NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Dec 27, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #4,381 of 4,971
  StanD and RickB, how would you describe the difference between Vali and Asgard 2 with the HD600?

I consider the Vali to be slightly warmer. It sounds a little grainier (more distortion) than the Asgard. The Asgard has better bass.

The Vali has a slight lushness that isn't present in the Asgard.

Dec 27, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #4,385 of 4,971
  Specs from the Schiit website:
Vali: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.2db
Asgard 2: 0Hz-20Khz, -0.1db

(No difference)

The A2 isn't that good, you missed a character on the copy paste. 
biggrin.gif

Asgard 2: Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-400KHz, -3dB

Dec 28, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #4,392 of 4,971

The bass part of tracks is at a higher volume on my HD600 with the Asgard.

Maybe - but probably not. It's more likely you have the Asgard turned up a little bit more.

I think Bill is onto something. Our perception of bass and treble changes with volume so we are easily deceived, The best way to compare is with an A/B switch and match volumes, It is difficult to match volumes without that A/B switch.

Dec 28, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #4,393 of 4,971
Was going through the thread. At some point found very contradictory reports on how the HD 650 pairs with the Vali.

Some seem to have the impression that the Vali 650 combo sounds underpar if not paired with an expensive DAC.

Any thoughts?

Dec 28, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #4,394 of 4,971

I think Bill is onto something. Our perception of bass and treble changes with volume so we are easily deceived, The best way to compare is with an A/B switch and match volumes, It is difficult to match volumes without that A/B switch.

It's certainly possible. When I was noticing the difference I wasn't thinking about comparing it scientifically, I just noticed I liked the Asgard more because the bass was louder.

Dec 28, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #4,395 of 4,971

It's certainly possible. When I was noticing the difference I wasn't thinking about comparing it scientifically, I just noticed I liked the Asgard more because the bass was louder.

I built an A/B switch when I was comparing amps, it's not expensive and easy to build, if you can solder. You can probably buy one online somewhere. It's hard to carefully match volumes when switching wires as the music changes. Flipping the switch is fast enough, You could try setting a loop using a music player app that has such a feature, a short loop would do the trick.
I attach two amps to my DAC using Y cables so I don't have to fiddle with those wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back