New! WNA MKll Head-amp kit.
May 29, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #436 of 764
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
[...]In the meantime I'm prepared to take the risk re: the 10M/ trimpot scenario......... sounding awesome and unlikely to fail "ever" let alone in "30-40" years.

i'll follow you, mate... some new mundorf 4,7µf polyprop caps (they were thought as output caps for the dddac...
lambda.gif
) should arrive early this week, all the other stuff is in the box...
wink.gif

May 29, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #437 of 764
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrokenEnglish
i'll follow you, mate... some new mundorf 4,7µf polyprop caps (they were thought as output caps for the dddac...
lambda.gif
) should arrive early this week, all the other stuff is in the box...
wink.gif

As long as your connections are mechanically sound you'll be good for life mate. <why are people frightened to remove the output caps???> arm yourself with a 10M resistor and a half decent (bournes) 100K trimpot and you'll never look back.........

Mike.

May 30, 2005 at 11:46 AM Post #438 of 764
I think I'm keeping track here. Mike, is your current set-up as follows: LM6171, input cap's but no output cap's. trim pot offset adjustment, original QC settings, 330k removed?

May 30, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #440 of 764
Quote:

Originally Posted by biovizier
Can you get away with removing input AND output caps if you use ad843 with a trim pot? what about the qc and 330?

there should be no need to adjust zero-offset via trimpot with the ad843, biovizier. mike tested them without in- and output caps.

May 30, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #441 of 764
Great - any idea of what the residual offset remaining and the drift were? Hopefully I can take the caps out of my phono too and replace LM6171 with ad843 and trimpots if they are low enough.

May 30, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #442 of 764
again.. there should be no need for the 100k trimpot or the 10m resistor with ad843 as with every other "usual" opamp. dc-offset should capless stay < 15mV. if you insist, i'll test it in the mkI at the end of the week.

May 30, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #443 of 764
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alick
I think I'm keeping track here. Mike, is your current set-up as follows: LM6171, input cap's but no output cap's. trim pot offset adjustment, original QC settings, 330k removed?

Hi Alick,

Yes, It's as you describe I'll up the QC as soon as I get hold of some heatsinks..... trying it without the 330K for a bit.

Mike.

May 30, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #445 of 764
i don't know, what you're trying to do with your phono-stage, biovizier, but the trimpot-solution dr. white suggested to limit the dc-offset of the lm6171 IMO is not applicable to limit the offset of every other opamp with much smaller bandwidth (like the ad843). but maybe we're simply speaking of different things. good luck to you!

May 30, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #447 of 764
Quote:

Great - any idea of what the residual offset remaining and the drift were? Hopefully I can take the caps out of my phono too and replace LM6171 with ad843 and trimpots if they are low enough.

Hi Nick,

No need for trimpots, output caps or input caps with the AD-843. The offset is very low (mine measured 0.08mV and 0.1mV) so you can plug them in naked and they should be fine.

You're possibly best trying the headamp with the LM6171 for starters and then experimenting with other opamps after you get used to the LM6171 sound. After much beating about the bush with caps in, caps out, trimpot in, trimpot out, 330K in, 330K out etc. I must confess the best combo (to my ears) has to be LM6171 with input cap, no 330K (in your case you may however prefer it with 330K as it smooths the sound out a touch) no output caps and 10M and trimpot in place.

This opamp rolling can be fun but after a while it gets pretty tedious continuously replacing resistors and caps and I always seem to find myself back where I started with the LM6171 on board which kinda suggests to me that it is the best overall opamp for the WNA...... I know I seem contradictory one day saying LM6171 the next day praising the AD-843 only to go back to the LM6171 a few days later but, as you know, It's not straightforward evaluating "sound"... one day you could be in the mood for music and even the ****tiest of opamp could sound out of this world.... the next day you may not be "tuned in" and the best op amp could sound like mud to your ears.... there are so many variables to contend with but I find the weakest link in the chain to be the human mind... you really have to be in the mood for music to truly get into it and feel it washing over you and those instances are pretty few and far between and It's not possible to condition your mind to enjoy music It's something that happens naturally.

Sometimes you have a "magical moment" when listening to music where the hairs on the back of your neck stand out and you really are at one and part of the event.... that's got nothing to do with the equipment that's all down to the state of mind you're in when you're listening..... try listening to music standing up with a toothache, it sounds *****..... find yourself in a dimly lit room, totally relaxed with you eyes closed and sometimes the music is so palpable you think you're on stage with your favourite band and can walk about on that stage and around the musicians homing in on each individual element........ when you get a moment like that you expect it to sound like that every time you listen to it but it doesn't work that way.. you have to be in the right surroundings and in the right mood...... It doesn't matter what equipment you have, if you're not conditioned to receive music no amount of opamp rolling or upgrades will make it sound good.

I've tried placebo mood conditioners like rainbow foil, purple LED's, Interconnects, plasma balls, ambient lighting etc. and I have also tried mind altering drugs such as alcohol etc. but none of these will ever come close to a totally natural musical experience / magic moment..... placebo used to get my creative sub conscience salivating and I'd buy a piece of equipment after firstly reading a what Hi-Fi write up and then listening to it in my local Hi-Fi dealers listening room.... I'd get it home and be amazed by the sound (for about 48 hours) only to be unsatisfied with the sound after a couple of days...... those days are long gone and I learn't quite some time ago that the most important part of the chain (or the weak link) was myself..... Music will not be magical unless you're in the state of mind to totally relax and get into it and you can't condition yourself into that state of mind.

I've had about 30 magical moments with the WNA, a few of them with the LM6171, a few with the AD-843 and a few with the AD-8605. They were all pretty intense moments but the intensity was always "more" with the LM6171 and I found myself able to explore the tapestry and structure better with the LM6171...... this is when I really am able to sort the wheat out from the chaff....... when I experience an intense magical moment I can not only explore every aspect of the sound but I can also visualize and paint a colourful tapestry to accompany the music... the music quite literally acts as a mind altering drug.

As I say, these moments are few and far between and for everyday listening the LM6171 / AD8065 / AD843 will do the job but whenever you find yourself at one with the music you really do want to be on the business end of the LM6171..... It really stands out when you're naturally conditioned to receive.

Mike.

May 30, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #448 of 764
Quote:

Dont worry - I will discuss with Dr white. Tried it with the ad811 in the phono before but the drift was too high to rely on the zeroing.

Conditioning or not the 811 sounds damned horrible
biggrin.gif
As Udo says the 10M and trimpot is only applicable to the LM6171..... you won't be able to roll other Opamps in with the 10M and T-pot fitted.

My trimpot has been in place about 50 hours now and the offset has remained bang on 0.00mV per channel and hasn't drifted at all...... even if it were to drift to say +/- 15mV I wouldn't be worried... there is no way you will "hear" +/-15mV.

I'm living in Scotland and the ambient temperature of the room the WNA resides in is about 20C at the moment but I will blow a hairdryer onto the LM6171 and measure the drift (if any) an increase in ambient temperature brings about...... You could get really obsessive measuring offset under all ambient operating conditions but at 20C it doesn't drift at all....

I leave my WNA powered up all the time without a lid on so will monitor the offset over the next couple of months...... the past 50 hours suggests that drift is not an issue with the LM6171 and I didn't expect it to stay at 0.00mV per channel........ not even .01mV of drift! awesome.

Mike.

May 30, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #449 of 764
Quote:

Dont worry - I will discuss with Dr white. Tried it with the ad811 in the phono before but the drift was too high to rely on the zeroing.

Nick,

Have you got your head amp yet??? Seems ages mate
confused.gif

Mike.

May 30, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #450 of 764
thanks - Dr white is keeping the LM6171 in the headamp for now. I am going to compare ad843 and lm6171 in the phono and then make my decision wether or not the ad843 should be subbed into the headamp and pre.

Did you try the ad843 without both sets of caps and still preferred the lm6171 with one set of caps is that correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back