2021-03-16| Xiaomi Redmi AirDots 3 $42.99
Nov 27, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #796 of 2,161
this product has interesting ad copy, I'll give it that:
● The ergonomic design, nipple grade silicone ear muffs
● Ear and tailpipe connection with oblique angle design, comfortable and easy to wear
● A perfect gift for yourself or friend
it would have to be a pretty close friend for me to give them something with and ear AND tailpipe connections...just sayin'...

Nov 27, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #798 of 2,161
Really? I don't know anything about shipping, but how are sellers able to offer free shipping?

To be honest though, I just want an excuse to get the red one because the black one was the only one on sale a couple of days ago so I could only go for that. I like the red color and not the black that much. Now that the red one is available and cheaper I want to get that. :grin:

The way I understand it, shipping OUT of China is subsidized heavily by the Chinese govt (and possibly even export shipping is somehow completely paid for by the Chinese govt). Likewise, it's my understanding that there's some sort of hefty tariff imposed on products coming INTO China.

Where in the chain that "tariff" is imposed, and how it is done so is unknown to me. It may be in the form of taxes built into fixed shipping costs (ie shipping goods FROM the US TO China for example). When you buy fuel in the US (gasoline, diesel, kerosene, etc), all of the govt taxes and fees are already "built into" the cost. So if you go to your local US post office and want to ship something TO China, it's likely there's other stuff "built into" the shipping price than just transportation/fuel/handling costs.

This "cheap OUT, expensive IN" reality is demonstrated in the ridiculous shipping costs TO China if you've ever checked. For example, if I buy a computer mouse for $3usd, that price INCLUDES shipping from China to the US. Sure, manufacturing costs in China are ridiculously cheap, so let's say the COST of the mouse is $0.50usd, there's $0.50usd profit, and $2usd packaging and shipping costs. If that $3 mouse turns out to be defective, it will cost me approximately $25-$30 dollars to ship it BACK to China using the cheapest method offered by the US Post Office (despite being ridiculously lightweight and small).

Basically the Chinese govt wants to keep products flowing OUT of China, because it benefits the Chinese GDP (in other words, to keep the wheels of industry in motion). But in general they want to discourage products importing INTO China.

This is generally known as a "protectionism" policy. Just about every country with a large economy does it. The US does it this with the import of pick-up trucks. It's called the "Chicken Tax" (yes I know you're thinking "what on earth do chickens have to do with pick-up trucks haha), but it's very interesting reading if you Google "Chicken Tax" sometime.

Anyways, I'm not exactly sure all of the nitty gritty behind-the-scene nuts and bolts of the Chinese import shipping stuff, but it's very much politically-driven. I am also 100% unsure if there is some sort of tax or import/customs "duty" that is also beared by the Chinese recipient of packages (ie the Chinese seller in the case of returning defective goods). I think there must be some sort of (let's call it) "discouragement" on the part of the Chinese govt (again, to discourage products flowing into China), because very often Chinese sellers REFUSE product returns when delivery is attempted (even if they agreed with you to have you "send the defective item back")

That's why more often that not sellers just refund your money and/or just ship you a replacement when there's defective products involved.

Be aware this is just what I've read coupled with what I've personally experienced/gathered in 20 years in dealings with Chinese and Taiwanese products (including some limited import/export business years ago). I could be mistaken on some of the "behind the scenes" reasons and goings on because I don't live in China nor run a business in China. Also be aware that I'm talking about "Chinese sellers" generically, NOT about Gearbest in particular. Gearbest has excellent return policies and customer service in general (that does't mean you don't have to pay shipping back to them for defective or returned products).

If someone who is more informed than me (such as a Chinese business owner, an expert in Chinese economics, importer/exporter, or someone living in China that understand how all of this works), I'd love to hear a more accurate explanation.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #799 of 2,161
● Ear and tailpipe connection with oblique angle design, comfortable and easy to wear
it would have to be a pretty close friend for me to give them something with and ear AND tailpipe connections...just sayin'...

Who doesn't like a nice pair of nipple muffs? haha

Nov 27, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #800 of 2,161
Who doesn't like a nice pair of nipple muffs? haha
especially ergonomically designed ones...I really hate a poorly executed nipple muff!

Nov 27, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #801 of 2,161
got the red zs6, nice to see extended list of countries for the first and cheapest deal on red ones. thanks! now i have the trio, and waiting for the grey one..

I haven't seen any sellers dealing in the grey ZS6 (yet). Only a stock photo or 2.

Nov 27, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #802 of 2,161
especially ergonomically designed ones...I really hate a poorly executed nipple muff!

You're totally right; I hate that too. Especially when it's going in your tailpipe.

Nov 27, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #803 of 2,161
You're totally right; I hate that too. Especially when it's going in your tailpipe.
yeah, about THAT part....it makes me feel like maybe I DON'T understand BA driver technology as well as I thought I did??

Nov 27, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #804 of 2,161
got the red zs6, nice to see extended list of countries for the first and cheapest deal on red ones. thanks! now i have the trio, and waiting for the grey one..

Serious question, I see a lot of people buy multiples of the same IEMs and I vaguely understood why. I presume its to collect the different colors right, but there is no practical benefit to it?

Nov 27, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #805 of 2,161
The way I understand it, shipping OUT of China is subsidized heavily by the Chinese govt (and possibly even export shipping is somehow completely paid for by the Chinese govt). Likewise, it's my understanding that there's some sort of hefty tariff imposed on products coming INTO China.

Where in the chain that "tariff" is imposed, and how it is done so is unknown to me. It may be in the form of taxes built into fixed shipping costs (ie shipping goods FROM the US TO China for example). When you buy fuel in the US (gasoline, diesel, kerosene, etc), all of the govt taxes and fees are already "built into" the cost. So if you go to your local US post office and want to ship something TO China, it's likely there's other stuff "built into" the shipping price than just transportation/fuel/handling costs.

This "cheap OUT, expensive IN" reality is demonstrated in the ridiculous shipping costs TO China if you've ever checked. For example, if I buy a computer mouse for $3usd, that price INCLUDES shipping from China to the US. Sure, manufacturing costs in China are ridiculously cheap, so let's say the COST of the mouse is $0.50usd, there's $0.50usd profit, and $2usd packaging and shipping costs. If that $3 mouse turns out to be defective, it will cost me approximately $25-$30 dollars to ship it BACK to China using the cheapest method offered by the US Post Office (despite being ridiculously lightweight and small).

Basically the Chinese govt wants to keep products flowing OUT of China, because it benefits the Chinese GDP (in other words, to keep the wheels of industry in motion). But in general they want to discourage products importing INTO China.

This is generally known as a "protectionism" policy. Just about every country with a large economy does it. The US does it this with the import of pick-up trucks. It's called the "Chicken Tax" (yes I know you're thinking "what on earth do chickens have to do with pick-up trucks haha), but it's very interesting reading if you Google "Chicken Tax" sometime.

Anyways, I'm not exactly sure all of the nitty gritty behind-the-scene nuts and bolts of the Chinese import shipping stuff, but it's very much politically-driven. I am also 100% unsure if there is some sort of tax or import/customs "duty" that is also beared by the Chinese recipient of packages (ie the Chinese seller in the case of returning defective goods). I think there must be some sort of (let's call it) "discouragement" on the part of the Chinese govt (again, to discourage products flowing into China), because very often Chinese sellers REFUSE product returns when delivery is attempted (even if they agreed with you to have you "send the defective item back")

That's why more often that not sellers just refund your money and/or just ship you a replacement when there's defective products involved.

Be aware this is just what I've read coupled with what I've personally experienced/gathered in 20 years in dealings with Chinese and Taiwanese products (including some limited import/export business years ago). I could be mistaken on some of the "behind the scenes" reasons and goings on because I don't live in China nor run a business in China. Also be aware that I'm talking about "Chinese sellers" generically, NOT about Gearbest in particular. Gearbest has excellent return policies and customer service in general (that does't mean you don't have to pay shipping back to them for defective or returned products).

If someone who is more informed than me (such as a Chinese business owner, an expert in Chinese economics, importer/exporter, or someone living in China that understand how all of this works), I'd love to hear a more accurate explanation.

That was a very interesting read and it intuitively makes sense to me.

Thanks for taking the time out of your day in writing this MLA formatted essay on economics. :grin:

Nov 27, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #806 of 2,161
Serious question, I see a lot of people buy multiples of the same IEMs and I vaguely understood why. I presume its to collect the different colors right, but there is no practical benefit to it?

I do it for a number of different reasons (in order of importance):
  1. To have a 'backup pair' in case the main pair breaks. I can also raid the broken pair for spare parts (depending on what failed). This is important with KZs because after a period of time they are no longer manufactured and therefore are gone forever (ANV, HDS2, ZS5 v1, ATE gen1/2/3/4, ZS1 v1, ZN1 non-mini, etc etc).
  2. To have another "stock" pair to A/B when modding. This way, I can directly, quickly, and accurately compare how the mods I'm doing are tweaking the stock sound because I have both at my disposal. I don't have to rely on audio memory, which is an extremely flawed and unreliable method to use.
  3. To have a pair of something I really like in multiple places, for example 1 I can leave at home, the other I can leave on my desk at work (or 1 to leave in my gym bag or whatever).
  4. To offset the purchase price. For example, I bought the ZS6 on preorder for let's say $40. Then I recently bought an additional pair for $20. That averages out to a per-unit cost of $30 (in other words, the cheaper pair offset the cost of the more expensive pair).
  5. To see if there are any difference between sets (which there sometimes are, due to QC and other issues). One Japanese HFer said he bought something like (6) sets of ZS6 to make sure there were no sound differences between them (there were). This isn't just a KZ phenomenon - it happens with other/all manufacturers (the Fidelio X2, a flagship $350 Philips full-size headphone, for example). X2 owners would buy 2-3 pairs from Amazon, only to find out there were noticeable sound differences between all 3. They would just keep the pair they liked best and ship back the other one(s) they didn't like.
  6. As you mentioned - to collect different colors for example.
  7. For resale - if the street price of an IEM is say $40, and you can buy more at $20 and resell it for $40, then you just made yourself $20 profit. Unfortunately, resellers are often who is snapping up all of the stuff FROM this Gearbest thread (to resell in their ebay or Aliexpress store), because often times they can BUY items from Gearbest CHEAPER than they can get the through their "official" wholesale channels! You even see George sometimes say when he posts coupon codes that a particular item is priced BELOW cost! If you are a small reseller, that is a huge buying opportunity (because Gearbest is a LARGE reseller and I'm sure gets low wholesale prices, so when they are selling a widget for below their cost that's a big deal).

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #807 of 2,161
My theory on shipping is Gear Best sells so much to US that many other merchants just tag along the same shipping container to US, thus avoiding redundant shipping conainers.
Whereas in the US like LA for instance everybody has to drive in their own car, hence a separate shipping container for every item shipped back.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #808 of 2,161
My theory on shipping is Gear Best sells so much to US that many other merchants just tag along the same shipping container to US, thus avoiding redundant shipping conainers.
Whereas in the US like LA for instance everybody has to drive in their own car, hence a separate shipping container for every item shipped back.

Alibaba/Aliexpress is 200xs bigger than Gearbest. And the shipping story is basically the same with Alibaba/Aliexpress j(ust like Gearbest). Cheap out (of China to US), expensive in (to China from US).

Also, don't forget, no one is shipping empty shipping containers BACK to China. A container ship, on average, uses 1 MILLION gallons of fuel to get between the US and China ONE WAY. If a container ship leaves China bound for the US with 2500 full containers on it, it leaves the US bound for China with ~2500 full containers on it.

Let's say, in theory, it costs $40,000usd for a cargo ship to be loaded with 2500 containers at China port A, travel f/port A--> USA port B, and unload the 2500 containers at USA port B. Wouldn't it make logical sense that it should cost roughly the same $40,000usd to do the exact same thing but only in reverse (assuming the gross weight and reverse route taken is identical as the previous trip)? But it doesn't. It costs significantly more to go the other way. The reason? Import restrictions/trade embragos/duties/taxes/customs BS due to Protectionism policies.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #809 of 2,161

Noted, thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back