NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Jan 21, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #3,091 of 4,971
I'm really enjoying the Gungnir > Vali > LCD-X. The Vali is a massive step forward in SQ from my first headphone amp, the Pro-Ject Head Box S. 

Comfortable volume around 8-9 o'clock. 

I'm going to listen to my digital set up for a while and then put it over by the turntable for a bit.

I couldn't be happier considering how little it costs. 

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #3,092 of 4,971
That depends on the can's sensitivity.

They're DT770 pro's

I've tried finding how this amp pairs with the 80Ω's in general but every post I've found is the 250Ω

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #3,093 of 4,971
  A man went to visit his doctor. When the doctor came in to see him, he asked the man what seemed to be the problem.

The man said, "My arm hurts when I do this." The man then proceeded to bend his arm to an awkward angle.

The doctor said, "What happens when you don't do that to your arm?"

The man replied, "Well, it feels just fine."

The doctor replied, "I recommend you stop bending your arm like that. That'll be $119 dollars, please."

The man visits another doctor for a 2nd opinion. Doctor says:

If you pre-bend the ligaments in your arm, that will solve 90% of your problem. And for the other 10%, stop bending your arm like that!

$119, please.

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #3,094 of 4,971
letting y'all know, i just put my vali up for sale, check out the f/s thread,

Jan 21, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #3,098 of 4,971
The "ringing" is a non-issue. Forget about it. Jeez.

I have to second this. Before, the ringing would go away in a short period of time, and I personally think people were making a mountain out of a mole hill. It really wasn't THAT bad, at least not after you'd had your headphone plugged in and the volume adjusted, and we're willing to wait a minute or so before you started listening.

Now they've made some adjustments that really make the ringing a non-issue, so much so that you actually have to try to make it ring by tapping on it. I believe these adjustments are just bending the tube leads and pressing the pads down to keep the tubes attached to the board, so even if you got your unit early on you can do these things at home. And if your not comfortable doing these things you can ship it to Schiit and they'll fix it for you (that's what I did :) )

I guess I think Schiit has quickly taken care of the ringing issue, and it shouldn't affect your decision to purchase or not. If you do purchase one, I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with it :)

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #3,099 of 4,971
 ~~The "ringing" is a non-issue. Forget about it. Jeez.

~~I have to second this. Before, the ringing would go away in a short period of time, and I personally think people were making a mountain out of a mole hill. It really wasn't THAT bad, at least not after you'd had your headphone plugged in and the volume adjusted, and we're willing to wait a minute or so before you started listening. Now they've made some adjustments that really make the ringing a non-issue, so much so that you actually have to try to make it ring by tapping on it. I believe these adjustments are just bending the tube leads and pressing the pads down to keep the tubes attached to the board, so even if you got your unit early on you can do these things at home. And if your not comfortable doing these things you can ship it to Schiit and they'll fix it for you (that's what I did smily_headphones1.gif ) I guess I think Schiit has quickly taken care of the ringing issue, and it shouldn't affect your decision to purchase or not. If you do purchase one, I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with it smily_headphones1.gif

I totally agree. Ringing is a non issue as far as I'm concerned. It has been blown so far out of proportion at this point. I only hear ringing right after I switch it on for about 30 seconds. Other then that it's non existent. Ringing should not sway anyone from buying the amp IMO.

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #3,100 of 4,971
Yes, for all intents and purposes, the ringing issue has been solved.

If you are using it in a normal home listening environment, ringing should be a non-consideration in your decision making.

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #3,101 of 4,971
Are you guys done going on about the ringing? At this point my head is ringing from all this chatter about ringing.
blink.gif

Anyone have anything to say about how this amp sounds or not sounds to them?

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #3,102 of 4,971
vali sound goooooood,   
cool.gif

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #3,104 of 4,971
At first I noticed the distortion specs were a bit high for a modern amp. I also have an Asgard 2 which has exceptional distortion specs. So I figured, for $119, What go for it. Well, even though I can hear a touch of harmonic distortion it seems to be even order which is not bad sounding. The IM isn't in my face. This amp sounds good, it had good FR and I can hear the details of the music. The amp is small so it sits by my computer for when I work at home and listen to music It's small and light enough to just pick up and take it around the house to another room. Even though I have other amps, I will not be using the return policy, this baby is staying.

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #3,105 of 4,971
  At first I noticed the distortion specs were a bit high for a modern amp. I also have an Asgard 2 which has exceptional distortion specs. So I figured, for $119, What go for it. Well, even though I can hear a touch of harmonic distortion it seems to be even order which is not bad sounding. The IM isn't in my face. This amp sounds good, it had good FR and I can hear the details of the music. The amp is small so it sits by my computer for when I work at home and listen to music It's small and light enough to just pick up and take it around the house to another room. Even though I have other amps, I will not be using the return policy, this baby is staying.

How is it for driving the HE-500? I ordered one as well. I was curious how it would sound with my HD800 in comparison to Crack, and also they confirmed the input impedance is 50K ohms so preamping with my Quickie should work fine. But really it's likely that I will be keeping it at work with the Modi and KEF M500. I'm hoping the 32 ohm/103 dB sensitivity of the M500 will be passable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back