NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Apr 9, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #3,721 of 4,971
Yeah go with the D3 then. You're not going to be paying attention to the subtle details in sound when watching a movie. It's like they say in driving, 95% of your information is gathered from sight, and I'd imagine a similar ratio when watching a movie. People on who are giving impressions of various DACs are likely focused in on their music with their eyes closed to pick out the minute detail differences.

Apr 10, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #3,722 of 4,971
  Hi All. I'm new here to the forum, a long time lurker though. I just ordered a Vali and am looking forward to it. As a long time Guitarist and Builder of Guitar amps, I'd like to give a Little insight as to a possible cure for this "Tube Erection" problem that some of you are experiencing. Has anyone tried pushing down the tubes onto the pads, holding them in place with a light Clamp or tape and then apply a Little High temperature Silicone sealant on the underside of the tube tip or body and Chassis? I think once dried it would securely and safely hold the Tubes down more or less permanently. It works well in guitar amp applications. Hope this helps.

beerchug.gif
TwinACStacks

I'm using tube damper rings to push down the tubes onto the pads. I put the damper rings vertically on the tubes and reassembled the chassis. (It's somewhat difficult to reassemble the chassis with rings on tubes.) After using damper rings, the ringing is much reduced though it still exists. It's much better.

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #3,723 of 4,971
not sure if this will work with my TV after reading this review 

"The FiiO D03K ONLY ACCEPTS a PCM optical digital audio input and this is clearly stated on the unit. However, my brand new LG 32 inch LED TV only outputs a Dolby optical audio output and can not be programmed to output PCM. If you are buying the FiiO D03K to interface your TV to a legacy external audio Hi-Fi system, first make really sure that your TV can output a PCM optical audio signal."

My TV manual says Depending on your DVD player and DVD-Audio software the copyright protection function may operate and disable optical output.

When ATSC channel is selected, the output from the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT jack will be Dolby Digital. When channel is selected, the output will be PCM.

When playing a movie on movie maker, when sound is recorded in Dolby Digital, the output from the Digital Audio Out terminal will be Dolby Digital. When the sound is recorded in other formats, the output will be PCM.

what does this mean will the Fii0 D3 work with my TV?

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #3,724 of 4,971
This tv Fiio issue is not Vali related at all.
Take it elsewhere please.

Apr 12, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #3,726 of 4,971
Using my Vali with the HD600 with my Unison Research CDP, the sound can simply be said as awesome! The Modi is also a splendid DAC imo. Am using it with the LD Mk III to drive my HD600 as well with Acer laptop as source with Usb out. Another splendid pairing to say the least. Highly recommended mini components!

Apr 13, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #3,727 of 4,971
I've been using the vali over the past few weeks and I must say this is a very good amp. I've been using it with my hd800 and I don't feel for one second that its underwhelming and for the price I don't see any reason for anyone who's looking for a low price amp to drive the 800 not to pick it up. Well done Jason.

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #3,728 of 4,971
I came to really appreciate the Vali for it's hyper micro details.  More expensive amps gave more slam and macro dynamics but nothing has given me the level of micro-detail that this thing is giving me.  It's smooth but hyper detailed.  What the Vali does well, in the area of it's strength, it really competes with amps 5 to 10 times it's price.  

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #3,729 of 4,971
With a source outputting higher voltages into the Vali, it is able to drive the HD800 admirably (for the price). With my Unison Research CDP and the Vali, I am able to get some body with my metal tunes so it's a pretty good budget-fi match until one can save enough to upgrade the amp further.

Apr 13, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #3,731 of 4,971
The Rega DAC is an excellent choice! I've used it tithe the Vali and Woo WA6.  It pairs well with both and probably would any other amp that works well with the HD800.

Quote:
  Anyone have experience with the Vali and a Rega DAC Together? I am using HD800 Headphones. thanks

Apr 14, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #3,732 of 4,971
Just checking back in, I have the modi->magni->he-400 stack... Might need a Voli too now

Apr 14, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #3,735 of 4,971

Surprised...isn't just solid state vs tube...why is vali so much better to you? 
confused_face_2.gif

The quality of sound is different to my ears. Vali is more musical. Something in the sound that is very engaging and draws you in.

The Magni has more power, but is stiffer and deader sounding to me. A little too controlled such that it doesn't breathe as much. Micro-dynamics on the Magni seem more boring, predictable, and "samey."

Magni does have the advantage of a much lower noise floor, which is nice when listening in a quiet environment like bed. But I still prefer the Vali.

So I like the Vali better for those reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back