New Xin Reference Amp by Dr. Xin !!!
Jun 8, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #407 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by dle4e_2005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did anyone did a comparison between how the Er4s would sound with the Xin Supermicro and the Xin Reference?

Not yet. That's what I've been waiting for all this time!
etysmile.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #408 of 559
anyone care to tell me how to order one??? Went onto the Xin website, asked the question about where and how to order and, as yet, no response. So how y'all oredering these???

Jun 8, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #409 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone care to tell me how to order one??? Went onto the Xin website, asked the question about where and how to order and, as yet, no response. So how y'all oredering these???

It's not available to the public yet. Dr. Xin sent out a few of his beta amps to a selected group of individuals that he has good contact with.

Jun 8, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #410 of 559
Raphael: HUH??? Could've sworn somewhere in these 21pages I saw people placing advanced orders for them. Yeah, I see on his page the July availability date but thought people were queuing already for them

Jun 8, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #411 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Raphael: HUH??? Could've sworn somewhere in these 21pages I saw people placing advanced orders for them. Yeah, I see on his page the July availability date but thought people were queuing already for them

They are only able to do this by requesting a change to an existing order. Dr. Xin's order page for the reference is not available at this time. I have read where some have requested that the Reference be added to their existing order as well. You can email him or use his ready reply system and ask him directly to add you to his que but I don't know if this works. I did this myself since I don't have an existing order and don't desire to place a phony one just to ask to change it.

Jun 8, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #412 of 559
I did the same thing. I had a SuperMicro IV on order, but I asked Dr. Xin to hold on shipping it till I find a comparison between the the two amps with ER-4S.

Jun 8, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #413 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raphael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not available to the public yet. Dr. Xin sent out a few of his beta amps to a selected group of individuals that he has good contact with.

I got one...but I'm not in good contact with him. I've only gotten a few emails from him. I just asked to add it to my order instead of cancelling my original order and replacing it with the Ref Ed.

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #414 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got one...but I'm not in good contact with him. I've only gotten a few emails from him. I just asked to add it to my order instead of cancelling my original order and replacing it with the Ref Ed.

Ah, well that's a perfect chance to start building relations then
wink.gif
I'm absolutely loving your 60GB iPod btw.

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #415 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, unless there is some other chip out there that uses BKA on the package (I am not aware of any), it's the AD8615 as I specified in the previous post.

I'd personally rather have a Supermini. The ability to custom configure the amp I think is valuable, and it's also truly portable. If you're just in need of something transportable, there are transportable solutions out there that are probably a better choice (e.g. small desktop amps).

xin mention all chips are full fet type.. that rule out 8615.. 8615 is cmos type..

Jun 10, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #416 of 559
Vorlon,
I got word of the portable tube millet a while back and the devil on my shoulder has been whispering its name in my ear every now and then.

You said it is your favorite portable amp...

would you mind commenting on how it compares to the reference and micro 4?

Jun 10, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #417 of 559
I can't comment on the reference yet because I haven't listened to one with the latest board, so I have to reserve comment. The micro has a very big smooth tube-like sound that is very engaging. The millett is very smooth and captures the ambiance of the recordings unlike any amp I have ever had. It is particularly effective on classical and jazz recrordings, you feel like you are right in the room, very natural. So, that is why I like it so much, you can really get lost in the music with it.

Jun 10, 2007 at 10:33 AM Post #418 of 559
Vorlon, what is your favourite IEM? And what do you like best with the Millet Portable?

Jun 10, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #419 of 559
Right now my favorite is the Triple-Fi and it sounds great with the Millett. Excellent bass, beautiful smooth mids, and extended treble.

Jun 10, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #420 of 559
I have over 500 hours on one of the References and the sound couldn't be much more open or dynamic. The dynamics at times startle me. The transition from quiet to loud passages is natural and not in any way compressed nor is there a distortion at higher volumes. The detail is greater than I remember hearing with other amps, to the point that I hear tape noise on some recordings as if I was listening to a master tape with a very high resolution system. This does not give an etched sound but just one that does not let anything pass.

I have also upgraded my power supply for my Monica II dac so this has helped to elicit any sound that is coming from my source.

I would like to add that on my visit with Xin and comparing sounds from different amps, I realized he has very good hearing. This might or might not be assumed but he could almost instantly hear things I had to listen for and could hear details on the recording, such as background noise from the recording that I had not so easily noticed and some of these I have heard over 100 times. With such hearing no wonder he keeps driving for something better and better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back