New WESTONE W-SERIES
Jan 3, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #1,126 of 1,383
Do you guys feel that the w30 is somewhat constricted for soundstage? I'm using it with a mojo. Its not blowing my socks off. 
After looking at various reviews over here, I decided to chose the w30 over the w40. 

Edit : After going through all the tips. I've finally found ones which suit my sound preferences. They're really starting to shine now. 

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #1,127 of 1,383
I use my W40, balanced cable into Pono every night, really like it...

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #1,128 of 1,383
  Do you guys feel that the w30 is somewhat constricted for soundstage? I'm using it with a mojo. Its not blowing my socks off. 
After looking at various reviews over here, I decided to chose the w30 over the w40. 

Edit : After going through all the tips. I've finally found ones which suit my sound preferences. They're really starting to shine now. 

Indeed, tip selection is VERY important.  Not enough seal, and your bass is gone.  Too tight seal, and low end overpowers highs.

Btw, W-series is designed as the one with a wider soundstage in comparison to UM Pro series.  I mean, we are not talking about holographic staging, but it's definitely above average and more natural rather than artificial.

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #1,129 of 1,383
True, I like the Westone Star tips on my W40, was not getting good sound with other tips.

Jan 4, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #1,131 of 1,383
I have the w30 after testing all the tips I think that the "closer" the w30 are in your ear the better. Small complys did the job. Star tips make the sound thinner with not much weight and tonality. Bigger complys (with long stem) muffle the sound. So small complys (with the short stem) and deep insertion have nice isolation, tamed bass, weight in sound, and crystal clear highs

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #1,132 of 1,383
I have the w30 after testing all the tips I think that the "closer" the w30 are in your ear the better. Small complys did the job. Star tips make the sound thinner with not much weight and tonality. Bigger complys (with long stem) muffle the sound. So small complys (with the short stem) and deep insertion have nice isolation, tamed bass, weight in sound, and crystal clear highs

Sounds like you had fun tip rolling
wink.gif

I talked to quite a few people who used their Westone iems straight out of the box with default grey tips and never tried to switch.  Too bad for them.  You also pointed out another cool thing about these westone eartips.  They don't just vary in size but also in length which gives you a choice to experiment with different insertion depth.

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #1,133 of 1,383
As far as tip rolling goes the Nozzle of the W3 (which looks the same as W30) is short for my ear canals. Even the biggest longest Star Tips didn't quite work. So what I ended up doing was putting the smallest triple flange tip I have on the W3 and then putting a large Spiral Dot tip on the the tip of the smallest flange of the triple flange. So in the end it was like extending the nozzle while also being able to use the Spiral Tips which normally aren't adaptable with Westone. Works quite well.
And yes again even though I 'm talking about the original Westone 3  it also is VERY dependent on seal. Most of the comments that talk about sibiliance I feel mostly have to do with fit and not the overall sound of the earpiece in general.      

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #1,134 of 1,383
Actually the westone 3 has different nozzle-body angle than w30, Westone W30 can go deeper. Best westone 3 sound that I've tried comes with Shure olive tips and the w3 to stay comfortable in your ear and not to force to go deep with long tips. Each earphone needs a different earphone "management" unfortunately. Westone 3 best sound came with wide grith foam eartips with only the Shure olives to provide that. It is amazing what sound you can get with w3 and it is pretty disappointing that some people say that you can get similar sound quality with very cheap iems now days.

Shure olives does not work quite well with w30's in my case.

It is quite funny actually that some people throw tons of money in cables that change the sound signature a little and don't experiment excessively with the eartips which change the sound dramatically.

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #1,135 of 1,383

Does anyone else have this issue? My w30's just simply cracked on their own accord, Haven't used them very much. there's a crack at roughly the same spot on both. And it hasn't even been a month since I bought these. these are QC issues. 

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #1,136 of 1,383

Does anyone else have this issue? My w30's just simply cracked on their own accord, Haven't used them very much. there's a crack at roughly the same spot on both. And it hasn't even been a month since I bought these. these are QC issues. 

Yep. Happened to almost all of my faceplates shortly after I bought them. When it happened the first time I emailed Westone and they sent me new ones for free. The new ones also cracked within a month so I gave up.

The good news is it's only cosmetic - it doesn't affect the actual housing or the sound. But yeah I'd rather have the UMPro series design.

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #1,138 of 1,383

Yes, nothing to worry about.  This is just a faceplate, a cosmetic piece of interchangeable plastic.  It happens when screws are a bit overtighten.  They improved faceplate design in W80, though I know this doesn't help you.  Just loosen up the screw with a provided tool and replace the faceplate with another color pair included with your W30.  Also, if you are under warranty, you can contact Westone and ask for a replacement of the color which cracked.  If you have issues with that, ping me in PM.

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #1,139 of 1,383
  Going on two years with my W30s and no faceplate cracks.  I think it comes down to how much one tightens the screws.

Ok, So the funny thing is I've read about the faceplate cracks. and I haven't ONCE replaced the plate or tightened the screws, the tools and the other plates are still brand new inside the box, I've been so careful with these, Its very distressing to see them just crack all of a sudden. It's most definitely a manufacturing defect.

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #1,140 of 1,383

Going on two years with my W30s and no faceplate cracks.  I think it comes down to how much one tightens the screws.

Ok, So the funny thing is I've read about the faceplate cracks. and I haven't ONCE replaced the plate or tightened the screws, the tools and the other plates are still brand new inside the box, I've been so careful with these, Its very distressing to see them just crack all of a sudden. It's most definitely a manufacturing defect.

Sometimes it could also happen when dust gets underneath, making faceplate bulge out a bit, and causing a crack.  Eitherway, I'm sure they can replace it for you.  And this doesn't affect the sound :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back