New WESTONE W-SERIES
Feb 2, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #1,171 of 1,383
After owning my W40s for a little over a year I'd like to offer my opinion on the c-clips that are included with my W40s and presumably with all of the Wx0 line. I think going with this design, while aesthetically pleasing and giving one the option to customize the look, was a mistake. I live in an environment that during the summers gets fairly hot and during the winters gets fairly cold. Within a month of purchasing my W40s my first two c-clips cracked - both sides. I thought it was maybe my bad, but knew I had been taking good care of my earphones. I spoke with Westone about replacements and was told that they'd do me a favor and send me new ones. Great! So then comes this winter and what do you know? I have cracks in the c-clips again. So this time I had to order them for $5 a piece. I wasn't ecstatic about this, but went through with the replacement regardless. Then a week later - yesterday - I'm out in the cold for maybe 20 minutes and come in doors and happen to check the earphones. Not again. Yup the c-clips are cracked again. For some reason, they don't hold up well in cold weather. I'd hope that Westone could go back to the drawing board and figure out a different material that doesn't crack in 20-30°F weather. They should have just left them as one color and a solid shell. What's odd to me is this isn't considered part of my 2 year warranty. It's not like I'm trying to break these things. So be warned that if you go for this product line you'll possibly go through the same trials and tribulations I've gone through.

Thank you for your time in sharing your opinion. I have been paying attention to all of these threads and I hear you loud and clear. Recognizing the issues that we have with these clips we will replace your c-clips. Please reach out to our customer service and they will send you replacement clips. We will do our best to take care of the customer.

Feb 2, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #1,172 of 1,383
After owning my W40s for a little over a year I'd like to offer my opinion on the c-clips that are included with my W40s and presumably with all of the Wx0 line. I think going with this design, while aesthetically pleasing and giving one the option to customize the look, was a mistake. I live in an environment that during the summers gets fairly hot and during the winters gets fairly cold. Within a month of purchasing my W40s my first two c-clips cracked - both sides. I thought it was maybe my bad, but knew I had been taking good care of my earphones. I spoke with Westone about replacements and was told that they'd do me a favor and send me new ones. Great! So then comes this winter and what do you know? I have cracks in the c-clips again. So this time I had to order them for $5 a piece. I wasn't ecstatic about this, but went through with the replacement regardless. Then a week later - yesterday - I'm out in the cold for maybe 20 minutes and come in doors and happen to check the earphones. Not again. Yup the c-clips are cracked again. For some reason, they don't hold up well in cold weather. I'd hope that Westone could go back to the drawing board and figure out a different material that doesn't crack in 20-30°F weather. They should have just left them as one color and a solid shell. What's odd to me is this isn't considered part of my 2 year warranty. It's not like I'm trying to break these things. So be warned that if you go for this product line you'll possibly go through the same trials and tribulations I've gone through.

Yep almost all of mine are cracked including the replacements Westone sent me. The good news is that the cracks are on only one side of the screws so at least for me you don't really notice it unless you look for it. They are barely visible and the fit is still tight and secure.

Feb 2, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #1,173 of 1,383
Yep almost all of mine are cracked including the replacements Westone sent me. The good news is that the cracks are on only one side of the screws so at least for me you don't really notice it unless you look for it. They are barely visible and the fit is still tight and secure.

See, that's a common thing, the crack always happens around the screw. I had a crack in the past as well, replaced by Westone no questions asked since it was under warranty. But I suspected that it had to do with me overtightening the screw. But it's a good point that even if the screw is not super tight, going from inside of the house where it's 70 to outside when it's 20 or single digits - this can affect the plastic. Looks like Westone is reading this thread and taking notes. They did that with UM Pro series and the latest v2 releases, shells were redesigned, and new mmcx audio connectors implemented. W80 c-clip became j-clip, definitely an improvement in design, but stil plastic. I like those metal c-clips someone shared about in this thread, from amazon.

Feb 3, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #1,174 of 1,383
Thank you for your time in sharing your opinion. I have been paying attention to all of these threads and I hear you loud and clear. Recognizing the issues that we have with these clips we will replace your c-clips. Please reach out to our customer service and they will send you replacement clips. We will do our best to take care of the customer.

BKG - thanks for reaching out. It is very much appreciated. I will contact support again for replacements and let you know via PM if things aren't cleared up.

Yup same place. However, I wouldn't classify this as good news. However, being aware of the issue at hand is a good thing. At least there's a chance future products can inherit changes going forward.

See, that's a common thing, the crack always happens around the screw. I had a crack in the past as well, replaced by Westone no questions asked since it was under warranty. But I suspected that it had to do with me overtightening the screw. But it's a good point that even if the screw is not super tight, going from inside of the house where it's 70 to outside when it's 20 or single digits - this can affect the plastic. Looks like Westone is reading this thread and taking notes. They did that with UM Pro series and the latest v2 releases, shells were redesigned, and new mmcx audio connectors implemented. W80 c-clip became j-clip, definitely an improvement in design, but stil plastic. I like those metal c-clips someone shared about in this thread, from amazon.

The cracks aren't happening from over tightening... As suggested earlier, I think extreme temp changes are what's causing it. I'll have to dig up info on the c-clips from amazon. In the meantime, I'll wait on replacements.

Feb 9, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #1,175 of 1,383
Hi guys! I recently published my German review of W40, W60 and W60: headflux.de/westone-w40-w60-w80/

W40-W60-W80.jpg

If you don't speak German, the measurements might still be interesting though. What I found particularly interesting is how the W80 reacts to both supplied cables and to the cable that comes with W40 and W60. This effect can actually be measured:

Westone-W80-Kabel-Effekte-web.png

Feb 9, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #1,176 of 1,383
Mar 17, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #1,177 of 1,383
Thanks to this wonderful forum, I have purchased my first decent earphone (W10) last year and I believe it's time i step up my game and upgrade my earphone to perhaps W30 or W40.
I read a lot of reviews to finally settle with these 2, but I just cant decide which to go for... many reviews i read have different music taste from me and i can't tell which is better suited for my taste.
I mostly listen to acoustic musics, my favourite artists are Of Monsters and Men, M83, Sigur Ros, Hans Zimmer. I also enjoy EDM like Avicii, Alan Walker. I am looking for earphone with both nice highs & bass, and a wide soundstage.
One of my fav song for ref:
Any advise??

Mar 17, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #1,178 of 1,383
Thanks to this wonderful forum, I have purchased my first decent earphone (W10) last year and I believe it's time i step up my game and upgrade my earphone to perhaps W30 or W40.
I read a lot of reviews to finally settle with these 2, but I just cant decide which to go for... many reviews i read have different music taste from me and i can't tell which is better suited for my taste.
I mostly listen to acoustic musics, my favourite artists are Of Monsters and Men, M83, Sigur Ros, Hans Zimmer. I also enjoy EDM like Avicii, Alan Walker. I am looking for earphone with both nice highs & bass, and a wide soundstage.
One of my fav song for ref:
Any advise??

Based on your music preference, I think W30 will suite you better. W40 will have less bass and more forward/brigther upper mids/treble which is more "audiophile" to analyze the sounds, but less musical in comparison to W30. If you want more bass impact for EDM and smoother warmer vocals with less revealing details, go for W30.

Mar 23, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #1,179 of 1,383
Based on your music preference, I think W30 will suite you better. W40 will have less bass and more forward/brigther upper mids/treble which is more "audiophile" to analyze the sounds, but less musical in comparison to W30. If you want more bass impact for EDM and smoother warmer vocals with less revealing details, go for W30.
good to know W30 have a better bass! how's the soundstage tho? how would W30 or W40 perform for acoustic and instrumental musics (e.g. hans zimmer) with many different instruments playing together and a complex passage? i feel like these musics are best enjoyed with a more spacious, larger soundstage.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #1,180 of 1,383
good to know W30 have a better bass! how's the soundstage tho? how would W30 or W40 perform for acoustic and instrumental musics (e.g. hans zimmer) which is best enjoyed with a more spacious, larger soundstage?

W-series in general has a wider soundstage, when compared to their UM Pro series, since it's tuned more for audiophiles/consumers rather than performing musicians. So, either one should give you an open spacious soundstage expansion, but W40 will have a little edge. Just from my personal experience, brighter upper frequencies make sound more airy, opening up top end which can give you a better perception of staging. Just keep in mind, I'm talking about the perception factor. While, the smoother warmer sound gives you a more intimate staging when dealing with IEMs.

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #1,182 of 1,383
W-series in general has a wider soundstage, when compared to their UM Pro series, since it's tuned more for audiophiles/consumers rather than performing musicians. So, either one should give you an open spacious soundstage expansion, but W40 will have a little edge. Just from my personal experience, brighter upper frequencies make sound more airy, opening up top end which can give you a better perception of staging. Just keep in mind, I'm talking about the perception factor. While, the smoother warmer sound gives you a more intimate staging when dealing with IEMs.

I have successfully found a shop with both W30 & W40 demo! I am quite torn on which one to choose... would be perfect if there is an earphone that kinda combines the sound signature of both haha! (i guess a model higher up the W series?)
For now I am kinda leaning towards W40, tho then when it comes to bass W30 really is better urgh!
I will find another time to demo the earphones again to make a decision lmao

Apr 21, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #1,183 of 1,383
I have successfully found a shop with both W30 & W40 demo! I am quite torn on which one to choose... would be perfect if there is an earphone that kinda combines the sound signature of both haha! (i guess a model higher up the W series?)
For now I am kinda leaning towards W40, tho then when it comes to bass W30 really is better urgh!
I will find another time to demo the earphones again to make a decision lmao

Yeah, you might have to step it up into W60 or even W80 territory if you want to combine and improve the performance. But based on what you are describing, maybe focus on W30 vs W40, test/compare these again with your source of choice and favorite songs. Btw, are you using, a DAP or smarthpone or smartphone/usb DAC? I think I mentioned in one of my reviews, having choices is great, but sometime it could drive you crazy lol!

May 30, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #1,184 of 1,383
Someone just asked me if I ever used Westone Hearing Aid Saver? So wondering if anybody has experience with it?

westone_hearing_aid_saver.jpg

From a description, It uses silica gel pellets that change color as they absorb the moisture and you restore them back after awhile by microwaving for 30 sec. Looks neat under $10, but I have no experience with it. Don't know, maybe a good idea when you wear iems while exercising and sweat a lot, to get the moisture out?

May 30, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #1,185 of 1,383
Yeah, you might have to step it up into W60 or even W80 territory if you want to combine and improve the performance. But based on what you are describing, maybe focus on W30 vs W40, test/compare these again with your source of choice and favorite songs. Btw, are you using, a DAP or smarthpone or smartphone/usb DAC? I think I mentioned in one of my reviews, having choices is great, but sometime it could drive you crazy lol!
I second this, if you have th cash fo for the w80, having owned the w40, w60 and w80 the w80 is the perfect iem, it has the better bass with good treble and are not sibilant as the w60 can be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back