NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Jun 6, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #3,991 of 4,971
  Ugh, I don't even have it yet and it already sounds like I won't want to keep it. 
confused_face.gif

To be honest., given the choice between the Vali and Magni, I go with the Magni. Sorry about that. If its on the way, try it. 

Jun 6, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #3,993 of 4,971
  I just compared a Vali and Magni using an A/B switch, matching the volume with an HE-500. They sounded the same.

I did the same thing for a couple of minutes with an A/B box.  They were almost identical, but I did notice an audible difference in snare drums.  They were definitively less "sharp" on the vali, which may be better for some folks.  Might be less fatiguing for longer sessions.

Jun 6, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #3,994 of 4,971

I did the same thing for a couple of minutes with an A/B box.  They were almost identical, but I did notice an audible difference in snare drums.  They were definitively less "sharp" on the vali, which may be better for some folks.  Might be less fatiguing for longer sessions.

Ha! Then it may have a place among my other amps. Hope it's all it's cracked up to be. I do listen non stop 8 hours so maybe that will be ideal.

Jun 6, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #3,995 of 4,971

Mine was the same. Either I got a better set of tubes that handles transients better or perhaps you didn't match the volumes 100% identical. I find that the volumes must be very carefully matched. If you have the time, give it another try.

Jun 8, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #3,997 of 4,971
Hey guys, I have a couple of questions about the Vali. So from reading the forums I noticed that a lot of people like the Vali with the Dt880's (*cough* Mshenay *cough* :p), and that's the main reason I want it. BUT, since the Vali has an output impedance of 6.5 ohms I figured it would not be good with low impedence headphones and IEMs. Most of my headphones are under 70 ohms (expect the 880)so my question is, if I get an impedance adapter which evens out the impedance to about 200 ohms,, Will that fix the problem?

Jun 8, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #3,998 of 4,971
My 18 ohm Sennheiser Momentums and 32 ohm Grado SR 125s sound amazing on the Schiit Vali. Even my $10 60 ohm Koss KTX Pro 1 sounds like a hi-fi headphone with the Vali.

My 50ohm HD 598 sounds great also with this amp.

Jun 8, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #4,000 of 4,971
I did when I had the Vali on a low lying TV table, but now I have it up high on a tall entertainment center connected to the back of my HDTV, and I do not get any hiss at all. Not exactly sure why but that's the situation

Jun 8, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #4,001 of 4,971
I did when I had the Vali on a low lying TV table, but now I have it up high on a tall entertainment center connected to the back of my HDTV, and I do not get any hiss at all. Not exactly sure why but that's the situation

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback.

Jun 8, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #4,002 of 4,971
Don't you get any hiss?

If you are getting noise due to the headphone being sensitive you need an LPAD to attenuate the output of the Vali. At what is the position of the volume control of the Vali are you listening at?

Jun 8, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #4,004 of 4,971
You are welcome. I should say that when I had the hissing sound, I had it with my HD 600 as well as with my Momentum. The hissing and ringing in my ears was independent of the headphone I was using.

I have the same cans. I could hear noise when using the Momentums but not the HD600's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back