NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Feb 8, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #4,936 of 4,971

All (except for the first generation Asgard, for which they offered retrofitting) Schiit amps have a mute relay. They state that it is safe to leave headphones plugged in all the time. Some people still unplug their phones before turning on or off because they are paranoid.

I leave my phones plugged in all the time and I've never had a problem.

Thanks, that's great to know. I won't worry (as much) now. 

Technically, all current Schiit amps that need muting relays have them. I believe the Valhalla 2 does not, since because of how tubes power on, it is not necessary.

Outside of that specific exception, yes, RickB is correct 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #4,937 of 4,971
Hi all, really need some help from any audiophile gurus.

I'm currently using the FIIO E10K with Beyer DT990s.

The line out goes to my speakers and headhphone out to my DT990s.

I'm planning to get the Schiit Magni/Vali and more interested in the Vali due to the fact that it is a hybrid tube amp and might provide a more warmer sound.

If I do get the Vali, I plan to connect it through the line out of my FIIO E10K via 3.5mm to RCA cable. My only concern is the ringing sound that occurs with tube amps when you turn them on for the first few minutes. 

-Would the ringing sound affect my speakers as well?
-Should I just connect my speakers through the line out from my DAC as per usual instead of RCA from the Vali to avoid the ringing?

Kindly advise as I've heard it would be better to output the amp (Vali) through line out as opposed to headphone out. If it makes no difference, I might as well use the headphone out to the Vali and use the line out from my DAC to my speakers to avoid the ringing.

Apr 27, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #4,938 of 4,971
  Between Schiit Vali and Little Dot I+, which is a better choice for low impedance cans like AKG K550 & Beyer DT880 (32 Ohm) ?
Which one has a wider sound stage, better separation, more detail ?

Does Vali allow tube rolling ?
If yes, what are the recommended tubes for better sound stage and detail ?

littledot I+ is one of the most respected tube amps out there for low impedance headphones and its only 115$ right now on amazon. the vali 2 at 169$+shipping well... like all schiit products besides the sys, it's over-hyped overpriced bullschiit marketed to seem like the best thing for the price. the vali 2 does not even have a true tube sound, so it would be better to get an o2 amp for cheaper than the vali (as it can compete with thousand dollar+ amps and is one of the best in the world) otherwise if you want a tube amp for low impedance headphones its best to get the littledot I+ and tube roll. 

Apr 27, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #4,939 of 4,971
  littledot I+ is one of the most respected tube amps out there for low impedance headphones and its only 115$ right now on amazon. the vali 2 at 169$+shipping well... like all schiit products besides the sys, it's over-hyped overpriced bullschiit marketed to seem like the best thing for the price. the vali 2 does not even have a true tube sound, so it would be better to get an o2 amp for cheaper than the vali (as it can compete with thousand dollar+ amps and is one of the best in the world) otherwise if you want a tube amp for low impedance headphones its best to get the littledot I+ and tube roll. 

What has been your personal experience owning and listening to a Vali?

May 27, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #4,940 of 4,971
Most of the time I listen to FLAC albums on the HD600 cans using the LG G Pro 8.0 tablet. I bought the LG tablet because it has a full size USB jack. I have about 150 albums of just about everything but classical I ripped from CD's and loaded on a 128GB USB drive. I can just plug in the drive and the tablet loads the albums complete with the artwork automatically.  The tablet can drive the HD600's , but they really come alive with the Vali (1). My next project will be to rip a bunch of classical albums and load them on another drive. The Vali sounds great to me. It's difficult to imagine a better deal for the $100 I paid for it.

May 27, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #4,941 of 4,971
  Most of the time I listen to FLAC albums on the HD600 cans using the LG G Pro 8.0 tablet. I bought the LG tablet because it has a full size USB jack. I have about 150 albums of just about everything but classical I ripped from CD's and loaded on a 128GB USB drive. I can just plug in the drive and the tablet loads the albums complete with the artwork automatically.  The tablet can drive the HD600's , but they really come alive with the Vali (1). My next project will be to rip a bunch of classical albums and load them on another drive. The Vali sounds great to me. It's difficult to imagine a better deal for the $100 I paid for it.

Welcome to Head-Fi!

You're definitely in the sweet spot - Vali sounds great to me too. I use it with HD650 and AKG K702 headphones. I was planning to sell. But keeping this little box around, I find myself using it more and more. It just lets so much of the essence of the source and sound come through.

I would normally say, sorry for your wallet. But I think staying around this price point is plenty good. Keep the wallet and the ears happy 
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #4,943 of 4,971
I already have a Modi Multibit feeding a Magni 2 Uber, but I'm curious about the "tube" sound.  Schiit has the original Vali as closeout stock for $99.  I'm tempted to pick one up to see what the tube sound is all about.  Any thoughts on running this with Fostex/Massdrop TH-X00s? 

Oct 7, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #4,944 of 4,971
I got a closeout Vali from them a couple weeks ago. Sounds very, very good with my 600ohm T1.2. Don't plan to switch headphones too often but my lower impedance phones hiss on the Vali (not too much ringing when swapping phones since Schitt added the soft adhesive pads below each tube).

Vali 2 is not much more but I don't tube roll and (personally) dislike exposed tubes. I've read the Vali 2 is better in some ways like hi/low gain so it should hiss less with some phones.

Both amps are hybrids so the sound is warmer and smoother but still very detailed and spacious without (afaik) being too tubey (I've read the sound from some full tube amps being described as thick and syrupy).

Oct 7, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #4,945 of 4,971
  I already have a Modi Multibit feeding a Magni 2 Uber, but I'm curious about the "tube" sound.  Schiit has the original Vali as closeout stock for $99.  I'm tempted to pick one up to see what the tube sound is all about.  Any thoughts on running this with Fostex/Massdrop TH-X00s? 

I have the original Vali and it's a great little amp.  Wonderful sound to it.  But... I wouldn't recommend it with the TH-X00.  It has a high noise floor / hiss with those headphones, and with the 6.5ohm output impedance of the Vali, it doesn't dampen the 25ohm TH-X00 very well.  The Vali 2 would be a much better match with that headphone if you want to try out a tube amp.

Oct 7, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #4,947 of 4,971
  Thanks for the input.  I'm pretty happy with my Magni 2 Uber, and I don't think I want to spend $170 + shipping on the Vali 2 just to play around, so I'll stick with the M2U.   

Good decision, as you already have good kit. You can spend more time enjoying some music, after all, isn't that what it's all about?

Oct 8, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #4,949 of 4,971
Yes but I also enjoy the pursuit, the journey. The thrill of a new addition and trying it out. Of course, budget is always the limiting factor to this.

One can easily spend large amounts of money for imaginary results so keep an eye on your wallet.

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #4,950 of 4,971
Short version:  Any IEM recommendations that work with the original Vali, possibly including active noise cancellation models, or is it time for an electronics upgrade?

Longer version:  A good part of my working day is on-site consulting with one customer.  They have recently moved to a new facility, and part of their uplift (?) prior to moving in was drinking the Noise == Privacy Kool-Aid ... They installed noise emitters in the ceiling, adding more to an already noisy HVAC system.  If I measure (off-hours, empty) background is 49-50 dBa in my cube, with line of sight to a half-dozen of the bloody emitters.

In the former location (no noise emitters) I listened to my Vali with DT-250, or the less comfortable but better-isolating DT-150 headphones.  I wear glasses so the headphone pad seal isn't perfect, but I had enough isolation to cope with the old building's HVAC noise.  Not enough for the new location's HVAC plus masking (plus people) noise.  Also, I'm suddenly experiencing a lot of neck and shoulder pain.  There could be a lot of reasons for that, I'm trying to "shotgun" all the possible answers before I end up unable to work, so reducing weight worn on my head all day long seems desirable.

IEMs for better isolation and less weight seems like a possible answer, but most that I've looked at have very low impedance, making me think I'd have a much more audible noise floor.  Anyone have any recommendations for a pair (higher impedance and/or lower efficiency?) that work well with the Vali?  Has anyone tried the Bose Quiet Comfort 20 with the amp?  Having only Bose-supplied ear tips seems a limitation, and reviews for them seem all over the map. 

Or am I going to have to retire the Vali for something else in order to pursue more isolation and less weight?

Thanks,
Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back