New Xin Reference Amp by Dr. Xin !!!
Jun 5, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #391 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by clc220 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this new board makes is beta #? ?

It does not matter...since Dr. Xin will not send any of the References out until he has this one complete.

He is only sending these betas to his closest reviewers, those who have worked with him for many months/years on op-amp selections and things.

We have those guys to thank for giving us a preview of what normally is handled very quietly under Non-disclosure agreements.

Jun 6, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #392 of 559
I heard today what may be the final board and although the sound of the Reference I have been using and with over 400 hours of signal coursing through it, I have to give it to Xin that the version I listened to has something very special. It also has more current capability. I just got a pair of the Equation RP-21 (remarable at the price or double), which aren't even broken in and they sounded very good driven by the newest version. The battery life is also more than 200 hours! Even at 200 hours though, I would be more than happy.

Jun 6, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #393 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard today what may be the final board and although the sound of the Reference I have been using and with over 400 hours of signal coursing through it, I have to give it to Xin that the version I listened to has something very special. It also has more current capability. I just got a pair of the Equation RP-21 (remarable at the price or double), which aren't even broken in and they sounded very good driven by the newest version. The battery life is also more than 200 hours! Even at 200 hours though, I would be more than happy.

15,000 uF or 12,000 uF main cap?

Jun 6, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #395 of 559
It has the 12,000 uF FC cap.

Beta version? I would guess 4 or 5. Xin is working very hard to get people the best sound he can not for sales sake, but for listening enjoyment.

Jun 6, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #396 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ja, I love cursing in French, in the English language, it's like wiping ya a.s.s with silk!
wink.gif

Well the English language is all about refinement. Right? ;^)

I will never look at silk the same, thanks.

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #398 of 559
can't wait to see what the final ref amp will shape up to be! i also got one of the original ref amp when it first came out. i asked dr xin about upgraded board and he said he'll send one to me when the ref amp is finalized.

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #399 of 559
I have listened again to the two versions of the Reference Amps I have for testing purposes. One has about 150 hours of burn in and the second has about 90 hours of burn in.

The huge cap does make for an interesting evolution of the amps. The overall character changes quite drastically and it is in cycles. I mean one day the highs are predominat and 24 to 48 hours later the highs are subdue, same with the bass. However the amplitude of the cycle peaks and valeys is reduced as the burn in progreses.

In my limited experience with large caps in portable amps it seems that large caps as used in the Reference behave in such a cyclic nature and take a long time to settle. My experience is that a minimun of 400 hours has been needed, although a particular amp took about 800 hours to finally stop changing.

In my opinion this is good in that it allows the user to appreciate and experience the evolution of the amp as well as an appreciation for the design. For someone like me that at times want inmediate satisfaction this amp (and others with large caps) helps in making me appreciate the "ride" and make me more patient. :)

The sound of the amp as it matures (burns in) is continually shaping the output to one which is more mellow yet it retains a sense of detail and clarity that is closer to a home amp than a portable amp. The bass has a great impact w/o being bloated nor the only thing you hear. To me this last statement is a credit to the design, how many times we listen to am amp that has great bass but that is the only thing that you hear because it overpowers the rest of the frequencies? that is not the case with the Reference Amp. You hear tight and impactful bass while at the same time the clarity and detail of the mids and highs are in the correct proportion as the original recording.

I have great hope that this amp will become a superb addition to most (if not all) individuals who get one and who can appreciate the evolution of the amp over its prolonged burn in period. The rewards are more than worth it. I should mention that all the wonderful and superb sound comes in at a fantastic price with a prolonged battery life, a combination that in my opinion other amps can not achieve. Yes some amps have the same fantastic sound (Supermicro IV), others the fantastic batery life (Tomahawk), and yet others an increadible small size (Supermicro IV) but only the Reference Amp combines all of these qualities in one amp.

As a final coment I would like to address the volume pot. I do not where Dr. Xin found it but I love it. I mean I can have plenty of control with it while listening to IEMs (Shure E500 or V-Moda) or my higher impedence cans (Beyer DT990 in 250 ohms). Other amps resort to a gain switch that although they work they add complexity, cost, and yes noise.

Anyways I hope the above provides a sense of what this amp can do and I hope to provide more input as it matures (reaches the 400 hour mark). Thanks for your time in reading such a long post.

Jun 7, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #402 of 559
What matters is the time on with some type of signal running through it. I leave a radio playing normally with white noise when I am not listening as I want to know the changes but if I waited for just listening time the burn in would take too long.

Jun 7, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #403 of 559
duplicate post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back