New WESTONE W-SERIES
Oct 25, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #1,111 of 1,383
  Sorry but I disagree with Westone's claim that the crack on the W60 is "normal as intended by design"

1) In your photo you can clearly see where the proper shell joint runs straight, as highlighted in green, and when I check my own W60 I can also see a clear, but sealed, joint which runs straight

2) Even if it were true that the shell joint were designed to run at an angle, as highlighted in red, I don't believe that the joint should crack and open up like it has in your picture

If Westone claim that this is normal, and intended, it seems like a transparent lie in order to excuse sub-par build quality.

Can you post a picture of your W60 shell?  In my picture, the red line (which you added) is an angled overlap of the shell joint.  That's how it was intended by design and how I have seen it in W40, W50, and W60.  I'm not quite sure why you suggesting that I have a cracked shell?  Cracked shell will result in a sound leakage, trust me I had one with UMPro50 so have first hand experience with it.  And if it's cracked around connector socket - you will rip it out when pulling on the cable.

I understand this design might not be your cup of tea, but calling manufacturer a liar because in your opinion their design should be done differently - don't you think its going a bit too far, bud?
biggrin.gif

Perhaps they heard enough of people complaining about that shell joint (it's confusing for sure), so they changed it to make it straight forward in W80?

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #1,112 of 1,383
Sorry, I've just Googled a photo of the W50 and W60 and I can see the shell joint as you describe, in addition to a second joint that runs straight.

I don't have a camera that will take a decent close up photo, but my W60 does not have the angled joint (?!!?!??!?)

I apologise for contradicting you.

Oct 25, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #1,113 of 1,383
I bought my W40 very soon after release. Sent photos and at first, Westone support said take back to dealer for replacement. But before I could, they reached the proper people who confirmed it was the design. Many on here all confirmed the same offset lines as Twister says.

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #1,114 of 1,383
Thanks trying to help guys; I'll look again at mine when i get home.

However, my impression the other day was that the "crack” on the the right shell was more severe than on the left, which suggests it isn't design. I guess the cutting in and out isn't by design either so even if they try to tell me the crack is by design then I still have a faulty IEM.

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #1,115 of 1,383
Thanks trying to help guys; I'll look again at mine when i get home.

However, my impression the other day was that the "crack” on the the right shell was more severe than on the left, which suggests it isn't design. I guess the cutting in and out isn't by design either so even if they try to tell me the crack is by design then I still have a faulty IEM.

Let's start with a picture first, and if you hit a brickwall with Westone support, ping me in private so I can talk to my contact in there.

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #1,116 of 1,383
Let's start with a picture first, and if you hit a brickwall with Westone support, ping me in private so I can talk to my contact in there.

WIll do. Thanks very much.

Nov 7, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #1,117 of 1,383

Quote:
  I tried removing the epic cable but the connector is still stuck inside. Anyone had this issue before? How should I remove it now? Thanks in advance.

So I got my replacement from Westone (took around a week shipped back to Toronto). 

I connected the Westone Bluetooth Cable and my first impressions of it is great. I am only using my iPhone 6S so I am not hearing much difference in quality from the Epic cable to the Bluetooth cable. By all means I am not an audiophile. The battery is good and the extra weight of the cable does not bother me. Bluetooth connection on iPhone 6S has been great; no interference/dropping and still works 10ft within the phone. My only gripe with the fitment is the lack of memory wire guide around the ear. Does anyone have a solution to this? Is there anything I can buy and put it around the wire to make it have memory guide around the ear?

Nov 7, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #1,118 of 1,383

Quote:
  I tried removing the epic cable but the connector is still stuck inside. Anyone had this issue before? How should I remove it now? Thanks in advance.

So I got my replacement from Westone (took around a week shipped back to Toronto). 

I connected the Westone Bluetooth Cable and my first impressions of it is great. I am only using my iPhone 6S so I am not hearing much difference in quality from the Epic cable to the Bluetooth cable. By all means I am not an audiophile. The battery is good and the extra weight of the cable does not bother me. Bluetooth connection on iPhone 6S has been great; no interference/dropping and still works 10ft within the phone. My only gripe with the fitment is the lack of memory wire guide around the ear. Does anyone have a solution to this? Is there anything I can buy and put it around the wire to make it have memory guide around the ear?

For a few bucks you can buy earhooks like these: http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=2190 but the are typically designed for a wire down fit, not wire behind your neck like in BT cable.  Maybe something like this could work? http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=2859

Nov 7, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #1,119 of 1,383
Dec 12, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #1,122 of 1,383
There is a Special Edition Westone 30 version on MassDrop now: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/westone-30-iem?referer=CGL458

Apparently, it's not W30, but a special edition with a different tuning.

"This version of the company’s Westone 30, previously found only in Japan, is now available to everyone looking for a truly engaging listening experience. Featuring three balanced armature drivers with an advanced three-way crossover, these IEMs are tuned a bit differently than the standard W30, with a bump in the bass frequencies."

Dec 12, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #1,123 of 1,383
  There is a Special Edition Westone 30 version on MassDrop now: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/westone-30-iem?referer=CGL458

Apparently, it's not W30, but a special edition with a different tuning.

"This version of the company’s Westone 30, previously found only in Japan, is now available to everyone looking for a truly engaging listening experience. Featuring three balanced armature drivers with an advanced three-way crossover, these IEMs are tuned a bit differently than the standard W30, with a bump in the bass frequencies."

Interesting, they seem to have the shells of the old W3 but with MMCX connectors.
Wondering what a "bump in the bass frequencies" means. A midbass bump would definitely be a downgrade from the standard W30.

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #1,125 of 1,383
Hi, can somebody who has received this massdrop W30 or the Japanese limited edition W30 compare vs the regular W30. or also compare the old W3? thanks

MD estimated ship date is Dec 30th (today), don't think anybody received one yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back