NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Dec 11, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #4,351 of 4,971
Thank you!!! 
Given this setup, what are you thoughts on the value of an external DAC, like a Modi?

It will help improve your sound. Not by a huge amount, but to an extent people can enjoy and be glad they made the upgrade. Best way to find out out is to try it for yourself.
I enjoy Spotify subscription at 320 Kbps but I do find "full" resolution files, from ripped cd's, to sound better.

Dec 11, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #4,352 of 4,971
It will help improve your sound. Not by a huge amount, but to an extent people can enjoy and be glad they made the upgrade. Best way to find out out is to try it for yourself.
I enjoy Spotify subscription at 320 Kbps but I do find "full" resolution files, from ripped cd's, to sound better.

Agreed and with a low price point of $100 and easily to sell at near thatif dissatisfied it is a simple cost effective way to see if you can get your music to the next level of enjoyment. YMMV with any DAC seems to be my experience.

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #4,354 of 4,971
Am getting a Vali but its the US version. I am from India and possibly will need a step down converter.

My question is to Jason and anyone who might me able to help. Is using a step down converter going to be risky for the amp?

It is only temporary and will order a 230v wallwart after a month or so.

Had to get the Vali from Amazon due to very stringent time constraints. Someone is carrying it back for me.

The amps are the same right? Only the adapters are different. Or am I wrong?

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #4,356 of 4,971
Is it a pop or a click?

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #4,358 of 4,971
From the vali manual

3 Turn on the switch. The relay will mute Vali’s output for 15-20 seconds, then it will engage with a click.

I definitely notice a click on mine so have never been concerned

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #4,360 of 4,971
Am getting a Vali but its the US version. I am from India and possibly will need a step down converter.

My question is to Jason and anyone who might me able to help. Is using a step down converter going to be risky for the amp?

It is only temporary and will order a 230v wallwart after a month or so.

Had to get the Vali from Amazon due to very stringent time constraints. Someone is carrying it back for me.

The amps are the same right? Only the adapters are different. Or am I wrong?

When I was stationed in Germany I used a step down transformer to power hi-fi gear with no issues at all. The Vali requires 16 VAC from the wall wart. By stepping down your 240 VAC to 120 VAC that will allow the U.S.Vali's power supply to work just fine. Think of this way, the one you will be getting from Schiit will be stepping down the 240 VAC to 16 VAC (+\-) . Your converter won't harm the Vali at all.

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #4,361 of 4,971
When I was stationed in Germany I used a step down transformer to power hi-fi gear with no issues at all. The Vali requires 16 VAC from the wall wart. By stepping down your 240 VAC to 120 VAC that will allow the U.S.Vali's power supply to work just fine. Think of this way, the one you will be getting from Schiit will be stepping down the 240 VAC to 16 VAC (+\-) . Your converter won't harm the Vali at all.

I think it would probably cheaper and better to source a 240VAC to 16VAC 8W + wall wart locally, that's what I would do if I needed to.

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #4,364 of 4,971
I think Jason posted once insisting on using the wall wart Schiit provides. He said generic ones might harm the amp.

I believe the detail from the FAQ gets to the important point:
Unless you know what you’re doing, we don’t recommend that. Vali uses an AC wall wart. Most are DC. DC won’t work with Vali. 

If you end up having to source the adapter from someone other than Schiit, make certain you have something with AC output.  Glancing through the ever-growing collection of old wall warts at my house, they are all labelled with respect to AC vs DC, output voltage and current, although in some cases it is molded into the plastic shell, and you need decent light to read it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back