NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Nov 15, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #4,951 of 4,971

IEMs for better isolation and less weight seems like a possible answer, but most that I've looked at have very low impedance, making me think I'd have a much more audible noise floor.  Anyone have any recommendations for a pair (higher impedance and/or lower efficiency?) that work well with the Vali? 

Can't help with noise cancelling iems since I don't wear them.

But this should help with the noise floor no matter what iems you get or how low their impedance is:

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-iematch/

I use one with my Vali and low impedance headphones (like the 18 ohm Senn M2). No hiss at all on the high setting. Ultra setting (if needed) should keep hiss away for even the most sensitive iems.

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #4,952 of 4,971
Have any owners of the Vali2 used it in multiple input setups?

I've got three inputs and I'm having a spot of trouble figuring out my topology. The Vali2 looks like it can act as a phono preamp as well as a headphone amp, so I'm hoping I can run my turntable into there, and then use its preamp out to an amp.

The issue with this though is that it wouldn't be in the line for my two other inputs - a digital (multipurpose) and a Chromecast Audio.

Do I have to combine all three inputs somewhere before splitting them again to run to a headphone amp and a stereo amp separately?

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #4,953 of 4,971

Well first: you cannot use Vali 2 as a phono preamp. Decent phono MM preamp needs gain of about 50 dB, which is ten times more than Vali 2 can provide. So basically for your TT you need dedicated phono preamp. Then from there you go into dedicated preamplifier, which has to have at least three inputs. It would be very good if that preamplifier would have two pairs of outputs. On one of them you can connect Vali 2 and the other one you can use to connect power amplifier with loudspeakers.

So if you want to remain in the Shiit world that would mean that you need at least: Saga, Vali 2 and Mani. Shiit at the moment does not offer any power amps or speakers.

Nov 23, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #4,954 of 4,971
Ah, ok I see now. I hadn't realized the many different types of preamp. So, the stack would look like:

TT -> Phono preamp > preamp
Chromecast > preamp
DAC > preamp

Preamp > Stereo Amp
Preamp > headphone amp

Thanks so much for clearing that up, there is apparently a whole chunk of this chain I need to educate myself on now.

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #4,955 of 4,971

Well first: you cannot use Vali 2 as a phono preamp. Decent phono MM preamp needs gain of about 50 dB, which is ten times more than Vali 2 can provide. So basically for your TT you need dedicated phono preamp. Then from there you go into dedicated preamplifier, which has to have at least three inputs. It would be very good if that preamplifier would have two pairs of outputs. On one of them you can connect Vali 2 and the other one you can use to connect power amplifier with loudspeakers.

So if you want to remain in the Shiit world that would mean that you need at least: Saga, Vali 2 and Mani. Shiit at the moment does not offer any power amps or speakers.

Second: The Vali 2 doesn't have RIAA equalization. Headphone amps don't do that.

Nov 29, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #4,957 of 4,971
Hello,

Can anyone help me on this? I am getting used Vali 1 from USA and I am based in Australia. Here we use 230V and different power plug shape so I guess that I need 3rd party power adapter to go with it. Vali 1 spec states that 16VAC/8W as power. Does this mean that I need to find specifically 8W power adapter?  I am not familiar how power requirement works so not sure which one to get.... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.  

Nov 29, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #4,958 of 4,971
Originally Posted by Decommo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can anyone help me on this? I am getting used Vali 1 from USA and I am based in Australia. Here we use 230V and different power plug shape so I guess that I need 3rd party power adapter to go with it. Vali 1 spec states that 16VAC/8W as power. Does this mean that I need to find specifically 8W power adapter?  I am not familiar how power requirement works so not sure which one to get.... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.  

You can order the 16VAC, 230VAC Australian plug direct from Schiit for $10USD:
http://schiit.com/products/wall-warts

Nov 29, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #4,959 of 4,971

Originally Posted by Decommo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You can order the 16VAC, 230VAC Australian plug direct from Schiit for $10USD:
http://schiit.com/products/wall-warts

Thank you...Great to know that we can order adapter from schiit direct. I just checked and it is good price but they charge shipping US$23 which defeats the purpose of getting used pair of amp.

I just searched on eBay and found this one. Do you think this might work? 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-100V-240V-Adapter-DC-15V-500mA-Switching-Power-Supply-0-5A-AU-plug-DC-5-5mm-/351560912532?hash=item51daa9ce94:g:2E8AAOSwwbdWLZnm

Schiit's original one is 16V, 500mA 8W. This one is 15V 500mA 7.5W.

Nov 29, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #4,960 of 4,971

Thank you...Great to know that we can order adapter from schiit direct. I just checked and it is good price but they charge shipping US$23 which defeats the purpose of getting used pair of amp.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-100V-240V-Adapter-DC-15V-500mA-Switching-Power-Supply-0-5A-AU-plug-DC-5-5mm-/351560912532?hash=item51daa9ce94:g:2E8AAOSwwbdWLZnm

Not sure if that one will work. Wouldn't trust it since over time the 1V difference could cause overheating.

I tried using a different power supply when I first got my Vali 1. But it got so hot after less than a minute that I quickly removed it. Just glad I didn't damage either piece.

Schiit AC power supplies are pretty specific and usually power 2 or 3 things inside each amp simultaneously. Not a good idea trying to replace them with a 3rd party. May be safer to use a step-up transformer. Their shipping costs aren't cheap but then their prices are pretty low. Maybe it would've cheaper buying a new, complete Vali 1 from them as I did (not sure about the exchange rate though for $99USD).

Nov 29, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #4,961 of 4,971

Not sure if that one will work. Wouldn't trust it since over time the 1V difference could cause overheating.

I tried using a different power supply when I first got my Vali 1. But it got so hot after less than a minute that I quickly removed it. Just glad I didn't damage either piece.

Schiit AC power supplies are pretty specific and usually power 2 or 3 things inside each amp simultaneously. Not a good idea trying to replace them with a 3rd party. May be safer to use a step-up transformer. Their shipping costs aren't cheap but then their prices are pretty low. Maybe it would've cheaper buying a new, complete Vali 1 from them as I did (not sure about the exchange rate though for $99USD).

I see. I will try to stick to original AC adapter. Yep,, I am keen to try Vali 1 so tried to purchase Vali 1 from Schiit direct but it is out of stock so not available any longer if I understood correctly.

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #4,962 of 4,971

I see. I will try to stick to original AC adapter. Yep,, I am keen to try Vali 1 so tried to purchase Vali 1 from Schiit direct but it is out of stock so not available any longer if I understood correctly.

Yeah, I see now they're out of stock.

With most stuff its ok to match by voltage/wattage/amperage but not Schiit products. I'm not a fan of wall-warts but theirs aren't regular ones. I almost found that out the hard way (trying to use a supposed 'cleaner' linear psu).

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #4,963 of 4,971

Yeah, I see now they're out of stock.

With most stuff its ok to match by voltage/wattage/amperage but not Schiit products. I'm not a fan of wall-warts but theirs aren't regular ones. I almost found that out the hard way (trying to use a supposed 'cleaner' linear psu).

Thank you very much for your clarification. 
gs1000.gif

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #4,964 of 4,971
Decommo, understand your desire to source something without international shipping, but note that the Vali expects 16VAC power.  The eBay part you listed is a switching power supply that produces 15VDC output.  I don't believe the Vali will operate with a DC voltage, and there is a significant chance of damage to the Vali if you try it.  If you are still searching for a domestic solution, it needs to supply a 16VAC output with at least 500mA of capacity.

Regards,
Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back