NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Oct 12, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #121 of 4,971

The Vali is a no brainer at the price. I think someone else mentioned this is the best amp under $1600 or whatever. With the current headphones I have, I feel the same way, at least with what I know is available today at this very minute. Paired with with a good DAC, the Vali just sucks you in. I mean, I should be wrapping up on some company work right now, but I find myself so distracted listening to various headphones. And this is from someone who has pretty much sworn off headphones in favor of speakers.

I'll let people decide for themselves when the Vali is available in a few weeks.

Pretty strong words here..... any chance you could comment more on Mjolnir vs Vali? I wouldn't think they would really give much of a comparison, but it sure seems like you think so. 

Also those measurements...

Oct 12, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #122 of 4,971
Considering the differences in amps aren't as staggering as headfi as a whole makes it seem, I would trust purrin. As long as an amp isn't crap, it should hold it's own. I have no doubt the Vali is probably gonna trade blows with amps worth much more.

Oct 12, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #123 of 4,971
At $119 the risk seems minimal. I'm buying one as soon as there is a buy button to click. I'll have to practice sitting absolutely still like a stone so that I don't cause the tubes to vibrate for 60 seconds.

Oct 12, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #124 of 4,971
The only thing need to be aware of is that it's not going to pair up well with sensitive Dynamics with low impedance.

That mismatch will most likely happen here, and we'll see people complaining because they didn't do their homework beforehand.

Oct 12, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #125 of 4,971
The only thing need to be aware of is that it's not going to pair up well with sensitive Dynamics with low impedance.

That mismatch will most likely happen here, and we'll see people complaining because they didn't do their homework beforehand.

I foresee a future Vali impressions thread half full of peoples complaints involving impedance mismatch because they didn't do their homework.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 12, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #126 of 4,971

" My Momentum sounds like crap with the Vali ..

original.gif

.. THIS AMP SUCKS !!! "

Oct 12, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #127 of 4,971
I foresee a future Vali impressions thread half full of peoples complaints involving impedance mismatch because they didn't do their homework.
:rolleyes:

Why the sarcasm?

You wouldn't believe how many private messages I get with people asking me things that a simple forum search could answer. Like if a 600ohm Beyerdynamic would be fine for laptop use without an amp, etc.

I didn't say the thread would be half full. I mean it's bound to happen. There will be people that will buy the Vali, and try to pair it up with easy to drive portables, etc.

Or do you honestly think there won't be?

Oct 12, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #128 of 4,971
Why the sarcasm?

You wouldnt believe how many private messages I get with people asking me things thatba simple forum search could answer. Like if a 600ohm Beyerdynamic would be fine for laptop use without an amp, etc.

I didn't say the thread would be half full. I mean it's bound to happen. People will buy the Vali, and try to pair it up with easy to drive portables, etc.

No sarcasm at all intended whatsoever. We've both been on head-fi long enough to see the slew of posts on various threads involving people complaining when the answer is they didn't do their research. It's become part of the coarse on head-fi so your statement involving messages you have gotten doesn't surprise me at all because I've also gotten them.
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #129 of 4,971
Ah ok. Wasn't sure.

Schiit has been pretty upfront and honest about their stuff, and mentioned about the higher distortion and output impedance, so people should definitely understand that they're not gonna get the best performance if they're hooking up the wrong kind of headphone to it.

Oct 12, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #130 of 4,971

" My Momentum sounds like crap with the Vali ..

original.gif

.. THIS AMP SUCKS !!! "

hehehehe....cute.

hey did u realise when the table was flipped, the amp wasnt on it.. 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 12, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #132 of 4,971
So this is a no for Grados? Because my Grados pair quite well with a Magni...

Oct 12, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #133 of 4,971
So this is a no for Grados? Because my Grados pair quite well with a Magni...

As if on cue...

The Vali doesn't pair up well with highly sensitive, low impedance headphones like Grados.

The Vali =/= Magni, so if you need something for your Grados, stick to the Magni?

The Vali has a higher distortion and output impedance... not suited for those cans.

Oct 12, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #134 of 4,971
Haha thanks :wink:
I just wanted to make EXTRA sure before I went and purchased it. Better now than later.

Oct 12, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #135 of 4,971
As if on cue...

The Vali doesn't pair up well with highly sensitive, low impedance headphones like Grados.

The Vali =/= Magni, so if you need something for your Grados, stick to the Magni?

The Vali has a higher distortion and output impedance... not suited for those cans.

How about a Mad Dog? 50 Ohms, planar, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back