few dealers trying to break into the nz market, but $725nz for some 650's :s bit over the top imo.

Mar 19, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #23 of 49
Quote:

There is too, those are some cheap 701's! Yea there has been a fair few good phones on tm, k1000's and senns gold ed. and a few dealers trying to break into the nz market, but $725nz for some 650's :s bit over the top imo.

I sold my 701s on TM June last year for NZ$420 which was about what I paid for them ex USA new. I'll be interested to see how high the current listing goes.
The K1000 have closed without a bid again, listed 5 times at the same price and no takers. Works out at about US$1600, dont know how that equates to current overseas prices.
As for the Senn golds, I think the seller is dreaming. They've also been listed 5 times with no bids.

I have seen the odd pair of HD650s for sale 2nd hand around the NZ$300 which would be good buying.
There's been some good phones turn up on Audioenz for sale forum including some Grado325s and GS1000s at reasonable prices, the later about $700 under NZ recommended retail.
AudioEnz Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #25 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Impressive souvlaki? Where?

The Greek Recipe or Dimitries (spelling might be a bit off there).

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Movenpick is good, but Kalinchi Gold is better, Kapiti is better still and penguino's icecream in Nelson is on top.

Kapiti is damn good - had some last time I was over (at Christmas). Australia is sadly lagging behind on quality ice cream.

The other place I highly recommend to eat in Christchurch is Indochine. Stunning food and a great range of delicious cocktails/drinks. I don't think I would journey back to NZ without going back for a meal at least once...

Mar 20, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #28 of 49
Quote:

Huzzah our second point for the North Island
redface.gif

I think the score is 3 NI, wellington,Akland,Plmston N
2 SI- Chch and Invercargill.

Meagre pickings really. I'm sure there are more members who like myself rarely venture down to the members lounge.

Mar 20, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #29 of 49
Mar 20, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah I miss that guy. I wonder what he's doing these days...

I think that Carl upgraded to real life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back