NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Jun 19, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #4,022 of 4,971
  Can anyone tall me about Vali's internal LED lights? Can you switch them off or take them off the amp in some way?

They're a functional part of the circuit, not just something for appearance's sake (per Jason somewhere...can't find the post right now) so I don't think there's any easy way to turn them off.

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #4,023 of 4,971

They're a functional part of the circuit, not just something for appearance's sake (per Jason somewhere...can't find the post right now) so I don't think there's any easy way to turn them off.

Bummer... I love to listen to music through my headphones in a completely dark room, and while I can put some tape on the front white LED I don't know if putting tape on top of the amp is totally okay

Jun 20, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #4,027 of 4,971

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but. I believe the bright white LED on the front is an indicator light only. It shows you that the amp is on but has no function other than that.

The faintly glowing orange LEDs inside ARE a functional part of the circuit, however (I believe they are biasing LEDs). These cannot be removed.

I was also put off by the bright white LED, as I wanted to use my Vali on my nightstand. So I opened up the case and clipped that front panel LED right out. Had no effect on the functioning of the amp. Now I can actually use the Vali at night in the dark just before I drift off to sleep.

I find that those little orange biasing LEDs inside are bright enough to tell me the amp is on, but faint enough to actually be pleasant in a dark room. Unless I'm looking directly at the amp, I don't even notice the faint orange glow, even in pitch darkness. If you are concerned about using the amp in the dark, these little orange LEDs are not the problem. The front panel LED is.

You can use paint or tape on the bright front LED, but the Vali has a lot of holes where the bright white light can escape, even with the front of the LED fully taped.

It happens because the LED also illuminates from the back, and fills the inside of the amp with bright light. It leaks out into the room through the vent holes on top and from the gap surrounding the volume knob.

To fully block out all the light from that LED, you'd have to open up the amp and also paint/tape the back side of the LED (to keep it from illuminating the inside and leaking out the holes).

Clipping the LED out did the trick for me. Now my favorite bedside amp.

I have have a second Vali with the front panel LED intact, and can't detect a difference in how they sound.

Jun 20, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #4,028 of 4,971
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but. I believe the bright white LED on the front is an indicator light only. It shows you that the amp is on but has no function other than that.

As far as I'm aware that is correct, and only the faint ones inside the amp are a functional part of the circuit.

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #4,029 of 4,971
Guys, you do not read about the amp, you buy?

Vali is a hybrid tube amp. Led is only on the front, next to the headphone input. (Indicating, it is switched on.)
What you see inside as "red leds" those are the micro tubes. Giving you this great sound.
I wouldn't touch them or paint them. 
And I wouldn't use tape to cover the holes, as I assume, they are for cooling. 

If those tiny lights are really bothering you, put something in front of the amp, like a standing, opened book...

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #4,030 of 4,971

Vali is a hybrid tube amp. Led is only on the front, next to the headphone input. (Indicating, it is switched on.)
What you see inside as "red leds" those are the micro tubes. Giving you this great sound.
I wouldn't touch them or paint them. 
And I wouldn't use tape to cover the holes, as I assume, they are for cooling. 

If those tiny lights are really bothering you, put something in front of the amp, like a standing, opened book...

Actually there are LEDs, because, according to Schiit, "Submini tubes running 1.25V heaters don’t really glow, sorry."
But a further inspection of Vali's page revealed that the LEDs bias the output stage. 

Still, I don't think it will become red hot and melt if i cover the holes so maybe that's the solution.

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #4,031 of 4,971

The faintly glowing orange LEDs inside ARE a functional part of the circuit, however (I believe they are biasing LEDs). These cannot be removed.

I was also put off by the bright white LED, as I wanted to use my Vali on my nightstand. So I opened up the case and clipped that front panel LED right out. Had no effect on the functioning of the amp. Now I can actually use the Vali at night in the dark just before I drift off to sleep.

I find that those little orange biasing LEDs inside are bright enough to tell me the amp is on, but faint enough to actually be pleasant in a dark room. Unless I'm looking directly at the amp, I don't even notice the faint orange glow, even in pitch darkness. If you are concerned about using the amp in the dark, these little orange LEDs are not the problem. The front panel LED is.

You can use paint or tape on the bright front LED, but the Vali has a lot of holes where the bright white light can escape, even with the front of the LED fully taped.

It happens because the LED also illuminates from the back, and fills the inside of the amp with bright light. It leaks out into the room through the vent holes on top and from the gap surrounding the volume knob.

To fully block out all the light from that LED, you'd have to open up the amp and also paint/tape the back side of the LED (to keep it from illuminating the inside and leaking out the holes).

Clipping the LED out did the trick for me. Now my favorite bedside amp.

I have have a second Vali with the front panel LED intact, and can't detect a difference in how they sound.

Thanks!

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #4,032 of 4,971
Ok. But anyway they are part of the circuit. They have function.
Just as the holes on the top. They are there probably not for making the Vali Lighter... 

Jun 20, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #4,033 of 4,971

Apparently some do not.
tongue.gif

So I opened up the case and clipped that front panel LED right out. Had no effect on the functioning of the amp. Now I can actually use the Vali at night in the dark just before I drift off to sleep.

I guess you could replace the white LED with a UV one, then you'll only have a faint purple glow and you will be able to see any scorpions that are sneaking about.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back