New WESTONE W-SERIES
Oct 24, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #1,096 of 1,383
Good news:) Westone honored my warranty and sent me a new cable. I am impressed with their service. 

On this occasion I would like to share a few impressions from comparing the replacement FiiO-RC-WT2 cable I've used with my W30 in the recent 3 months to the original Westone epic cable.

In short the original cable is definitely better in sound quality and comfort. It captures subtleties/details of the sound of W30 that the FiiO couldn't fully do. FiiO sometimes sounds a bit harsh and not as well-balanced. With FiiO cable my W30 sounds a bit too aggressive for me.

As for the comfort, Westone cable is pleasantly flexible - it feels gentle and nice around ears and it doesn't come off the ears like the stiffer FiiO cable sometimes does.
In general FiiO cable is very good too (and it's cheaper), but for me the original Westone epic cable is a must to be able to experience the full potential of W30's great sound and comfort.

Thanks Westone. I am staying with you.

Don't forget, fiio's cable also has a pretty bad microphonics.

Oct 24, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #1,098 of 1,383
I'd be curious as well...recently have gotten an HTC 10 phone, and have been enjoying pairing it via Bluetooth with my Peachtree DeepBlue2, makes a nice sound streaming music (haven't done A-B stuff). I'm currently taken with the W40, out of Pono balanced with Trinity cable and Star Fit tips (I think that's what they are, their version of foamies...). Sounding great!

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #1,102 of 1,383
What is the issue with comfort? Microphonic? Or just the weight?

I'm wanting the Bluetooth option for outdoor use (walking, yard work) with my W-30.

Sorry, I think I referred to another cable (MFI G2 cable) which was included in Westone W30 as an extra (phone) cable.
I've never heard the Bluetooth cable. Sorry for the confusion.

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #1,103 of 1,383

What is the issue with comfort? Microphonic? Or just the weight?

I'm wanting the Bluetooth option for outdoor use (walking, yard work) with my W-30.

The covering material is rubber-like and kind of 'catchy' to the skin (sorry can't really describe it properly in English), but it's not very pleasant or comfortable. It's also not as flexible as epic cable and there is some microphonics (although I don't remember well as I've used this cable maybe once or twice).
The construction of the cable does not allow it to sit steadily over the ears when moving. At least this is my experience. The sound quality is noticeably worse in comparison to the magnificent epic cable. I think there must be much better 3rd-party cables for your purpose. 

It has a special IPX4 water/sweat/dust resistance rating, not some cheap plasticy cable that will wear off or slide around your neck.  The part of the cable on the back is flat for a more comfortable fit around your neck, and the cable on the front is soft and round to go over your ear.  Actually, it's very comfortable.  Plus, it has a cable cinch on the back to tighten the cable so it stays tight if you wear IEMs over your ear and also works great for those with a cable down.  But hey, sounds like you just had a brief testing with initial impression.  I know, sometime you need more time to figure out the fit and the comfort.  I spent the whole month using it before starting to work on my review, first impression can go either way
biggrin.gif

Regarding sound quality, which IEM did you used with BT Cable for testing?  As I recently mentioned in W80 thread, I tested this BT cable with close to a dozen of different mmcx connector based IEMs (not just Westones, but many others - my full review is here), and tested it both with my Note 4 which has aptx and Fiio X7 which doesn't have aptx, and in both cases the sound difference between BT cable and Epic or other premium replacement cables was very subtle.  The only real difference was addition of a low level background hissing which is common with every other BT cable/dongle (people reporting AK XB10 to hiss a lot as well).

At some point, once I'm done with a current queue of reviews I'm working on, I will look into testing/comparing other BT cables.  I know Lear has one (but with a battery life of a few hours, not sure if it supports aptx, and I believe it uses inferior CSR chip), and FiiO is coming up with their own bt cable soon, which looks cool.  I'm sure there will be more budget releases, just like you'll find dozens of $20 bluetooth headphone models on amazon where they probably going to chop off earpieces and add some cheap mmcx or 2pin connectors.

In my honest opinion, the only real negative thing about BT cable is its price.  I wish it would be under $100, or maybe they can offer it at a discount bundled price with other Westone iem purchases.  AK offers XB10 free now with purchases of their flagship DAPs. If Westone is reading this thread, would be awesome to see a holiday bundle of W80 with a free BT cable
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #1,104 of 1,383

It has a special IPX4 water/sweat/dust resistance rating, not some cheap plasticy cable that will wear off or slide around your neck.  The part of the cable on the back is flat for a more comfortable fit around your neck, and the cable on the front is soft and round to go over your ear.  Actually, it's very comfortable.  Plus, it has a cable cinch on the back to tighten the cable so it stays tight if you wear IEMs over your ear and also works great for those with a cable down.  But hey, sounds like you just had a brief testing with initial impression.  I know, sometime you need more time to figure out the fit and the comfort.  I spent the whole month using it before starting to work on my review, first impression can go either way
biggrin.gif

Regarding sound quality, which IEM did you used with BT Cable for testing?  As I recently mentioned in W80 thread, I tested this BT cable with close to a dozen of different mmcx connector based IEMs (not just Westones, but many others - my full review is here), and tested it both with my Note 4 which has aptx and Fiio X7 which doesn't have aptx, and in both cases the sound difference between BT cable and Epic or other premium replacement cables was very subtle.  The only real difference was addition of a low level background hissing which is common with every other BT cable/dongle (people reporting AK XB10 to hiss a lot as well).

At some point, once I'm done with a current queue of reviews I'm working on, I will look into testing/comparing other BT cables.  I know Lear has one (but with a battery life of a few hours, not sure if it supports aptx, and I believe it uses inferior CSR chip), and FiiO is coming up with their own bt cable soon, which looks cool.  I'm sure there will be more budget releases, just like you'll find dozens of $20 bluetooth headphone models on amazon where they probably going to chop off earpieces and add some cheap mmcx or 2pin connectors.

In my honest opinion, the only real negative thing about BT cable is its price.  I wish it would be under $100, or maybe they can offer it at a discount bundled price with other Westone iem purchases.  AK offers XB10 free now with purchases of their flagship DAPs. If Westone is reading this thread, would be awesome to see a holiday bundle of W80 with a free BT cable
biggrin.gif

Sorry, I think I referred to another cable (MFI G2 cable) which was included in Westone W30 as an extra (phone) cable. If this is the case please disregard my comment. Once confirmed, I will delete my previous post.

Oct 24, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #1,105 of 1,383
@korzena : no problem man, I figured it's just misunderstanding.  Yes, we were talking about Westone BT Bluetooth wireless cable, not another non-Epic Wetsone cable. I'm not a bit fan of G2 cable either, the remote is too big
biggrin.gif

@dkstott : for clarification, refer to my Bluetooth cable comment above.

Oct 24, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #1,106 of 1,383
  @korzena : no problem man, I figured it's just misunderstanding.  Yes, we were talking about Westone BT Bluetooth wireless cable, not another non-Epic Wetsone cable. I'm not a bit fan of G2 cable either, the remote is too big
biggrin.gif

@dkstott : for clarification, refer to my Bluetooth cable comment above.

Thanks for the clarification. I've deleted my previous comments as they didn't refer to the cable in question.

Good to know Westone makes a great bluetooth cable too. I might give it a try myself:)

Thanks for your review and comments.

Oct 24, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #1,107 of 1,383
Thanks!! I've tried a few Bluetooth wireless earbuds in store and didn't like the fit. My westone fits like a glove. The other reviews of the Bluetooth cable vary from best thing since sliced bread to turns $1000 earbuds into cheap earbuds. I'm just about ready to pull the trigger and buy the westone Bluetooth cable.

Oct 24, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #1,108 of 1,383
A couple of words of caution regarding the Westone Bluetooth cable... I purchased it on release so have had it for a few months now.

1) I have never been able to pair it with two devices. If I want to switch between iPhone and iPad I have to "forget" the device and repair it with the one I want to use. I did submit a question to Westone via their website form but disappointingly I received no reply.

2) more seriously, since using the cable both shells of my W40s have cracked. This may be coincidence, but I've had them for coming up on 3 years now and used them every single day with no issues, they definitely weren't cracked when I swapped them onto the Bluetooth cable but I noticed the other day that at the point where the MMCX connection meets, both shells are split. I only looked because the sound on the right one had started cutting in and out.

I'll be home at the end of the week and will take pictures and try to contact Westone (though my experience with the web form doesn't bode well and I can't find a support email address). They're out of warranty but given the possibility that the Bluetooth cable has caused this, I would hope they will sort the problem out.

Oct 24, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #1,109 of 1,383
A couple of words of caution regarding the Westone Bluetooth cable... I purchased it on release so have had it for a few months now.

1) I have never been able to pair it with two devices. If I want to switch between iPhone and iPad I have to "forget" the device and repair it with the one I want to use. I did submit a question to Westone via their website form but disappointingly I received no reply.

2) more seriously, since using the cable both shells of my W40s have cracked. This may be coincidence, but I've had them for coming up on 3 years now and used them every single day with no issues, they definitely weren't cracked when I swapped them onto the Bluetooth cable but I noticed the other day that at the point where the MMCX connection meets, both shells are split. I only looked because the sound on the right one had started cutting in and out.

I'll be home at the end of the week and will take pictures and try to contact Westone (though my experience with the web form doesn't bode well and I can't find a support email address). They're out of warranty but given the possibility that the Bluetooth cable has caused this, I would hope they will sort the problem out.

When you say cracked, does your W40 looks like this?  This is pic of W60 (on the left) next to W80 (on the right).  W80 shell has been redesigned where the shell joint is now straight around mmcx connector, rather then being angled like in W40/W50/W60 which confuses some people into thinking it's "cracked".  I never paid much attention myself until started to switch cables and noticed the joint wasn't straight.  That's how I discovered it wasn't actually cracked, Westone pointed it out to me.  Of course, please post the picture, but if it looks like my W60 on the left - it's normal
wink.gif
as intended by design.

Oct 25, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #1,110 of 1,383
Sorry but I disagree with Westone's claim that the crack on the W60 is "normal as intended by design"

1) In your photo you can clearly see where the proper shell joint runs straight, as highlighted in green, and when I check my own W60 I can also see a clear, but sealed, joint which runs straight

2) Even if it were true that the shell joint were designed to run at an angle, as highlighted in red, I don't believe that the joint should crack and open up like it has in your picture

If Westone claim that this is normal, and intended, it seems like a transparent lie in order to excuse sub-par build quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back