NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Apr 15, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #4,621 of 4,971

"Much", but there is one.  And that "trouble on transients" is what I'm talking about.  Softer on the ears, as I said.

I also happen to hear the glare many others talk about but, hey, that's just me.

I found that the Magni was able handle the transients when playing loudly through the HE-500's without any issues. The Vali had the issues. Turn down the volume and no problems. Like I said, either amp should be pleasing.

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #4,622 of 4,971
In a far earlier post I noted no microphonics from my DT-770 Pro 250 ohm with the Vali.

I recently completed a MS-1000 build.  I can hear the microphonics very clearly with the MS-1000. I can only hear them from a stout insertion of the phono plug or rapping on the case. Touching the map or adjusting volume still has no microphonics for me.

The nominal impedance of the base Alessandro MS-1 is 32 ohms so I'd suppose any low impedance phones, certainly Grado, would be susceptible. My Beyer 770 Pro's are 250 ohm and are silent.

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #4,623 of 4,971
In what way is the Vali better than Magni 2?

When comparing audio gear, I seldom like to use 'better' as it is highly subjective from ear to ear from song to song.
For my preference, I prefer Vali than Magni, it's a little smoother in the vocal, Magni vocal is a little dryer, but my friend loves Magni more because Magni bass is faster and he like electronica musics.

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #4,624 of 4,971
When comparing audio gear, I seldom like to use 'better' as it is highly subjective from ear to ear from song to song.
For my preference, I prefer Vali than Magni, it's a little smoother in the vocal, Magni vocal is a little dryer, but my friend loves Magni more because Magni bass is faster and he like electronica musics.

Agree, "better" is not a simple thing. I had both Magni and Vali, and with time spent, found I liked the Vali considerably more. Differences are not big, yet are significant, imho. It's like getting to know people - they can seem indistinguishable when you first meet and "compare" them. But over time, due to hard to define factors, I like Valarie more than I do Margie.

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #4,625 of 4,971
Agree, "better" is not a simple thing. I had both Magni and Vali, and with time spent, found I liked the Vali considerably more. Differences are not big, yet are significant, imho. It's like getting to know people - they can seem indistinguishable when you first meet and "compare" them. But over time, due to hard to define factors, I like Valarie more than I do Margie.

And yet I felt the opposite. I still have both, but the Vali doesn't get to see many electrons. Different strokes for different folks.

Apr 18, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #4,626 of 4,971
Hey guys, I'm currently using the q701's with an Arcam rPac DAC/Amp unit. I'm craving a warmer sound, but I don't want to buy a different set of headphones. So I'm thinking of getting a Vali and using that as an amp, while using the rPac just for it's DAC. Should the Vali deliver a warmer, less fatiguing sound with my setup?

Apr 18, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #4,627 of 4,971
  Hey guys, I'm currently using the q701's with an Arcam rPac DAC/Amp unit. I'm craving a warmer sound, but I don't want to buy a different set of headphones. So I'm thinking of getting a Vali and using that as an amp, while using the rPac just for it's DAC. Should the Vali deliver a warmer, less fatiguing sound with my setup?

No, I wouldn't classify the Vali as a warm amp. All the Schiit amps are rather neutral. BTW I also have the Q701s.

Apr 19, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #4,628 of 4,971

I think, it definitely will deliver a warmer sound. Not as warm as a real tube amp, cause Vali is hybrid amp. So it gives you some warmth of the tubes, while keeping the clarity of ss. It is a really great amp, competing with amps that cost 3-4x of the Vali. I would definitely give it a try if I were in your shoes. And it is not warm enough, no other option left than buying a warmer headphone. (Or a real tube amp that cost 3-4 times more.)
(Just do not forget, for the great sound at this price point you have to make some little compromises with the Vali: it is ringing for 30 seconds when switching on, and it is not for low impedance headphones.)
But the sound it delivers is unbeatable for the price. :)

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #4,632 of 4,971
I was not referring to ringing with low impedance headphones but hiss. Hiss is mentioned with low impedance headphones many places. Especially IEMs. But Shiit itself also says this regarding Vali.

The noise depends on the sensitivity of the headphones. There's no issues with noise and my HE-500's, they are low impedance.

Apr 19, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #4,633 of 4,971
Any idea how what the noise would be like with a RE-600? According to HIFIMAN it specs out at  16 ohms for impedance and Sensitivity: 102 dB/mW.
Thanks.

Apr 19, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #4,634 of 4,971
  Any idea how what the noise would be like with a RE-600? According to HIFIMAN it specs out at  16 ohms for impedance and Sensitivity: 102 dB/mW.
Thanks.

I could hear noise when using a Sennheiser HD558 which has an impedance of 50 Ohms and a sensitivity of 112 dB/1V RMS or 99 dB/mW. I could also hear noise with Sennheiser Momentum Over Ears which are 18 Ohms, however, they spec the sensitivity at 110 dB but fail to specify if that is per mW or 1V RMS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back