NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Jan 9, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #2,776 of 4,971
I tried those and some SRH-1840 pads and they make the bass totally go out the window on the DJ100. With the DJ100 it depends a lot on a good seal and the size of your ears.
The DJ100 can probably sound muffled with stock pads for those that have huge ears. SRH-840 pads do work well for some with the DJ100 but not for me.

Too much air between your ears and the driver and there is too much treble presence and you get a thinner sound. I think this is why the SRH-840 pads were so bad.

Surprised that I didn't get lots of noise/hiss with the DJ100 and Vali. It was pretty silent and it's 38ohm.

Vali was pretty amazing with the Q701 and wish I got similar results with everything!

BTW that driver in your avatar looks very similar to the DJ100 driver:
(it's not a KSC75/PortaPro driver)

My ears are medium sized and fit comfortably in the stock cups. The material is plasticky and slippery which makes it hard to keep them in place. I'll order a pair of M50 pads with my HiFiMAN pad order here in a few days. Another mod suggestions other than pads or should I just enjoy them?

It's actually the Fidelio X1 driver, maybe that driver design is what guarantees a great headphone.

Jan 9, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #2,779 of 4,971
  I ask again, has anyone personally tried the Vali+Modi combo on HE-400's?

If it works for the HE 500 I think it should work for the HE 400 as well, since both share a simmilar bass and treble

I owned the HE 400, btw 

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #2,783 of 4,971
It's a good combo. The hiss is less on the he400 than my other cans. It tames the highs and gives a lot of punch. Full bodied sound.

I have tried the vali with HE-400s and it sounds terrific, better than my HD600s.

figured it would be that way :3

happy to hear the combo is good :D

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #2,784 of 4,971
  I ask again, has anyone personally tried the Vali+Modi combo on HE-400's?

i have the modi and vali and it is definitely a good combo.  my initial impression was that the he-400 sounded the best with the vali when compared to the he-500 and the lcd-2.  however, i had my vali replaced due to...wait for it...excessive ringing (tubes were loose and would not stay down, any movement of the cord would produce audible ringing, etc.).  Now i actually feel all three headphones sound pretty amazing with the vali.  what the vali does for the he-400, at least to me, was smooth out some of the treble without losing the overall energy.

the difference in ringing between my first and second vali was significant, and probably in a statistical way (although i have no way to prove it).  schiit handled the situation perfectly, and reinforced my decision to purchase their products.

sorry for the promotional spot, but thought it would be nice to give them some positive feedback (as if they need more)  :)

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #2,785 of 4,971
Alright, thanks guys. I'll probably order it within a couple of months. I'm just a bit hesitant, because I need to order it from the US and I live in Finland, so if it's faulty, the returns are always a bit of a mess. I also hope I can avoid paying for the customs/VAT, usually they won't even bother asking for any payment, though.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #2,786 of 4,971
  Got mine about a week ago. Paired with the HD800, sounds great! I don't get any ringing or noise whatsoever, even when tapping or unplugging headphones.

Maybe you're not tapping hard enough? Bang that SOB until your fingers bleed, don't give up! Until then-don't post in this thread please. Impressions aren't allowed here-only microphonics posts-real, imagined, natural, or hammer-made. Please.

-Daniel

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #2,787 of 4,971
Maybe you're not tapping hard enough? Bang that SOB until your fingers bleed, don't give up! Until then-don't post in this thread please. Impressions aren't allowed here-only microphonics posts-real, imagined, natural, or hammer-made. Please.

-Daniel

Hahahahaha

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #2,789 of 4,971

-Daniel

^ Lolz. Just saw this. May be there should be a thread on how much and how long the vali rings in response to impacts by various objects like fingers, screw drivers, chicken wings, etc.

or not.

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #2,790 of 4,971
^ Lolz. Just saw this. May be there should be a thread on how much and how long the vali rings in response to impacts by various objects like fingers, screw drivers, chicken wings, etc.

or not.

I think so too. One thing i've found is there is a nice device you can try that makes the ringing go away after about 1000 hours.
I would suggest putting it inside a desk drawer while asleep:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back