NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Dec 26, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #4,967 of 4,971
  Has anyone used the Vali 1 with m50x? The guy I sold my Vali to is saying the m50s sound "wimpy" or "weak" through the amp but sound fine through a normal MP3 player.

I used that combo sometime ago, I did not think it was wimpy or weak, I actually preffered it  to the Modi 2 Uber with some types of music.. What does his chain look like? Is he Eq'ing his MP3 Player?

Dec 26, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #4,968 of 4,971

I used that combo sometime ago, I did not think it was wimpy or weak, I actually preffered it  to the Modi 2 Uber with some types of music.. What does his chain look like? Is he Eq'ing his MP3 Player?

From what I can tell, his chain is just a Realtek 7.1 gaming soundcard > Vali > m50x. He said it sounds clear and he can hear everything but there's just no power behind them, unlike the Razor headset he plugs in which sounds crappier but has more oopmh behind it.

Then he plugged in his m50x into a regular mp3 player (not sure what type) and the music just came alive and sounded really exciting and how it was supposed to.

I don't get it. I never used my m40x (which I assume have the same impedence, etc.) with my Vali because I bought the Vali specifically for my 600s.

Nov 4, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #4,971 of 4,971
I just lent out the Vali to ultrabike since he has a HD558 and we were curious how that combo would fair.

First off, let me say: the Vali is an incredible amp with the right headphones, and I agree almost 100% with your assessment of the vibrancy, immediancy, excitement, and general sound signature.

In regards to 558 + Vali: Very badly, in my experience. I used to own the Vali and paired it with the 558 back in the day. Soundstage collapsed, drums got pushed back way in the mix and became extremely wimpy sounding, the entire sound signature became a bit tinny, and the clarity dropped and became very muffled.

Sold the Vali eventually to fund a Valhalla 2 (to a guy who needed to get into higher end audio) and loved the Valhalla 2. Last week I found a Vali again for sale for cheap and jumped at the opportunity to own it again. I plugged in my 558 after reading your assessment of the pairing and, yep, my original experience with the pairing came right back.

Between the 600 and 800 on the Vali: I think the 600 pairs better, but I'm still experimenting so the jury is out on that.

Between the Vali and the Valhalla 2.....I think I like the Vali more, honestly. It has a magic that the Valhalla 2 is lacking. The energy, the sense of rhythm, the way it handles vocals, the depth of the soundstage....can't be touched by the Valhalla 2 (w/ stock tubes). They're completely different listening experiences. The Vali sounds more "real" for a lack of better word, more visceral. I get the sense that the soundstage is filled by living, breathing things. There's a lot of weight and body to the instruments. Vocals just float and hang in the air in front of you. It's incredible. The Valhalla 2 is more detailed, with more air, space and wider soundstage (cleaner and clearer sounding) but sounds like you're listening to a recording.

Anyway, I'm glad to be back on the Vali train. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back